Up or Down? Which level of the Koningsdam's MDR do you prefer?

stickey_mouse

Thanks for posting that catl. Informationally, Table 16 (Anytime table; lower dining room; Station 1) was in a CRAZILY loud and congested area with far too much activity to be enjoyable. In contrast, Table 90 (Fixed table; lower dining room; Station 4) was in a far quieter area, despite my concerns due to its location. From my vantage point, Section 407 had a HUGE glass multi-level walk-in wine cooler, which was really nice. I would say around that area is a prime location if you can't get near a window.

BTW, Table 87, next to us, never had anyone seated there during our entire 15 night cruise. Not sure if that's because they chose not to put Anytime diners there or not.

Just sayin': Currently (for dinner) the upstairs is assigned time and table; and the downstairs is "anytime dining". After about 1/2 and hour thay may place anytime diners upstairs at an empty table or sooner if they have a record of the passengers at an assigned table eating in a "speciality restaurant" that night.

... (for dinner) the upstairs is assigned time and table; and the downstairs is "anytime dining". After about 1/2 and hour thay may place anytime diners upstairs at an empty table or sooner if they have a record of the passengers at an assigned table eating in a "speciality restaurant" that night.
When we were on (Nov 2016) we had Open seating and our key cards indicated that we could go to either level. We chose upper.

Just sayin': Currently (for dinner) the upstairs is assigned time and table; and the downstairs is "anytime dining". After about 1/2 and hour thay may place anytime diners upstairs at an empty table or sooner if they have a record of the passengers at an assigned table eating in a "speciality restaurant" that night.
Do we know this is true for the Koningsdam? I thought it did both kinds on both levels.

Would you happen to know your table number? I actually had a MDR floor plan up and was thinking about requesting a particular table when I saw your post.

I checked a reliable web site for the dining room. We sat at table 132, only the table for 4 that's shown right next to us, wasn't there. Beside us was a 2-top, and the table for 4 was where the diagram shows our table. Hope this helps.

HAL dining room plans on the internet are fairly accurate compared to other cruise lines, but keep in mind there are a number of convertible tables that can be configured as deuces or larger sizes according to demand on any particular sailing.

Interesting about the comments about the lower dining room being more noisy than the upper dining room on Koningsdam. On the Vista and Signature Class ships, I have found the same thing to be true. I wonder why? A lower ceiling is the culprit maybe?

Interesting about the comments about the lower dining room being more noisy than the upper dining room on Koningsdam. On the Vista and Signature Class ships, I have found the same thing to be true. I wonder why? A lower ceiling is the culprit maybe?
I would've guessed that the ceiling was lower on the upper floor. Good to know!