Carnvial Ecstasy First Time Cruiser questions

Are there planned activities early (8:00- 9:00 a.m.) in the morning? I tend to wake up early, without internet (expensive and I have read slow service on the ship), I need something to do. I love to walk but just wondering if there are planned activities early in the day.

I also eat a gluten free, low carb diet. Are there good food choices for me?

We are really looking forward to our first cruise in August.

Low carb and gluten free is no problem, there are always lots of meat, vegetable, etc., choices. If you're ever unsure if a selection is gluten free, check with a server or cook. They will tell you - this goes for Lido, the dining room, anywhere food is served.

There isn't much going on in the mornings, you may see trivia on the promenade, wake-up yoga/stretches in the gym, etc. On sea days the activities really don't start to kick in until 10 or so.

Thank you! Any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate. Any "secrets" that you might know as a former cruiser on Ecstasy would be helpful.

For our first cruise we are taking a 4 night cruise to Nassau. We don't have any planned excursions. Is it better to take cash or use a credit card on the island.

If anyone has any recommendations for Nassau, please share them with me.

Thank you! Any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate. Any "secrets" that you might know as a former cruiser on Ecstasy would be helpful.

For our first cruise we are taking a 4 night cruise to Nassau. We don't have any planned excursions. Is it better to take cash or use a credit card on the island.

If anyone has any recommendations for Nassau, please share them with me.

I have never done any excursions in Nassau, I've just gotten off the ship and walked around the area. Junkanoo beach is a 15 minute walk. Straw market, shops, etc are right off the ship. There is the Queen's Staircase which is close by as well. You can find a lot of information on excursions and things to do in the Nassau forum. I know a popular choice is to go to Atlantis, which is a resort sort of like a Las Vegas hotel that you can see from the ship when docked - it's on an island.

I always take cash in small bills. Never more than $5's off the ship, maybe $50 total unless I want something specific. That makes it easier to negotiate with sellers. If they're asking $15 for something, I'll pull out a wad and say "looks like I've got $8 here, will that buy it?" usually they say yes.

You might have people asking you to follow them into their booth, decline. They're not dangerous but it's just a tactic to get you to buy from them. Likewise if someone puts a bracelet on your wrist as a "gift" then expects payment. Just say no.

The straw market is all cash, the shops around the straw market will take cards - shops like Pandora, diamonds, etc. I don't stop at those. If you do you may want to bring a Visa or MasterCard, I wouldn't want to carry $5k in cash to buy a diamond ring.

On the ship I don't really have any secrets I guess although I do know the Ecstasy like the back of my hand. Just realize that the rear elevators are hardly ever busy, so use them whenever possible.

I did find an artist in Nassau that creates beautiful original paintings of Bahamian scenes on our first trip to Nassau, and we've gone back to her and bought new paintings each time. She is in the straw market.

If this is your first cruise, my advice in the morning is, relax on the deck and soak in the scenery. Maybe it’s just me, but looking at the water can be relaxing almost mesmerizing. Then as the day goes on, there will be more formal things to do

The best thing for me about cruising is that I can relax, do things I want to do without having to plan everything out. Not saying you are the same way. But just being on the ocean is cool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If this is your first cruise, my advice in the morning is, relax on the deck and soak in the scenery. Maybe it’s just me, but looking at the water can be relaxing almost mesmerizing. Then as the day goes on, there will be more formal things to do

The best thing for me about cruising is that I can relax, do things I want to do without having to plan everything out. Not saying you are the same way. But just being on the ocean is cool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love the ocean! We usually go to Hilton Head Island for vacation. I love walks on the beach morning and night and just hearing the waves crashing in. We booked a balcony room so we can enjoy the water even more. I can see myself just soaking up the atmosphere from a deck chair.

I want to relax yet take in activities just because this is our first cruise and I want to know and experience all I can.

I have never done any excursions in Nassau, I've just gotten off the ship and walked around the area. Junkanoo beach is a 15 minute walk. Straw market, shops, etc are right off the ship. There is the Queen's Staircase which is close by as well. You can find a lot of information on excursions and things to do in the Nassau forum. I know a popular choice is to go to Atlantis, which is a resort sort of like a Las Vegas hotel that you can see from the ship when docked - it's on an island.

I always take cash in small bills. Never more than $5's off the ship, maybe $50 total unless I want something specific. That makes it easier to negotiate with sellers. If they're asking $15 for something, I'll pull out a wad and say "looks like I've got $8 here, will that buy it?" usually they say yes.

You might have people asking you to follow them into their booth, decline. They're not dangerous but it's just a tactic to get you to buy from them. Likewise if someone puts a bracelet on your wrist as a "gift" then expects payment. Just say no.

The straw market is all cash, the shops around the straw market will take cards - shops like Pandora, diamonds, etc. I don't stop at those. If you do you may want to bring a Visa or MasterCard, I wouldn't want to carry $5k in cash to buy a diamond ring.

On the ship I don't really have any secrets I guess although I do know the Ecstasy like the back of my hand. Just realize that the rear elevators are hardly ever busy, so use them whenever possible.

I did find an artist in Nassau that creates beautiful original paintings of Bahamian scenes on our first trip to Nassau, and we've gone back to her and bought new paintings each time. She is in the straw market.

Thank you for all that great advice. We are at the back of the ship on Deck 6, so thank you for the elevator tip. I hope to take stairs whenever possible (without luggage preferably) so I can get some exercise and points on my Fitbit. lol I don't get many stairsteps at home.

I really appreciate your tips on Nassau. Is the food generally good at Nassau? Any recommendations for lunch?

I love the Ecstasy. It's a small ship with a lot of outdoor deck space. When I sail her I utilize all that space for a good morning workout walk. You can go around the lido deck to the back and take the stairs down to the serenity deck, cross that to the other steps and back up and around then up to the deck with the jogging track, around the jogging track a time or two, then onto another loop around the ship. You'll see what I mean once you wake up for your first onboard morning walk. I was in Nassau once and what mz-s said. Enjoy!

Thank you for all that great advice. We are at the back of the ship on Deck 6, so thank you for the elevator tip. I hope to take stairs whenever possible (without luggage preferably) so I can get some exercise and points on my Fitbit. lol I don't get many stairsteps at home.

I really appreciate your tips on Nassau. Is the food generally good at Nassau? Any recommendations for lunch?

I eat on the ship...it's already paid for. :-)

There are plenty of places to eat in Nassau from Senior Frogs all the the way to the famous Fish Fry area. You can google Fish Fry Nassau for more info on that. There is plenty to see and do within walking distance of the pier or their are plenty of cabs and horse drawn carriages as well. There are several beach areas within a short walk of the pier as well, just go right out of the gates. The beaches are public but there are bars and tiki huts where you can rent chairs & umbrellas and some have drink packages as well including "all you can drink". Be sure to have some cash, as there are no ATMs out that way and some places do not take cards. Eating on the ship is always a fine option but if you venture out it may not be that convenient. As with all ports, be sure to allow plenty of time to get back to the ship before sail away. If not, be sure to have your camera to get some good shots of Ecstasy sailing out of Nassau. :D

Oh my goodness... you're making me nostalgic! The Ecstasy was our very first cruise (out of Miami). In fact I think we went to Nassau! As far as food goes - don't worry - plenty of choices for all diets. I always giggle when I hear of people bringing snacks on the ship. Believe me, you don't need it. There's more than enough choices available. We would always hang out in the room and have coffee. You can also go to the lido and just peoplewatch first thing in the morning. If you're the type of person who really has to get the blood pumping in the morning, most ships have a jogging track on deck 11. Have fun!!

First cruise...just wait, you will fall in love with the whole experience. The first day I wake up on the ship is always early and I go to a hot tub(as soon as it is open). I love being one of the first guests in the hot tub and watching the ship come alive. It's early, the hot tub is fresh and clean, the decks are pretty empty and it starts the day off amazingly. After a bit in the hot tub, time to get out, dry off and have a bite to eat. Try it....my favorite day!

I always giggle when I hear of people bringing snacks on the ship. Believe me, you don't need it. There's more than enough choices available.
I don’t think it’s silly for someone to bring their favorite snack. Yeah, there’s a lot to eat on a cruise, but snacks are a different thing altogether. There’s a million common snacks that aren’t available on board. OP, if you do decide to take some, just make sure they’re in their manufacturers sealed packaging.

I wish I could remember where we ate (it was 9 years ago at this point), but it was DELICIOUS. I know the food is already paid for on the ship, but to me part of traveling is enjoying the local cuisine. And Bahamian food is quite unique.

When we were in Nassau, we got off and walked to the Queen's Steps, then saw the prison and some other historical sites. We then wandered and found the quaintest little place for lunch. So good. Then that afternoon we took a stingray swim on a shore excursion we booked ourselves. It was literally the exact same vendor as used by the ship (we met people from our NCL cruise as well as a group from Carnival -- they'd all booked through the ship) but about $20 less per person. And because it was also used for the ship shore excursions, surprise surprise they got us all back to the ship on time before sailing.

I don’t think it’s silly for someone to bring their favorite snack. Yeah, there’s a lot to eat on a cruise, but snacks are a different thing altogether. There’s a million common snacks that aren’t available on board. OP, if you do decide to take some, just make sure they’re in their manufacturers sealed packaging.

I understand about things being in sealed packaging, but what about individually wrapped things, such as chocolate truffles? Do I need to bring a bag that has never been opened, or can I bring a bag that is opened but each truffle is individually wrapped?

I understand about things being in sealed packaging, but what about individually wrapped things, such as chocolate truffles? Do I need to bring a bag that has never been opened, or can I bring a bag that is opened but each truffle is individually wrapped?

That's fine, the bag can be opened, basically what they are saying is no homemade or fresh food like fruit, meats, etc.

Agree with poster who suggested Fish Fry for lunch. Our two favorites are Oh Andros and Curly's. Have a great cruise.

Agree with poster who suggested Fish Fry for lunch. Our two favorites are Oh Andros and Curly's. Have a great cruise.

Thanks! Are both of these restaurants in walking distance of the ship? As of right now, we aren't planning an excursion. We just plan on walking around Nassau near the ship.

I forgot to ask, do these restaurants offer gluten free options? I love seafood but need it grilled or broiled.