Carnival just canceled my sailing

jetexpress

... I will get $50 OBC for a comparable sailing and price of current category locked in ... worst part is, I found out about this on my own and didn't even receive an email or phone call about the sailing being canceled .... should I call back tomorrow and see if I get different compensation offered? Oh, what to do?

$50 onboard credit? That is an insult. I would DEFINITELY call back (and continue to do so) until you feel that you are being compensated for your inconvenience. The fact that you had to make the initial call regarding the cancellation adds further insult to injury.

Planning the cruise, and then counting the days until your departure are, in my opinion, a BIG part of the happy 'cruise experience' ... seems to me that Carnival has taken the FUN out of your FUNship experience.

Sorry this happened. I can appreciate how you feel. Carnival canceled 3 cruises that we were scheduled to go on and I found out about it from people on Cruisecritic, not Carnival. One day you're scheduled, the next day you're scrambling!

I think you are complaining unnecessarily. February is NINE months from now. I reviewed my old email and found that I had FOUR months notice from when Elation out of California was changed. No, it wasn't canceled but they changed the dates of sailing and all I got was offered $50 to change airfare. Fortunately, they worked with me - I ended up with $100 pp because I could prove that's what it cost to switch airfare and I changed ships. Airlines barely have Nov - Dec airfare routes out - But February - they did it in enough time that people don't have air purchased. I'm sorry it messed your plans but Tampa is close to other ports.

I belong to a sizable group that met on CC and were booked for this cruise.

Some of us got emails, others (me included) did not, so the ones who know are keeping the others informed.

$50 pp OBC.

We opted to go with the Conquest out of Miami on the same day, same itinerary. Port calls are on different days but same itinierary.

Why is it that when they canceled sailings on Sunshine and Triumph they refunded travel expenses (airfare, hotel, etc.) but they refuse to do this for me?

I know i can just take NCL dawn and be done with it but this whole process by Carnival is very off putting .

I agree with ch27088-call back and ask for a supervisor-if you had already paid for FTTF, then you should be able to get it, especially since they were the ones who cancelled the cruise. Not you, and you shouldn't be penalized for it. I love the Legend, so I would stay with Carnival.

I think you are complaining unnecessarily. February is NINE months from now. I reviewed my old email and found that I had FOUR months notice from when Elation out of California was changed. No, it wasn't canceled but they changed the dates of sailing and all I got was offered $50 to change airfare. Fortunately, they worked with me - I ended up with $100 pp because I could prove that's what it cost to switch airfare and I changed ships. Airlines barely have Nov - Dec airfare routes out - But February - they did it in enough time that people don't have air purchased. I'm sorry it messed your plans but Tampa is close to other ports.

Not true with all airlines. We booked our Delta flight for our B2B January 17 - February 1st on 3/4/13 when it first came out. The price has continued to go up & up since then.

I think you are complaining unnecessarily. February is NINE months from now... Airlines barely have Nov - Dec airfare routes out - But February - they did it in enough time that people don't have air purchased.

Not true. I'm seeing airfare available through 4/26/14 on Travelocity. I believe it's only a few airlines like Southwest that don't have February dates available. 9 months is nothing. I almost always book airfare for vacations 11 months ahead of time. Many times you need to to redeem frequent flyer miles or the lowest price.

Not true. I'm seeing airfare available through 4/26/14 on Travelocity. I believe it's only a few airlines like Southwest that don't have February dates available. 9 months is nothing. I almost always book airfare for vacations 11 months ahead of time. Many times you need to to redeem frequent flyer miles or the lowest price.

Same here, if I had a cruise booked for February I would have already purchased airfare.

This is a disgusting display that Carnival is not refunding you all of your non-refundable costs.

This is why I'm leary of booking again with Carnival again.

I called and spoke with my most recent PVP. He said that airfare and hotel will be refunded. Also, he is checking if i can take an 8 day Breeze sailing and just waive my onboard credit for the extra day. I told him i was looking at NCL dawn and he promised to call me back in a few hours. We shall see. If i dont hear anything back by tonight, I will just cancel for a full refund and try NCL.

Feb 9, 2014 on Legend is canceled. They changed the dry dock schedule for Legend and unfortunately my cruise got the ax. A very rude carnival rep on the phone said I will get $50 OBC for a comparable sailing and price of current category locked in. Asked if i can have my FTTF I purchased guaranteed on whatever sailing I picked since I will most likely be locked out of it...nope. Worst part is, I found out about this on my own and didn't even receive an email or phone call about the sailing being canceled.

Now what?

1.Pick a larger Carnival ship? (we were really looking forward to Spirit class)

2.Take the same itinerary on NCL for same money?

3.Pay a little extra and return to RCCL?

4.Spend more and try something completely different like MSC Divina?

Any thoughts on what you all would do if in my position? Should I call back tomorrow and see if I get different compensation offered? Oh, what to do?

Option 2 gets my vote ;) we are so wanting to try NCL for our next cruise

If you are not flying in the day of the cruise and departing immediately after, you could rent a car and go to any port in Florida. Do a one way rental each way. Do that early for the best rates. Wait and the rates will go sky high. Most do not have drop charges for Florida rentals dropped in Florida. This will definitely be much less than changing airline tickets.

If you planned your flights to make the cruise and leave right after, the Dawn (I guess from Tampa) seems like your only option.

Its for Next Year. I doubt the OP has already purchased airfare, or at least I would not have that far in advance.

SW and many carriers have not even come out with prices yet.

I dont see where the OP said he already purchased airfare that everyone is assuming he is locked into. I have not read all the posts, so maybe I missed why people are talking as if he already purchased airfare for next year.

Its for Next Year. I doubt the OP has already purchased airfare, or at least I would not have that far in advance.

SW and many carriers have not even come out with prices yet.

I dont see where the OP said he already purchased airfare that everyone is assuming he is locked into. I have not read all the posts, so maybe I missed why people are talking as if he already purchased airfare for next year.

Yes, i did have airfare purchased already. When you live in Ohio and have to fly anywhere to cruise, you HAVE to buy early or fares just keep rising.

Anyways, just wanted to update everyone on what has transpired since my last update. My PVP has been extremely helpful as opposed to the regular rep whom I spoke with when I first found out about the sailing being canceled. Although, we didn't really want to sail on a Conquest class ship, we went ahead and moved our booking to Carnival Glory on 2/2/14. Same itinerary as what we had booked on the Legend. We were offered $100 in OBC, not the $50 per stateroom I was originally told. All non-refundable expenses (airfare change fee) were refunded to us. Our rate from the Legend was locked in and we were upgraded to a Spa Deck balcony.(Aft balcony was offered but we did not like the lack of privacy when we were in one on the Destiny). Also, thankfully our FTTF was transferred to our new sailing!

Overall, I am happy with the end result but I still am befuddled as to why we never received notification about our sailing being canceled. Trust me, I was mad and would have happily gone on another cruise line, but figured it was kind of stupid to not take advantage of the incentives this time around since our airfare change fee was covered by Carnival.

Thank you to everyone for their input and hope everyone takes this experience as a reminder to check their sailing frequently because Carnival sure isn't doing it for you.

Feb 9, 2014 on Legend is canceled. They changed the dry dock schedule for Legend and unfortunately my cruise got the ax. A very rude carnival rep on the phone said I will get $50 OBC for a comparable sailing and price of current category locked in. Asked if i can have my FTTF I purchased guaranteed on whatever sailing I picked since I will most likely be locked out of it...nope. Worst part is, I found out about this on my own and didn't even receive an email or phone call about the sailing being canceled.

Now what?

1.Pick a larger Carnival ship? (we were really looking forward to Spirit class)

2.Take the same itinerary on NCL for same money?

3.Pay a little extra and return to RCCL?

4.Spend more and try something completely different like MSC Divina?

Any thoughts on what you all would do if in my position? Should I call back tomorrow and see if I get different compensation offered? Oh, what to do?

NCL Much better Entertainment CCL has gone downhill I'm Diamond on CCL

This Diamond is NOT forever

Anyways, just wanted to update everyone on what has transpired since my last update. My PVP has been extremely helpful as opposed to the regular rep whom I spoke with when I first found out about the sailing being canceled. Although, we didn't really want to sail on a Conquest class ship, we went ahead and moved our booking to Carnival Glory on 2/2/14. Same itinerary as what we had booked on the Legend. We were offered $100 in OBC, not the $50 per stateroom I was originally told. All non-refundable expenses (airfare change fee) were refunded to us. Our rate from the Legend was locked in and we were upgraded to a Spa Deck balcony.(Aft balcony was offered but we did not like the lack of privacy when we were in one on the Destiny). Also, thankfully our FTTF was transferred to our new sailing!

Overall, I am happy with the end result but I still am befuddled as to why we never received notification about our sailing being canceled. Trust me, I was mad and would have happily gone on another cruise line, but figured it was kind of stupid to not take advantage of the incentives this time around since our airfare change fee was covered by Carnival.

Thank you to everyone for their input and hope everyone takes this experience as a reminder to check their sailing frequently because Carnival sure isn't doing it for you.

Glad that you were properly compensated. I hope you have a great cruise :)

NCL Much better Entertainment CCL has gone downhill

absolutely.

Archived