Carnival just canceled my sailing

jetexpress

Feb 9, 2014 on Legend is canceled. They changed the dry dock schedule for Legend and unfortunately my cruise got the ax. A very rude carnival rep on the phone said I will get $50 OBC for a comparable sailing and price of current category locked in. Asked if i can have my FTTF I purchased guaranteed on whatever sailing I picked since I will most likely be locked out of it...nope. Worst part is, I found out about this on my own and didn't even receive an email or phone call about the sailing being canceled.

Now what?

1.Pick a larger Carnival ship? (we were really looking forward to Spirit class)

2.Take the same itinerary on NCL for same money?

3.Pay a little extra and return to RCCL?

4.Spend more and try something completely different like MSC Divina?

Any thoughts on what you all would do if in my position? Should I call back tomorrow and see if I get different compensation offered? Oh, what to do?

You don't mention what ships the various options are for. But in looking at your sig you have primarily sailed carnival with a few royal. For me personally I like change so I would probably go with norweigan.

Carnival is just bleeding money. Cancelled cruises, upgrades to power plants, Dream, Triumph, OBC on Sunshine, lowered prices to get people to book. At one point they still need to make a profit. Hopefully they have not gotten themselves to the point where it costs more to operate than what people will pay.

I will say, without knowing squat about msc, I have looked at pictures of the divina. What a beautiful interior this ship has. Very elegant looking.

Sailed them once....never again

Now what?

I vote for option #2....

Pride in January, Legend in February... whos next? it is probably for the new fixes they are doing on all ships for safety reasons... unfortunately, that 50 onboard credit, will not cover airfare changes, or hotels, or whatever extra expenses that cruisers may incur. I am booked on Delta. Purchased two one way tickets because it was cheaper that way. one way was 126 with taxes. The return fare was 111 including taxes. So to change or cancel is actually more than I paid because their fee to cancel is 200 now. And I would be charged that for each way. So it would be a lose lose for me.

Not sure if you are driving or flying in. If you need to go out of tampa, NCL Dawn is obviously your best bet. But if you are driving from OH, or don't mind a bit of a drive, Port Canaveral isn't that far away, but your options aren't great . You could do the dream on the 8th.

Miami is a bit further of a drive.

If it was me, I would probably take NCL

Carnival is just bleeding money. Cancelled cruises, upgrades to power plants, Dream, Triumph, OBC on Sunshine, lowered prices to get people to book. At one point they still need to make a profit. Hopefully they have not gotten themselves to the point where it costs more to operate than what people will pay.

Cancellations for dry dock happen all the time with all cruise lines. This is no big deal (unless you are booked).

Cancellations for dry dock happen all the time with all cruise lines. This is no big deal (unless you are booked).

This is true. But all ships are getting these upgrades for safety as soon as possible. So it may be all ships on a different month ... who knows???

This is true. But all ships are getting these upgrades for safety as soon as possible. So it may be all ships on a different month ... who knows???

The Legend dry dock will be for "Aussie-fication".

If you are not flying in the day of the cruise and departing immediately after, you could rent a car and go to any port in Florida. Do a one way rental each way. Do that early for the best rates. Wait and the rates will go sky high. Most do not have drop charges for Florida rentals dropped in Florida. This will definitely be much less than changing airline tickets.

If you planned your flights to make the cruise and leave right after, the Dawn (I guess from Tampa) seems like your only option.

Feb 9, 2014 on Legend is canceled. They changed the dry dock schedule for Legend and unfortunately my cruise got the ax. A very rude carnival rep on the phone said I will get $50 OBC for a comparable sailing and price of current category locked in. Asked if i can have my FTTF I purchased guaranteed on whatever sailing I picked since I will most likely be locked out of it...nope. Worst part is, I found out about this on my own and didn't even receive an email or phone call about the sailing being canceled.

Now what?

Any thoughts on what you all would do if in my position? Should I call back tomorrow and see if I get different compensation offered? Oh, what to do?

You know what...call Carnival back and see if you get anything different from another rep. Maybe you just got one that had a "bug" up his/her butt. They are usually pretty good about taking care of their customers. I say try once more and if you get the same answers, then go else where.

Is your price locked in for same category for any Carnival Ship? Heck I'd go with newer and bigger that cost more to start with and enjoy the "bargain"

If Miami is an option do the Breeze. Prices on that ship are high and it gets rave reviews.

Legend prices are pretty low so go bigger and better for same price you paid.

Don't get me wrong, I am sailing the Legend in November because I love that ship!!!

If you are not flying in the day of the cruise and departing immediately after, you could rent a car and go to any port in Florida. Do a one way rental each way. Do that early for the best rates. Wait and the rates will go sky high. Most do not have drop charges for Florida rentals dropped in Florida. This will definitely be much less than changing airline tickets.

If you planned your flights to make the cruise and leave right after, the Dawn (I guess from Tampa) seems like your only option.

I agree with the above, hopefully you can find something and not lose out on extra money from change fees. Carnival just cancelled the cruise and is not giving you reimbursement for air travel? If I were crusing in February, I would have already purchased airfare too and would be truly upset that I lost out on all that money! We usually buy one way tickets each way too, usually on different airlines because we found sometimes it was less expensive that way and we like booking direct with airlines.

Would insurance have covered this?

I understand your frustration but it's not like they cancelled it for no reason. I'd personally try to speak with another rep and see if they'll give you a better compensation package. If not I'd gladly take the $50 OBC and find something else in that same time frame. That's the risk you take when booking a ship that's soon to be dry docked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived