Is single supplement ever less than double?

I heard somewhere that there have been a deal on single supplement, where it was less than the normal double price. This was in a regular cabin, not one of the big ships with studio made for one. Anyone seen this?

Have heard mention of supplements sometimes being reduced, but I haven't actually seen it. Kept a watch out for it last year on Anthem (we were a group of 3 in 2 cabins), right up until final payment.

I've seen it as low as 30% extra for a single. In the day it took me to decide, it went up to 400%, though a few people on here who had mentioned the fare got it at the reduced single fare.

There's a solo cruiser board here. Check that out, and they can also direct you to sites that will help you track current single supplements on various cruises.

I paid about 125% for an outside cabin on Explorer's 8 day Pacific Coastal last September. I was just watching prices on that cruise and found it one Sunday. It was gone by evening. Nothing was advertised, and I only realized it by running the price for two. It was a special solo rate, so it wasn't eligible for double points (I've called twice).

I have an idea of what I'm willing to pay for a given itinerary/stateroom and book when I see a good price without worrying too much about the supplement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard somewhere that there have been a deal on single supplement, where it was less than the normal double price. This was in a regular cabin, not one of the big ships with studio made for one. Anyone seen this?

Another way to get a reduced single supplement is thru the BOGO sales. The second cruise rate will reflect the discounted amount.

I book Voyager OTS for the coming cruise on May 8 when they have this 50% discount for second pax.

It surprise me that I have to pay about the same price as the cruise below Mariner OTS for Nov 13 for a solo pax.

What I don't understand is how come the mis. taxes and charges is so high at $338.

But when I key in for 2 pax the price is only $150 more.

SGD1352.74

Remove

+ Pre-Paid Gratuities

SGD76.04

Remove

1 x Cruise Fare

SGD938.00

(@ SGD938.00 )

1 x Miscellaneous Taxes & Charges

SGD338.70

(@ SGD338.70 )

1 x Pre-Paid Gratuities

SGD76.04

(@ SGD76.04 )

Another way to get a reduced single supplement is thru the BOGO sales. The second cruise rate will reflect the discounted amount.

You're still paying the same rate for 1, as 2 would, for the same cabin. A reduced supplement would be less than the fare for 2.

About 2 years ago Oasis was on the weekly sale at 110% solo rate. It was crazy! Many couples booked connecting cabins for an extra bathroom and double points

That would be so cool, I will have to keep my eyes open for something like that!

RCL repositioned Grandeur from Panama to Miami a few years ago. 3 night sailing (rough seas from what I remember). Solos could be booked for any cabin up to a JS for the same rate as a double. If memory serves me correctly, we paid ~$99 per stateroom (before taxes/fees) for two connecting balconies.

What I can't figure out is why RCL/Celebrity sometimes advertise the single supplement as 225% (see Celebrity's current weekly special as an example). Of course, these folks spell Allure as Allurer of the Seas (see RCL's currently weekly special as an example). :rolleyes:

The RCI weekly sales event used to offer many sailings with a reduced solo supplement. I too, remember when Allure/Oasis had 110% supplement. Those days are over. Very rarely do they offer less than 200%. The last reduced supplement I recall was for 150% on Anthem back in January or last December.

I suggest you find a cruise of interest and do a mock booking. This will also be rare but a bit more successful than waiting each week for the sales event.

I have priced out studio cabins to find that they were more than an inside paying double. In the case of a studio being slightly cheaper I would go for increased space and double points of an interior room.

I have priced out studio cabins to find that they were more than an inside paying double. In the case of a studio being slightly cheaper I would go for increased space and double points of an interior room.

That's a common report here. I'd really like to know how many times a studio stateroom ends up being less than paying double for a regular stateroom.

That's a common report here. I'd really like to know how many times a studio stateroom ends up being less than paying double for a regular stateroom.

One of two things seem to happen. The studio staterooms remain unsold for a long time because they are priced too high and they don't sell until the price is "reduced" closer to the sail date. Or the studio staterooms are a real deal when the cruise is first offered and they sell out immediately. I stalked a studio balcony in March when the Anthem opened for booking. On other ships I book a regular inside and hope the price will come down at some point.

What I can't figure out is why RCL/Celebrity sometimes advertise the single supplement as 225% (see Celebrity's current weekly special as an example). Of course, these folks spell Allure as Allurer of the Seas (see RCL's currently weekly special as an example). :rolleyes:

That price point seems like they are trying to discourage solo travelers. Which I guess from a bottom line point of view, might make sense, as solos generate less total revenue than two.

It's not a customer friendly position for them to take however, so it's unlikely they'd ever admit it.

You're still paying the same rate for 1, as 2 would, for the same cabin. A reduced supplement would be less than the fare for 2.

I view a single supplement as anything less than 200% of the normal price for one. However, I see your point.

YES; Very last minute though (week before). Also, sometimes a little further out on that link someone previously posted. Finally, you can book one of the solo cabins (Quantum class even has balcony solos).