Christmas Dinner

We are cruising over Christmas and will be having Christmas dinner on the ship. This will be the first time cruising over Christmas for us and wondering if anyone has any advice for that meal. Should we book something in one of the specialty dining rooms or does the general dining room do a fun meal? I am wondering if Christmas would be their lobster night?

Thanks

We did Grandeur Christmas 2015 and Independence in 2016. The dining room offered what would be the normal menu plus a special holiday menu. Last year that included turkey and all the trimmings, ham, and a beef dish. The also had extra appetizers and desserts. The speciality restaurants were booked solid but enjoyed the MDR - it felt so festive

If it was not my sisters turn to go away (one of us stays in the area to be with my dad) I would be on the ship again

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

They will have a special meal in the MDR for Christmas. The specialty restaurants will probably also be running special menus for higher prices (wine flights, etc). At least that's what happened on Navigator last year ....

You will have a turkey dinner in the MDR. Their turkey is actually quite tasty. Not as many "sides" as we have at home, but still...not bad!

We sailed at Thanksgiving once (we will never sail a holiday again, but that's a whole different subject), and I agree with your assessment of the turkey dinner: Very good, but we do have more sides at home; however, admittedly, we're a foodie type family.

Was on the cruise before Christmas last year on Voyager and we had Christmas dinner in the MDR on the last night as a rehersal for Christmas day along with many of the other activites. The specialty restaurants apparently all go up in price so MDR is a good option.

The menu was as follows.

Starters

• Almond Crusted Brie
  • Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup
  • Goat Cheese Salad

Main Course

• Oven Roasted Turkey
  • Traditional Brisket
  • Honey Baked Ham

Desserts

• Buche de Noel
  • Warm Spiced Christmas Cake

Our table got some of all and shared. The Turkey and Christmas Cake were both very good.:D

Dinners at the specialty restaurants last year on the ships for Dec 24, 25, 31 and Jan 1 saw the restaurants raise the prices to $75pp.

So a thought . . . I'm on Navigator leaving 12/31. . . Should I get the BOGO deal now at the cheap price so I get the holiday meals? Are the holiday meals that much better?

We never heard of turkey for July 4th. That's usually burgers and hot dogs on the grill.:cool:

Though has been few yrs since sailed over 4th on Royal the July 4th cruises in 1988, 1996, 1997 and 2003 the July 4th meal in Main Dining was the American Day/Thanksgiving meal on 7 nite cruises. Sailed 300+nites on Royal in 29 yrs and still save all my cruise papers. Liked sailing the July 4th Caribbean cruises because even though was HOT the sun was up lot longer then the Fall-Spring cruises I usually take now. But now older & back in my cabin most nites by 9pm...

Though has been few yrs since sailed over 4th on Royal the July 4th cruises in 1988, 1996, 1997 and 2003 the July 4th meal in Main Dining was the American Day/Thanksgiving meal on 7 nite cruises. Sailed 300+nites on Royal in 29 yrs and still save all my cruise papers. Liked sailing the July 4th Caribbean cruises because even though was HOT the sun was up lot longer then the Fall-Spring cruises I usually take now. But now older & back in my cabin most nites by 9pm...

WE never cruised over July 4th, so I did not know that. Thanks for the update.:D

So a thought . . . I'm on Navigator leaving 12/31. . . Should I get the BOGO deal now at the cheap price so I get the holiday meals? Are the holiday meals that much better?

That surprises me that they are offering that, if you are interested in the specialty restaurants then I would book that as its a great deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull that offer once someone realizes that the BOGO falls on NYE and NY day.

Kind of funny as if you click on the terms and conditions it states " not valid on Holiday sailings"

That surprises me that they are offering that, if you are interested in the specialty restaurants then I would book that as its a great deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull that offer once someone realizes that the BOGO falls on NYE and NY day.

Kind of funny as if you click on the terms and conditions it states " not valid on Holiday sailings"

I just went and looked again too . . . It's available in Cruise Planner and let me put it in my cart but I read the fine print also and saw the same thing you did. My wife wants to try Chops once, I may just do that and not have something screwy happen when they figure out what they did (or didn't do).

I was on Serenade this past Christmas and New Year, on Christmas Day it was the standard Pomodoro menu with a roast ham as well. If you were going to book into a speciality on one or the other, I would do it for Christmas Day. On New Year's Eve they did make a bit more of an effort with dinner than a normal night and there were plenty of table decorations too.

New Years Eve Menu

Appetisers

Shaved Proscuitto and Arugula Salad,

Spinach & Ricotta Ravioli

Berkshire Pork Belly

Tuna Tartare

Gazpacho

Lobster Bisque

Entrees

Wild Mushroom Pappardelle

Seared Halibut

Grilled Filet Mignon

Broiled Lobster Tail

Rack of Lamb

Desserts

Dark and White Chocolate bar

Red Velvet New York Cheesecake

Grand Marnier SOuffle

Lemon Buttermilk Panna Cotta

I just went and looked again too . . . It's available in Cruise Planner and let me put it in my cart but I read the fine print also and saw the same thing you did. My wife wants to try Chops once, I may just do that and not have something screwy happen when they figure out what they did (or didn't do).

PS we were allowed to use our BOGO on Christmas Eve in Chops last year