Airline times post cruise from Civitavecchia

barb in ga

We will disembark October 4th 2018 in Civitavecchia. We live in Atlanta and would prefer to fly Delta as they have non stop flights each way. Royal's Air to Sea will not book us because the Delta flight leaves at 12:20, and they recommend flights from 12:55.

This is a Thursday, if that matters. We will be on Symphony of the seas. 2 couples are traveling and we are Diamond. Our alternate choice seems to be British Air leaving at 12:55, but with a 65 minute stop in London, resulting in an arrival almost 3 hours later.

I would far prefer to go ahead and book Delta on my own, with travel insurance of course.

I would love to hear from people who have debarked at Civitavecchia and made flights at 12:20.

Thanks,

Barb

The only thing to think through is the new TSA screening for flights back to the USA. I have no recent experience until we do this in February. I would recommend getting to the airport three hours prior to your flight and allow one hour travel time so be sure to be in the first group off the ship.

Keith

Barb, We have no clue as to why RCI is taking such a position. Having been to Civitvecchia many times, we routinely take a flight that departs from FCO at 10:50. Your ship is scheduled to dock at 5 am and debarkation will likely being within 30 minutes. For a 12:20 flight we would want to be at FCO by 9:30 which means leaving the port around 8:30. This is likely late enough that you could even have the cruise line take off your luggage (you should check on their schedule once aboard) but you would definitely have no issue if you decided to use express disembarkation and take off your own luggage. We would strongly recommend booking your own transfer using Romecabs.com. This becomes very economical if you can get 1 or 2 other couples to join you on the transfer....and this is often simple by just asking on the CC Roll Call for your cruise. You could arrange for the transfer to meet you at 8 or 8:15 which will give you more then enough time. Disembarkation at Civitavecchia is not a problem as the Italian authorities quickly clear the ship (usually within 20 min) and there are no formal immigration/customs problems.

Hank

We've cruised from Civitavecchia many times and never had a flight scheduled after 11.20am . We've always arrived at the airport with hours to spare

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Your flights are considered "domestic". Flights direct to the US require more time for multiple levels of security processing.

That being said, a 12:20 flight is fine, although you may have to book your own ground transfer as RCI has taken the stand that it has.

Delta is out of Terminal 5 in FCO. It’s a separate building and you need to take a shuttle to the main terminal for boarding. Plan accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This information is outdated. Starting in early 2017, Delta flies out of Terminal 1 at FCO airport, not at the distant Terminal 5.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/it/en/news/news-archive/2017/february-2017/delta-moves-terminal-at-romes-fiumicino-airport-to-co-locate-wit.html

However, you should still allow plenty of time to check-in, due to extra screening procedures for US-bound flights. Three hours is usually recommended.

Thank you everyone for the quick responses! We will go ahead and book the Delta flights, being sure to arrange car service right away too.

We are able to book exit row seats on Delta, which means a lot to my 6'7" husband!

We are traveling with another couple, and will see about adding a couple more.

I'm sure I'll be on this board frequently; I always love the great advice from CC members.

Barb