Steward Goodies!

TriciaEMTB

I got the idea from here to leave some suprirses for the Cabin Steward. I was thinking of leaving him/her something each day, or randomly one night leave him/her one goody bag!

Soooo I need some ideas. What are some things aside from an extra tip that they would appreciate?

Lucy Van Pelt: ...I never get what I really want. I always get a lot of stupid toys or a bicycle or clothes or something like that.

Charlie Brown: What is it you want?

Lucy Van Pelt: Real estate.

:p

This is a link to the cabin size

I talked to a cabin steward once and he said most of the stuff they get goes in the trash because they just dont have the space to keep it. Money is really the best gift, it always fits :)

Have to agree, money works and money talks.

You can say everything you want about phone calling cards, little novelties from your hometown or whatever, but your room stewards can put best use to those green colored ``items'' you leave in your cabin to their attention.:)

Dianne

I have left my cabin stewart my left over alcohol that I didn't want to bring home. He even came in the room with us during our party one night we had on the balcony and he was drinking with us and having a good time:) We also buy chocolate in the gift shop for the room stewart and asst. maitre'd. She has been in there each time we sailed and she just loves chocolate:) Before she changed ships we bought her a carnival triumph key chain (we knew to buy her something that she probably wouldn't buy herself). It was also a reminder of where we first meet and the ship she sailed on for so long before leaving and going to a new ship to be the Maitre'D!!! She said that is the best thing we could have got her beside a $40 box of chocolate because she said she wouldn't have bought the key chain on her own!!

This is a link to the cabin size

I talked to a cabin steward once and he said most of the stuff they get goes in the trash because they just dont have the space to keep it. Money is really the best gift, it always fits :)

I don't doubt that that is the truth, especially if the gift isn't consumable. Our cabins are palatial compared to what they have to manage in..... I love to give gifts too but cash is probably the most appreciated gift we could give them.

It's a nice idea, but really, cash is always the most appropriate gift. Please do not give them chocolates. A steward on the Liberty told me that they only throw it away and wished that passengers would not offer gifts.

Lucy Van Pelt: ...I never get what I really want. I always get a lot of stupid toys or a bicycle or clothes or something like that.

Charlie Brown: What is it you want?

Lucy Van Pelt: Real estate.

:p

Exactly so. And what your cabin stewards really want--and need--is money. That's why they're doing this job that takes them away from their families for months--years--at a time. Their cabins are very, very small, and they don't have room--or any desire for--the sentimental gifts people give them. Trust me, you will never go wrong with money.

This subject comes up quite often and it seems it's always met with the suggestion that one not give gifts/trinkets/etc due to the size of the stewards living quarters and the amount of passengers they serve, imagine if everyone left a trinket. As nice as it sounds I think the nicest thing you can do is appreciate your steward and if you choose to leave them something leave them a thank you note with some extra cash, it doesn't take up space and it can be used for items that they really need/want. I always bring small thank you cards and jot a few lines and add some cash. On one of our cruises we had a wonderful bartender that worked at one of the pool bars, we enjoyed talking with her and she loved telling us about her family, she really made our trip enjoyable. The day before we left we gave her a card and she came and found us the next day and she was crying and said how much it meant to her, she said she sends any extra cash she receives home to her family.

I take a picture of my Steward, and make a print of it in the Photo kiosk, and give it to him with his tip.

Also, last time I bought a paper puncher so he can make eyes for the towel animals each night. It makes his job easier.

Melanie

I got the idea from here to leave some suprirses for the Cabin Steward. I was thinking of leaving him/her something each day, or randomly one night leave him/her one goody bag!

Soooo I need some ideas. What are some things aside from an extra tip that they would appreciate?

A simple Thank You.;)

i generally just give extra cash, but on one cruise, our cabin attendant said she loved pringles and chips ahoy cookies, so when we got to san juan, i ran to the CVS and got a few small packs of cookies (they didn't have big packs) and a can of pringles...she thought i'd given her a million dollars and that i 'spent too much, they are so expensive...' it made her day!!

she also got extra cash at the end, and a very nice mention in a letter to the boss......next cruise i ran into her, and she said thanks for the recognition-seems that they read my letter at a crew meeting or something...

Money and excellent comments on the comment card (if you happen to get one). Mention them by name....they are incented with a day off, etc.

I told my cabin steward once that I was going to mention how great his service was and he asked kindly to please include his name in the comments. He wouldnt stop thanking me.

I would give extra cash at the end if it is warranted. If you wanna leave some little thing each day, you might wanna give them chocolate (Hershey's miniatures are good) or some snack food. I have seen them shopping Walmart in PV and they tend to buy themselves lots of snacks.

I don't care what one decides to give their room steward as a tip, but I can never understand why someone would give their room steward chocolate. They have access to more chocolate than any of us will ever see. They leave us chocolate each night so why would we give them chocolate?

I'm pretty sure they appreciate cash more than chocolate.

I also take thank you cards and write them a thankyou note with some cash at the end of the trip. I also bring small bags of cheeto's that are made here in my home town, kinda as a this is what we make were we are from kind of gift. The stewards were not long polishing of the bags of snaks outside our cabin door

Food items, phone cards may sound like a good idea, but the reality is if you give cash, they can buy what they like and make the phone calls that they want without a preset budget, or having to eat what you favorite chips are. They can chose it themselves. Little gifts and trinkets are silly. Think if you received 25 to them a week. What would you do?

Cash and a thank you. Those are the two most powerful gifts you can get and give.

i generally just give extra cash, but on one cruise, our cabin attendant said she loved pringles and chips ahoy cookies, so when we got to san juan, i ran to the CVS and got a few small packs of cookies (they didn't have big packs) and a can of pringles...she thought i'd given her a million dollars and that i 'spent too much, they are so expensive...' it made her day!! "

I'm not sure how it just happened to come up that the attendant mentioned her fondness for cans of Pringles and Chips Ahoy cookies but I'd say you got off easy. She could have just as casually mentioned her love of diamond tiaras and bracelets. :rolleyes:

I have a difficult time buying gifts for people I know so I would not even attempt to guess what to give to a complete stranger and why anyway? They are there to do a job and I leave them a tip.

However, I did see a post where someone left a bowl of candy out and told the steward to help himself. That would seem all right.

Archived