Pacific princess hit breakwater In port nice

princessfanboy

A passenger on the October 16th sailing out of Barcelona received an email saying that cruise has been cancelled.

I wonder if the following cruise out of Civatavecchia (sp?) on October 28th will be cancelled?

A passenger on the October 16th sailing out of Barcelona received an email saying that cruise has been cancelled.

I wonder if the following cruise out of Civatavecchia (sp?) on October 28th will be cancelled?

I hope not. We are on that 12 day cruise with you and also the following 12 day cruise from Venice. We have our fingers crossed!

John & Patsy

We're on the 12-day cruise beginning on Nov. 9th, with two non-refundable overnights already booked in Venice pre-cruise, so I sure hope our cruise happens. A lot of people like us are going to be waiting for the decisions that will be made. Hopefully Princess decides that the ship is not too old and small to be worth fixing. Thanks to the person who began this strand and to others who can provide new information.

Princess is handling things right.

Princess will provide a full refund and future cruise credit for the affected sailing. It also will cover transportation and accommodations for passengers through October 16, when the cruise was originally scheduled to conclude.

I hope not. We are on that 12 day cruise with you and also the following 12 day cruise from Venice. We have our fingers crossed!

John & Patsy

That sucks you wait a long for the cruise planning everything, and then it gets cancelled :(. I hope it works out not just for you but all that have booked already.

Do I assume correctly that the harbor pilot would have been in control of the ship?

No. The harbor pilot advises but the captain continues to command the ship. The only exception I know about is the Panama Canal where the canal pilots do take the controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princess is handling things right.

Princess will provide a full refund and future cruise credit for the affected sailing. It also will cover transportation and accommodations for passengers through October 16, when the cruise was originally scheduled to conclude.

What is Princess doing for the PAX who were on this sailing and the 10/16, which is canceled and are on the cruise after that one? (PAX doing B2B2B)?

Just read 28th October cruise is cancelled.

Oops poster of that got it wrong he was on the 16th to 28th cruise he forgot to put 16th up and just put 28th so fingers crossed for those sailing on that one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by RaeBay

No. The harbor pilot advises but the captain continues to command the ship. The only exception I know about is the Panama Canal where the canal pilots do take the controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Panama Canal pilots do not "take the controls" if you mean actually steering/handling the ship. Neither does the Captain, except for the actual close docking from the wings. As a third party, the Canal pilots are not authorized to operate any ship's equipment, so the normal bridge crew of two officers of the watch and a helmsman will take the pilot's commands and move the helm or signal on the engine telegraph. Pilots have to ask permission even before changing the range display on the radars.

The other location where the Captain relinquishes command is entering/leaving drydock. In both drydock and the Panama Canal, the shipyard or Canal Authority take financial responsibility for the ship, so they are allowed to command.