P & O compared to Cunard

Jennizor

We have only cruised with P&O and Princess (10 in total) and have never had a bad experience. They weren't perfect but what holiday ever is? My lovely granddaughter has just joined QM2 on an eight month contract as a 'Cosmetician' ( Cunard's terminology not mine). Obviously I am very interested in her experience so I looked at recent reviews. Surprise, surprise, complaints about embarkation, food, formal nights, loads of plumbing issues, drink prices - a martini costing 20 dollars and lots more. We have elderly neighbours who only cruise with Cunard and never have a bad word to say about them. What I am saying is that for any new cruisers looking at this site, don't be put off by negative reviews, all views are relevant but personal to them. Give any cruise line a go and make your own mind up. Just enjoy.

Most cruise lines aim at a specific market sector which they identify and try to hone their services to be ideal for those people. Unfortunately there are occasions where a travel agent and or passengers are oblivious of this, travel and find the experience is exactly what they hate.

This type of thing happened to me once as a teenager when we were moving house a long way away and my parents friends had booked an expensive meal at a foreign restaurant for us all to say goodbye. The meal was horrible, basically because it was not English cuisine, and I had to bite my lip to stop me from laughing at the man dressed as a gypsy who came to our table and played a love tune on a violin.

You just need to know what you like in a holiday and make sure you are booking that type of experience. If you dislike the experience you have probably booked with the wrong cruise line as they always have a huge number of loyal enthusiasts that think they are marvellous.

Regards John

.... What I am saying is that for any new cruisers looking at this site, don't be put off by negative reviews, all views are relevant but personal to them. Give any cruise line a go and make your own mind up. Just enjoy.

Couldn't agree more with that statement! I took my first Cunard cruise for many years last June, having done many P&O cruises (and others) in the interim. I felt food on Queen Elizabeth was generally better than the P&O offering and service overall slightly more formal and in many ways a little better than P&O. I always do set dining, second sitting and found it somehow more calm on Cunard. Entertainment was - like on P&O - hit & miss.

Cunard fares are generally more expensive than P&O and yes, the drinks are definitely more expensive.

I would happily sail with either P&O or Cunard in the future.

Couldn't agree more with that statement! I took my first Cunard cruise for many years last June, having done many P&O cruises (and others) in the interim. I felt food on Queen Elizabeth was generally better than the P&O offering and service overall slightly more formal and in many ways a little better than P&O. I always do set dining, second sitting and found it somehow more calm on Cunard. Entertainment was - like on P&O - hit & miss.

Cunard fares are generally more expensive than P&O and yes, the drinks are definitely more expensive.

I would happily sail with either P&O or Cunard in the future.

I agree with all that.

People who sail with Cunard definitely look down their noses at P&O (one 'lady' looked like she had stood in something when I mentioned I usually sailed with P&O).

However the reality is the differences were marginal, with the exception of drinks prices which are exorbitant in comparison.

We have enjoyed P&O and Cunard holidays but they both have their good and bad points.

Cunard grill class beats the standard P&O MDR experience hands down. However book a decent cabin on P&O and then book select dining most nights and the balance equals out a bit.

Enjoy the cruise you are on the time, that's my motto.

I agree with all that.

People who sail with Cunard definitely look down their noses at P&O (one 'lady' looked like she had stood in something when I mentioned I usually sailed with P&O).

However the reality is the differences were marginal, with the exception of drinks prices which are exorbitant in comparison.

Equally having done many cruises experienced a lot of P&O cruisers look down their noses when you mention Thomson cruises. Whatever cruise line you cruise with there is always a minor amount of snobbery with some people.

People who sail with Cunard definitely look down their noses at P&O.

It's obviously OK on this board to make sweeping and insulting comments about people who use other lines, but as I have experienced, expressing a personal view about P&O that is negative results in a torrent of personal abuse. The same will probably happen now.