Cruising and whatsapp

BubbaBoo

I’mjust a week away from leaving on my first vacation in 6 years since I took inmy (now 7yr) nephew and (now 4 yr) niece. Though I beyond excited to get away, I’ve never left them for more thanovernight before. So just wondering if anyone used WhatsApp to keep in contactwith family while cruising? How well didit work? I'll be cruising the Western Caribbean.

Melinda

It will work fine when you connect to wifi. Can either pay for the ship's internet or connect in port at various businesses. Just be sure you have your data roaming and/or cellular connections turned off. Data roaming is ridiculously expensive.

Unlimited satellite internet (slow) costs around $30 per day x length of cruise (have to buy for the duration of cruise).

DO NOT be tempted to use your phone cell service on the ship. It will work fine,,,, but You will pay the “pay per use” rate from YOUR phone company. My company, att, charges $2.05/MB ($2005 per GB) and $2.50 per minute for calls.

DO NOT use your phone on shore unless you have purchased an international plan/ day pass. The rates on land can be more than on the ship.

You MUST plan ahead when traveling internationally.

For ports, look up your provider's plans. AT&T offers plans that cost $20 per day in most countries. But you need to call and set it up. On board ship is just plain expensive as noted above.

A lot of plans are usable in Puerto Rico and the USVI, once all their infrastructure is repaired.

For ports, look up your provider's plans. AT&T offers plans that cost $20 per day in most countries.

AT&T International Day Pass is (as cheap as) $10 per day. It worked great for us this past summer in Canada.

A couple of weeks ago on the Escape, I paid $35 for the social plan for the whole cruise. I had wapp 24/7 during the cruise or while I was on the ship. Was excellent value. Don't know about other ships. I'm going next week on the Breakaway and hopefully they have it too.

A couple of weeks ago on the Escape, I paid $35 for the social plan for the whole cruise. I had wapp 24/7 during the cruise or while I was on the ship. Was excellent value. Don't know about other ships. I'm going next week on the Breakaway and hopefully they have it too.

Last I heard only Escape and Getaway have this plan. Hopefully it goes fleet wide very soon!