Is it just me ...?

molymoo

We have a cruise coming up this winter and for the first time I am not looking forward to it. That is a real bummer but unfortunately recent experiences have shadowed the excitement quite a bit.

Our last cruise was great, although for the first time we noted some big "misses" on our onboard experience ... but not so bad it spoiled the cruise. We chalked it up to the newness of the itinerary and the fact that there seemed to be a lot of "new" crew. Generally this is where Viking excels in making its passengers feel special and valued.

Our main issue has been dealing with the air team and the gatekeepers (agents answering the phone) that seem hell-bent on running interference for them. I had a simple question and spent fifteen minutes trying to get an answer ... having to communicate through the answering agent who tried to communicate back and forth for several minutes before finally transferring my call. The air agent answered the question but seemed annoyed with having to speak with me. I felt a bit like a scolded third grader when the call was terminated ... and the "survey" that was mentioned when I was on hold did not materialize. Anyone else have this sort of issue?

This and some other general issues have decidedly taken some of the fun out of the planning and preparation for our cruises. We have two more booked after this winter one and although we are not considering cancelling any at this time, I have no interest in looking at other possibilities that we might consider booking while onboard ... as that is the only way to get any sort of "deal" with Viking anymore. Yes, that annoys me too!

I have been working on a letter of complaint but not sure that tellus@Viking is the right place. Anyone have any experience with this "address" for complaints?

It's not just you. A friend recently sailed VO and loved the physical ship but had lots to say about the poor crew performance. She also noted lots of new, untrained crew. Now I will be the first to admit that I am happy the ships I ran only carried cargo and had few crew. Not sure I would have been good at the passenger thing or trying to get hundreds of crew to perform at a level that disappoints none of my 900 passengers..... Still, on the WC our biggest plus was the crew. Understandable that they loaded the initial World Cruise with the "best of the best" but there has to be a bit of consistency or VO will be no better than any of the Carnival brands. Retention of good crew should be a priority, not just hiring new crew from the Filipino Academy. It is a tough, tough job to train and retain crew. Most of us who go to sea for work do it because it pays well. It is for younger people and most depart for shore jobs when they have accumulated money and resume to do so. The shore staff is another kettle of fish. Any issues we have had with Viking involve shore staff or shore management. Shipboard management has been excellent. Lately we are trying to book another WC but getting firm pricing is a bit like playing Whack-A-Mole. So far we have had half a dozen explanations from now three Viking agents. And recently coming off the inaugural WC counts for nothing. Any other line would give perks for passengers ready to re up for another one. So, to answer you, it is not just you.:cool::cool:

Agree with the problems with the schizoid Viking home office. I booked onboard an about-to-be-released cruise for $400/pp discount. Sales guy called LA to get the pricing so we could get our discount. Found out when I got home the next week that the released list price was $550/pp less than I was quoted it would be. Somehow the onboard agent got the price wrong from LA HQ, or Viking changed their mind in 10 days. Screwed.

Agree with the problems with the schizoid Viking home office. I booked onboard an about-to-be-released cruise for $400/pp discount. Sales guy called LA to get the pricing so we could get our discount. Found out when I got home the next week that the released list price was $550/pp less than I was quoted it would be. Somehow the onboard agent got the price wrong from LA HQ, or Viking changed their mind in 10 days. Screwed.

You are right on. We have been going round and round with different offices. Their choice not mine. First, were quoted more per person than the website offer. When questioned, were sent an offer marked UP $5,000 p/p then "discounted" $5,000 p/p. Whaaaa??? Didn't Sears, years ago, get in trouble for "bait and switch"??? Then offered a nice extra OBC p/p but at the same time the website price dropped $2,000 p/p. Want the new price? Then you don't get the extra OBC. Again, What! And since they are not selling the entire cruise very well, they are now offering a number of segments. Some with benefits, some not. It certainly has made us put everything on hold as who knows what's coming next? I was raised in the retail business and one of the first things I was taught was to make it easy for your customer to give you money......:cool:

We sailed on our first Viking cruise in June. We were very pleased. While on board we booked a second cruise for next June. When we returned home, we encouraged another couple to consider Viking for their first cruise. They did book an Asian cruise for 2019. We then were notified that we would be receiving a credit reward for the referral. Recently, Viking notified us that the credit was now in our account and available to us. We called a Viking rep and requested that the credit be applied to our recent booking. We went round and round on the phone and finally gave up. When our travel agents’ returned from their vacation, we contacted them and they were successful in applying the credit. It was our first time calling Viking directly and we were not impressed.

We sailed on our first Viking cruise in June. We were very pleased. While on board we booked a second cruise for next June. When we returned home, we encouraged another couple to consider Viking for their first cruise. They did book an Asian cruise for 2019. We then were notified that we would be receiving a credit reward for the referral. Recently, Viking notified us that the credit was now in our account and available to us. We called a Viking rep and requested that the credit be applied to our recent booking. We went round and round on the phone and finally gave up. When our travel agents’ returned from their vacation, we contacted them and they were successful in applying the credit. It was our first time calling Viking directly and we were not impressed.

The truth of the matter is that the phone agent you were dealing with should have told you right off the bat that since you had a travel agent, that the travel agent would have to handle it. When you have a TA, the TA is supposed to handle all communication with Viking, because that is why they are paid a commission.

I know it sounds ridiculous that we can't pick up the phone anytime we want and just talk to Viking but I can also see it from their point of view. They want to keep communications neat and clean and therefore they want to talk to only one person.

Our first Viking cruise was the river one - all over excellent experience. Sure enough next year we booked the Ocean. Paid the same Air Plus and boy we had totally different experience. Rude agent and yes, "feeling scolded like a third grader"! I was so upset, I started writing to TellUs folks, and then to the different departments. It is a long story but Viking finally fixed the issue at the end - literally. Well, the cruise itself was fantastic, so this year we booked through TA but didn't like the flights and bought them ourselves. To make it shorter - we are extremely happy with our new upcoming cruise and flights Viking selected for us. According to TA, the agent found even better times for us and rebooked.

Go figure!

I guess I'm primarily disappointed that the more cruises we take with Viking the less pleasant the booking experience is. Once upon a time you could call the air services department directly and they were nice and helpful. Seat selection is important to us (there are medical issues) so we work hard to insure that at least one of us is on an aisle. I generally do this directly with the airline but some of the "bargain" lines that Viking is using more and more won't even discuss seat assignments until check-in and those that will charge for making an advance selection. We spent more than $200 to select seats on Iberia last month. Viking air used to assist with seat selection ... even without custom air. It's hard to go backwards. I guess the lesson is ... Get A Travel Agent !!!

Thankfully the onboard experience is still great!

I guess I'm primarily disappointed that the more cruises we take with Viking the less pleasant the booking experience is. Once upon a time you could call the air services department directly and they were nice and helpful. Seat selection is important to us (there are medical issues) so we work hard to insure that at least one of us is on an aisle. I generally do this directly with the airline but some of the "bargain" lines that Viking is using more and more won't even discuss seat assignments until check-in and those that will charge for making an advance selection. We spent more than $200 to select seats on Iberia last month. Viking air used to assist with seat selection ... even without custom air. It's hard to go backwards. I guess the lesson is ... Get A Travel Agent !!!

Your statements mirror exactly our current experiences with Viking shoreside. I do hope that management gets this straightened out as, inevitably, we all come into some contact with shoreside at one time or another.

Reading between the lines, it looks like one of the things that we now must add to our pre-booking research is what the airline's policy is for choosing seats at book. Honestly, I've gotten caught in this quagmire before when booking flights on the big big O. I chose the codeshare because it was cheaper then wasn't allowed to choose seats on one of my flights and had to pay to choose on another. Then on another booking through Viking, we used the codeshare so that we would have to pay the fee. The whole thing is very arcane.

Molymoo, we have been using a TA all along and I have got to say, that I really like the fact that she deals with Viking Air. What I really like about her role in the conversation is that it gives me time to think about the options that are being presented before I respond.

And finally, just a reminder that even though we can choose our seats in advance, it does not mean that we are guaranteed those seats. Don't ya just love ealing with the airlines????

Your statements mirror exactly our current experiences with Viking shoreside. I do hope that management gets this straightened out as, inevitably, we all come into some contact with shoreside at one time or another.

Jim, don't hold your breathe. Over two years ago, I tried to have this conversation with the VP of Operations, who was on board on one of our cruises, and he wasn't having any of it. Now as Viking expands, the complaints here are only get more numerous.

Recently I called because they had not opened the 2019 visa for Australia...when you clicked on it a box came up saying to check back 5-7 month prior to 2019. Hummm …..unless they go by a different calendar I'm thinking we're past that point! So I talked with the person they directed me to and the person took all my info and then went to someone else back and forth while I was holding. She acknowledged that it indeed was not working and ran off again to have someone fix it. When she returned she stated that they could not help me, I had booked through a TA and it was the TA's responsibility. Wonder how they expected the TA to fix their site...or really, should I have to call my TA to tell her something on Viking site was not working...I have a phone! As she was telling me I would need to have my TA fix it, my screen was up and presto....there it was opened!! However while I was waiting on hold, I searched Cruise Critic Boards and noticed all the helpful folks who said skip Viking and go straight to the Aussie Gov site...cheaper and easier. So Viking, sorry you lost my 90$!

I had mentioned in an earlier post that Viking has opened a new facility in Tempe, Az. I believe it just opened two months ago. Perhaps this is playing into the seeming reduction in service. I am assuming that they must be in the process of hiring for this location. In addition, you have to assume that eventually there will be either a reduction or closing in at least one of their other two locations. The new location is within minutes of the Phoenix airport and probably will be considerably less expensive to operate.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that Viking has opened a new facility in Tempe, Az. I believe it just opened two months ago. Perhaps this is playing into the seeming reduction in service. I am assuming that they must be in the process of hiring for this location. In addition, you have to assume that eventually there will be either a reduction or closing in at least one of their other two locations. The new location is within minutes of the Phoenix airport and probably will be considerably less expensive to operate.

If they close one of the others I anticipate they close the California office. Heck, half of California has moved here already....:eek:

If they close one of the others I anticipate they close the California office. Heck, half of California has moved here already....:eek:

Not necessarily. The L.A. address is their official address and so far it is still listed on the website (look in the website footer under contact us).

I can’t imagine that a relocation is imminent. The new office has only been in existence for two months. It would not surprise me, however, if over the next few years the administrative offices migrate to the new facilities. This would be a major operation and would require a lot of initial disruption, but the end payoff could be substantial. Time will tell.

Dear all,

We’ve been paying close attention to this discussion and wanted to take this opportunity to chime in and say that we hear your concerns and constructive feedback regarding both onboard and onshore service. We pride ourselves in providing our guests with holistic enjoyable experiences, from booking to disembarkation and beyond. If we are falling short any step of the way, we want our Viking family to feel confident that we are taking your comments into consideration as we continue to grow together.

It has been a pleasure learning from the community how we can best deliver these unforgettable journeys, which is why we always welcome any and all feedback at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. Thank you for this chance to participate in the conversation, and we look forward to hearing from you all.

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises