Long time Carnival Cruisers: Changes

ricok987

I have not been on a Carnival Cruise since 2008, can anyone enlighten me on what onboard changes have been made. I see in other threads the entertainment has been downgraded. Anything else??? Anything upgraded?

***They do the muster drill alittle differently. You don't have to stand out on the deck the whole time & try to listen to the staff - on the last cruise I was on, we initially met & sat down in the auditorium or dining room then after all the instructions were given, we proceeded to the muster station.

***Security is a little tighter I think

***They've changed the past guests designation & apparently some of the perks you get for making it to different levels.

*** last cruise I was on (April) since it was only a 4 nighter, they didn't have a past guest party, we just got a voucher for a free drink or soda.

***Seems like there are more comedy shows times.

There have been many changes over the years.... some more subtle than others.....

Past Guest Party - only invited for Gold and Platinum. Drinks are larger but come around less often.

No more four or two piece Island Music band on the Lido Deck.. they now rely on DJ's.

No more midnight buffet... they offer late night snacks only, in addition to Pizza.

Comedy shows are huge now at night.... the main lounge shows may not occur each night.

Dining Room... team waiters instead of a waiter and assistant. They are responsible for more tables, so the service may be slower, or not as thorough.

..... and the biggest change since 2008? the introduction of the Bacon Police!! :p

Catrin

There have been many changes over the years.... some more subtle than others.....

Past Guest Party - only invited for Gold and Platinum. Drinks are larger but come around less often.

I noticed this too; larger glasses and come around less often. To my surprise, I only drank one, but my BF got 3.

No more four or two piece Island Music band on the Lido Deck.. they now rely on DJ's.

How sad this is. I noticed that too on the Breeze two months ago.

No more midnight buffet... they offer late night snacks only, in addition to Pizza.

Comedy shows are huge now at night.... the main lounge shows may not occur each night.

The comedy shows are very popular; too bad they don't have enough seats for all people wanting to see a specific show, since the comedy shows are in the smaller lounges.

Dining Room... team waiters instead of a waiter and assistant. They are responsible for more tables, so the service may be slower, or not as thorough.

..... and the biggest change since 2008? the introduction of the Bacon Police!! :p

My BF noticed this, when he went to get bacon with his breakfast. I wonder if people were taking too much and wasting it.

Catrin

The production shows aren't as good as they once were.

Great summaries above, but one major change is in the food (and we LOVE to EAT and have always really liked CCL food).

The quality is still fairly good, but they have downgraded the menus and options offered. They have added "comfort foods" such as meatloaf (yuck) and fried chicken (we don't cruise to eat KFC).

We also noticed that they offer all the more expensive gourmet foods on the same night (like an "elegant nite" aka in the past as "formal nite"). They bunch up the expensive/gourmet foods all on one nite (cost cutting as they are obviously serving less of them all....not fooling us CCL). For example: They will offer lobster, prime rib, duck, rack of lamb all on one nite??? Then on other nites there was truly nothing special that was appealing (ordered salmon 3x on the Breeze - it is a nightly offering as nothing else was appealing at all)....and that used to NEVER happen!!

Aside from the changes in entertainment (re-running the same shows, reducing the entertainment staff and band ), getting rid of live reggae band on lido etc....the food was the biggest and most noticeable to us....very disappointed.

Great summaries above, but one major change is in the food (and we LOVE to EAT and have always really liked CCL food).

The quality is still fairly good, but they have downgraded the menus and options offered. They have added "comfort foods" such as meatloaf (yuck) and fried chicken (we don't cruise to eat KFC).

We also noticed that they offer all the more expensive gourmet foods on the same night (like an "elegant nite" aka in the past as "formal nite"). They bunch up the expensive/gourmet foods all on one nite (cost cutting as they are obviously serving less of them all....not fooling us CCL). For example: They will offer lobster, prime rib, duck, rack of lamb all on one nite??? Then on other nites there was truly nothing special that was appealing (ordered salmon 3x on the Breeze - it is a nightly offering as nothing else was appealing at all)....and that used to NEVER happen!!

Aside from the changes in entertainment (re-running the same shows, reducing the entertainment staff and band ), getting rid of live reggae band on lido etc....the food was the biggest and most noticeable to us....very disappointed.

I can't remember the last time I saw duck on the menu. (one of my favorites)

Added, brunch, better pizzas, and Guys burgers which have been a huge hit.

No more Captains cocktail party.

The changes to muster drill location is only on newer ships.

Some ships have an all inclusive drinks package (Cheers).

Some ships have Faster to the Fun where you can buy your way on to the ship and to your cabin sooner.

I can't remember the last time I saw duck on the menu. (one of my favorites)

Added, brunch, better pizzas, and Guys burgers which have been a huge hit.

Duck offered as Starter embarkation night.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

No more Captains cocktail party.

Instead of the cocktail party with free drinks they now have a similar party with discounted drinks.

The changes to muster drill location is only on newer ships.

You also don't need to bring life vests anymore during the drill. On the Dream, Breeze, and Magic there are stations you will report to like the show lounge and main dining room and there will simply be a short meeting. On the majority of other ships you'll report to your muster station and will line up in sections and await for instruction.

Some ships have an all inclusive drinks package (Cheers).

Some ships have Faster to the Fun where you can buy your way on to the ship and to your cabin sooner.

The ships that have received fun ship 2.0 upgrades offer some newer lunch food options like Guy's Burgers and the BlueIguana Cantina which serves tacos and burritos. The only disappointment is these options are only open for limited hours and only for lunch.

One of the positive changes I've noticed is with My Time Dining. When it was first introduced there were often waits of up to a half hour every night however with more and more people seeming to choose this option Carnival has made more space available. This has greatly reduced wait times on a couple ships I have been on.

As far as the DJ's they're I'm indifferent about them. There have been some really good ones which played a lot of different types of music and there have been awful ones.

A little tip for anyone looking for free drinks... attend an art auction. You don't have to buy anything at all and if you preregister there is a preview show with all the artwork available for auction and they usually serve champagne. Depending on the length of your cruise you will then be invited back to attend several other art shows and champagne will also be served there as well. They keep it interesting and you get a taste of high society with our without the money lol.

Thank you all for this information. I see there have been numerous changes since 2008. I also see that with the new loyalty program I have been downgraded from gold (benefits) to red (no benefits). That kind of stinks!

Thank you all for this information. I see there have been numerous changes since 2008. I also see that with the new loyalty program I have been downgraded from gold (benefits) to red (no benefits). That kind of stinks!

If you are turning Gold during this upcoming cruise, they will give you gold status. We are turning Gold during our cruise Saturday and our boarding passes say Gold on them! (currently 2 days shy of Gold)

Duck offered as Starter embarkation night.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

They used to serve duck the same night as lobster as a entree. I loved it, it was so good.

I do have the little slices of smoked duck, but that wasnt the duck that was a entree they served on lobster night. Its gone. This was so good. It was one of my favorites. juicy and way better than any chicken.

The real ribs on the first night of a 7 night are now gone too. (not the ribs they now have which dont have any bones)

So that's what is going on. We were just on Paradise and we had 3 people on the "team". The food came out fast enough but the service was definitely not as good and personal as it used to be (we had traditional late seating). We didn't even get menus 2 out of the 4 nights! It was kind of funny. :)

My first cruise was in 1999 and while I have seen the food quality and type of food offered change somewhat, I think the biggest change in the dining room is that formal night is now elegant night and resembles a Sunday at Red Lobster more than it does the formal night of before.

I had small girls when we first cruised and they are now grown, so the second biggest change I've noticed is the night life on the ship. The difference is that I actually have a night life now :D

The third major difference I've noticed is the cabin. On my first cruise I could only afford an inside, porthole, cabin. Now I almost always cruise with an aft balcony. Major change in the view!! :p

The changes you notice the most will likely be different than mine. LOL

The ships that have received fun ship 2.0 upgrades offer some newer lunch food options like Guy's Burgers and the BlueIguana Cantina which serves tacos and burritos. The only disappointment is these options are only open for limited hours and only for lunch.

FYI: The Blue Iguana Cantina is also open for breakfast (7:00 - 10:30 a.m.) and Guy's is open until 6:00 p.m.

***They do the muster drill alittle differently. You don't have to stand out on the deck the whole time & try to listen to the staff - on the last cruise I was on, we initially met & sat down in the auditorium or dining room then after all the instructions were given, we proceeded to the muster station.

The Muster Drill is different from ship-to-ship. We have sailed on 5 ships in the past year. Some have your muster station in the lounge or MDR and you never go to the lifeboats. On the Splendor in Feb & Mar, we had to stand out by the lifeboats for the drill. The only consistent change is that you don't take your life jacket to the drill. John

My first cruise was in 1999 and while I have seen the food quality and type of food offered change somewhat, I think the biggest change in the dining room is that formal night is now elegant night and resembles a Sunday at Red Lobster more than it does the formal night of before.

I had small girls when we first cruised and they are now grown, so the second biggest change I've noticed is the night life on the ship. The difference is that I actually have a night life now :D

The third major difference I've noticed is the cabin. On my first cruise I could only afford an inside, porthole, cabin. Now I almost always cruise with an aft balcony. Major change in the view!! :p

The changes you notice the most will likely be different than mine. LOL

Bahahaha! I also remember when Carnival waiters used to scrape the crumbs off the tablecloth in between courses in the dining room. That was a long time ago!

The Past Guest party on the Pride for Gold, Platinum and Diamond cruisers, the drinks were free flowing along with the appetizers. I had around four during the presentation, and several full glasses at the end. Since the party attendance is smaller due to the amount of invited guests, I think the wait staff have less refills to go get. Also, the wait staff were assigned to a specific area of the lounge/theater where the event took place, so they were always no more than a couple of feet away from you. Unlike parties in the past were it seemed like they were taking ofrever to come around, on the Pride, the yseem to be in front of you, offering more selections before you even finished what was on the plate or in the glass.

Catrin

Bahahaha! I also remember when Carnival waiters used to scrape the crumbs off the tablecloth in between courses in the dining room. That was a long time ago!

We still talk about that!

On our Honeymoon cruise in 1992 on the Ecstasy..... crumbs were wiped off. Our waiter had three tables of six.... with an assistant!!

And.. there was flaming Cherries Jubilee, paraded around before being served and actual Flaming Baked Alaska a few days later.

Oh... and....

The Beer Drinking COntest

The Greased Pole Pillow Fight and ... our favorite...

The MENS Naughty Lingerie Contest the final night!!

Ahhhh... the good ole days!

Catrin

Don't know if I would consider the Fascination a newer ship, but yet the muster location change described above was in effect on that ship in January.

Is it a change or has it always been there? When we did the Imagination in 2004 we didn't muster at the lifeboats.

I just came off a 5 day cruise on the Glory. Drinks were plentiful. ....just sayin'

No more four or two piece Island Music band on the Lido Deck.. they now rely on DJ's. Yes, such a disappointment for me.

No more midnight buffet... they offer late night snacks only, in addition to Pizza. I think the new pizza recipe is just awful. I used to really look forward to their pizzas.....no more. I did mention this on the survey Carnival just sent me. I sure do hope others complain enough to get them to change it back!

Comedy shows are huge now at night.... the main lounge shows may not occur each night. I've heard this, but there was a show every night on my 5 day cruise last week. I didn't go to any of them, but I was told they were great.

Dining Room... team waiters instead of a waiter and assistant. They are responsible for more tables, so the service may be slower, or not as thorough. Actually, I think it may have sped up the service. Mine was great.

..... and the biggest change since 2008? the introduction of the Bacon Police!! :p LOL, can't comment on this because I have breakfast in the MDR, can comment on that though. The 2.0 ships have a comedian do a routine for about 10 mins. every hour during breakfast in the MDR. There is also peppier music played during breakfast. I am not personally a fan of this. One of the main reasons I have breakfast in the MDR is to have a calm breakfast before revving up for an active day. Certainly doable though.

Catrin

The Serenity adults only sections are larger & very nice.

No more Future Cruise Certificate offers on board. Now to take advantage of the future cruise discount, you have to make a specific booking while on board. It is cancellable, though.

Of course, you will also like notice other small changes, just as each ship runs a bit differently from one another.

::sigh:: Reading all of these changes makes me sad. :( I haven't been on a cruise since 2007. The most disappointing thing to me is the dj replacing the calypso bands. DJs have their place which is the club, calypso bands belong on the lido while we're sailing through the caribbean. :(

::sigh:: Reading all of these changes makes me sad. :( I haven't been on a cruise since 2007. The most disappointing thing to me is the dj replacing the calypso bands. DJs have their place which is the club, calypso bands belong on the lido while we're sailing through the caribbean. :(

Couldn't agree more about the bands. Not sure why they changed this. I could be very wrong, but t doesn't seem like it's about cutting costs. When considering the overall costs for putting on a cruise, it seems like the $ diff. would not be significant between a DJ & the bands. I could see switching to a DJ for non-Caribbean cruises, but Calypso/Reggae music captures the essence of the Caribbean. This just doesn't make sense to me. I used to go to the Lido deck specifically to hear this music. Now I'm hardly ever there. :(

We left CCL mostly because of the lack of live music and it also seemed like there suddenly was less entertainment in general, but we still never had a bad CCL cruise. To us, the live music was important enough a cut to start cruising other lines.

Carnival isn't bad by any means but the changes they made weren't ones that we liked, so we now cruise other lines. At first I felt sad to leave CCL as well, (very sad) but you get over it quickly, trust me ;)

Archived