Carnival Vista - Possible Construction Delays

Mr305

Read the following Italian newspaper, use Google translate, seems like the May 1st cruise could be delayed or would sail with workers onboard working on the final finishes. Why does Carnival continue to use Fincantieri, always a problem with this shipyard.

http://m.ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/trieste/cronaca/2016/02/26/news/carnival-vista-con-il-fiatone-consegna-sul-filo-del-rasoio-1.13027887

Hmmm....interesting article. The translation is not great, but I see where you might think that there are some construction issues. Then again, it could just be media hype... Things have been pretty quiet regarding Vista construction though. I'll be curious to hear updates; thank you for sharing.

The Sea trials were scheduled for January and have not been done yet. the latest date is March 22nd.

Read the article. The delay is blamed on changes to the original plan and labor/union problems at the ship yard.I hope it will be ready but guessing that there will be things not ready. Better bring your screw driver with you.:D

I started to get concerned when I saw my May 14th, 2016 date no longer available to book. I guess it could be sold out over 2 months in advanced we'll just have to wait and see...

May 1st is listed but there doesn't seem to be any cabins available for booking.

Guess now no one can roll the dice and book a room on May 1st with the belief Carnival will cancel that cruise. Everyone that had booked would get their money back and I'm sure some future cruise credit.

You could get a future cruise credit for nothing or lose your money.

May 1st is listed but there doesn't seem to be any cabins available for booking.

Guess now no one can roll the dice and book a room on May 1st with the belief Carnival will cancel that cruise. Everyone that had booked would get their money back and I'm sure some future cruise credit.

You could get a future cruise credit for nothing or lose your money.

The Inaugural has been disappearing and reappearing many times over the last few months.

Wow, first sailing I can find listed is May 24th. I sure hope this does not mean it is delayed and cruises are cancelled. [emoji120]

Even May 24 has been nearly sold out lately, but lots of folks joining roll cal saying they just booked. We booked our May 2013 Med cruise in Feb that year. I think it's just lots of people booking. I've watched the cabins dwindle down over the last couple weeks for the 24th.

Glad I bought my trip insurance. Ours covers the air fare too. On the June 3rd sailing, hope it's completed though. Don't want to have to use the insurance. I really wish Carnival would be honest about what is happening, that would go a long way with many of us cruisers.

Glad I bought my trip insurance. Ours covers the air fare too. On the June 3rd sailing, hope it's completed though. Don't want to have to use the insurance. I really wish Carnival would be honest about what is happening, that would go a long way with many of us cruisers.

I bought my trip insurance through Insure My Trip, and I just called and asked what would happen if a cruise company cancels a cruise because it's not able to sail. She said that wouldn't be a covered reason under the policy, it would be up to Carnival to reimburse. I assume Carnival would reimburse for the cruise, but would they reimburse for airfare not purchased through them? I'm getting a bit nervous about all this as well.

I'm on the May 24 cruise and honestly, if for some reason Carnival cancels the cruise, I'm still going to travel to Europe. I'd probably just buy a train pass and see the sites that way. Two weeks wandering around Europe wouldn't be a bad consolation prize for me. :D

I bought my trip insurance through Insure My Trip, and I just called and asked what would happen if a cruise company cancels a cruise because it's not able to sail. She said that wouldn't be a covered reason under the policy, it would be up to Carnival to reimburse. I assume Carnival would reimburse for the cruise, but would they reimburse for airfare not purchased through them? I'm getting a bit nervous about all this as well.

No, the cruise line insurance will not cover any flights/hotels/transfers/tours made outside of their booking, unless you've discussed that with them and added on a supplemental insurance.

Generally, if the cruise cancels, you will receive a full cruise credit on another date, and possibly a future cruise credit as well, but that can vary.

I'm on the May 24 cruise and honestly, if for some reason Carnival cancels the cruise, I'm still going to travel to Europe. I'd probably just buy a train pass and see the sites that way. Two weeks wandering around Europe wouldn't be a bad consolation prize for me. :D

ditto... We're on the May 1st cruise and too much time and money has been invested to not go to EU even if we don't cruise.

We have apts in Venice and in Barcelona waiting for us as we're doing a little pre/post cruise stays in both cities for 4 days each. Taking a 14 day trek to get from Venice to Barcelona would be very exciting even if it's a "last minute" decision. Just have to flow with it at this point... We've been booked on this cruise since February 2015!!

Personally, I would never book an inaugural cruise, but lots of people do. I like bugs to be worked out before I sail. Hopefully they will be worked out before my first leg on Oct. 1.

Ditto - one of the main reasons I would not do an inaugural cruise - you never know if the ship will actually be ready and running at 'full speed'!

I remember the same thing happened with the Sunshine - when I believe the first 2 cruises were 'cancelled' due to inability to have the ship ready on time!!!:eek:

Ditto - one of the main reasons I would not do an inaugural cruise - you never know if the ship will actually be ready and running at 'full speed'!

I remember the same thing happened with the Sunshine - when I believe the first 2 cruises were 'cancelled' due to inability to have the ship ready on time!!!:eek:

That was a slightly different situation.

The Carnival Sunshine was not a new build, it was a conversion and they had VERY little time to complete it.

That was a slightly different situation.

The Carnival Sunshine was not a new build, it was a conversion and they had VERY little time to complete it.

Very true - it was quite an 'ambitious project'!!!

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnival-Sunshine-metamorphosis-was-ambitious-and-complicated/

...but of course some problems as well - I believe in this thread there was someone posting (dry dock dave?) who was involved in the 'renovations' and there are mentions of sabotage and theft which I believe added to the delays!!!:eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1840108&highlight=carnival+sunshine+maiden+voyage+problems

Edited by Froufie

I started to get concerned when I saw my May 14th, 2016 date no longer available to book. I guess it could be sold out over 2 months in advanced we'll just have to wait and see...
It is sold out according to my PVP. I asked to upgrade and was unable to.

What would actually happen if they cancel our cruise or if we get onboard and there are lots of problems/stuff not working or open?

If they cancel, you get reimbursed by Carnival.

If there are problems onboard/stuff not working, I am quite sure you would get some OBC or some small credit for a future cruise. They could also just claim that you took a chance taking the Inaugural and not credit you with anything but somehow I dont think that would make for good PR.

Common sense.

Edited by goldesq

There was talk on the roll call thread that Carnival may be holding back cabins for workers that may be cruising with those of us on its maiden and 2nd cruise.

We're on the inaugural cruise. Booked it a grand suite February 2015. Come January Carnivals informs us that they had to convert out cabin to a handicap accessible cabin and they pulled an Ocean Suite off to reserve for us but placed us on waiting list for a grand suite cancellation. Couple friends traveling with us got nervous and canceled the cruise while they could get full refunds thinking we weren't going since we didn't have a room with there being just a few days before final payment was due. (we got GS a week after final payment was due!)

Now they regret cancelling as no cabins have been available for the inaugural sailing for a while now.

I couldn't imagine trying to book such a cruise at this late stage but people do it! I too just wish Carnival would either say something about the cruise and why it was pulled off the site. Better yet, post it as sold out when it really isn't! Something is better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk