Yet another cruise cancellation - May 2018

davidandjulia

I know I’ll run into a wall arguing this on the Azamara forum, but having recently cruised other lines after 29 consecutive Azamara cruises - guess what - some other lines have engaging Captains, warm crew and excellent service too. Even the “Welcome home!” upon boarding wasn’t invented by Azamara.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No argument from me. I tried a new cruise line earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised by the kindness and helpfulness of the crew and the exemplary service level.

My bad for not expecting this

I know I’ll run into a wall arguing this on the Azamara forum, but having recently cruised other lines after 29 consecutive Azamara cruises - guess what - some other lines have engaging Captains, warm crew and excellent service too. Even the “Welcome home!” upon boarding wasn’t invented by Azamara.

No need to run!

I'm looking at another provider talking about my home away from home and amazing evenings off the ship - there are only so many words in the dictionary that's for sure!

I think some other posts are underestimating the skills of the onboard staff to deliver service despite the head office - but that is the case in so many organisations. Head office may set a vision but it's front line that interprets it and reshapes it into a workable reality. The front line customer facing especially on a remote cruise ship will ultimately be where the "sink or swim" - pardon the phrase - action happens.

Sorry about the confusion....yes, we did mean jumping from the Quest to the Journey, and yes "combine", it was for the 29th May voyage which to us was a very acceptable alternative given the reasonable terms from Azamara :D

We have also jumped to Journey for the 29 May and the following one 7 June back to London. We also found their offer acceptable and it has worked well for us. I do hope others will have the same outcome. Look forward to meeting you on board.

No argument here. Isn't it great knowing you have other good choices? Competition helps improve a good business or keep them on their toes.

Out of curiosity, and possibly consideration, would you mind sharing what some other lines might be? :D

I think some other posts are underestimating the skills of the onboard staff to deliver service despite the head office - but that is the case in so many organisations. Head office may set a vision but it's front line that interprets it and reshapes it into a workable reality. The front line customer facing especially on a remote cruise ship will ultimately be where the "sink or swim" - pardon the phrase - action happens.

Good point, and I would not doubt their skills in “fine tuning” policy from the head office. There is considerable anecdotal evidence of their talents.

My evaluation was not based so much upon the on board experience as upon the apparent “employee churn rate”. Usually it will reflect a serious disconnect between head office and front lines. That, and an increasing demand for “sick days” etc.

Edited by nordski

I'm wondering if the head office is so bad, then how come the people who were on the cancelled cruise and posted here have found acceptable compromises from Azamara? None of them seemed to have to select from only those initially offered cruises. That sounds to me like AZ does care about their customer in this circumstance as they did when I had a cancelled cruise.

No argument here. Isn't it great knowing you have other good choices? Competition helps improve a good business or keep them on their toes.

Out of curiosity, and possibly consideration, would you mind sharing what some other lines might be? :D

I would think a small,ship that has bigger cabins or all suites. I had some info and I know he cancel the JR WC fir 2018

I'm wondering if the head office is so bad, then how come the people who were on the cancelled cruise and posted here have found acceptable compromises from Azamara? None of them seemed to have to select from only those initially offered cruises. That sounds to me like AZ does care about their customer in this circumstance as they did when I had a cancelled cruise.

OP said they were provided a list of cruises that they could choose from--based on that, and the other poster's comment about choosing the May 29th cruise, it sounds like it was one of the original selections. Maybe they can clarify.

Possibly Azamara learned a lesson after cancelling the TA, and is being more accommodating this time around.

Good point, and I would not doubt their skills in “fine tuning” policy from the head office. There is considerable anecdotal evidence of their talents.

My evaluation was not based so much upon the on board experience as upon the apparent “employee churn rate”. Usually it will reflect a serious disconnect between head office and front lines. That, and an increasing demand for “sick days” etc.

Hi nordski, thank you for pointing out that our onboard experience is top notch because of our personnel; both onboard and shoreside. If I'm not mistaken, all of our shoreside hotel management team have worked onboard ships in the past. We are very fortunate to have all these longtime professionals dedicated to Azamara, and dedicated to providing our guests with the best possible experience.

OP said they were provided a list of cruises that they could choose from--based on that, and the other poster's comment about choosing the May 29th cruise, it sounds like it was one of the original selections. Maybe they can clarify.

Possibly Azamara learned a lesson after cancelling the TA, and is being more accommodating this time around.

Hi. We chose option A from the four choices. Re book to one of 12 named cruises with $500 OBC at a protected lowest rate. The cruises ranged from 29 May to 30 June on both Quest and Journey. We had the added problem that we had chosen a B2B with 6 June. We have now rebooked on Journey 29 May and 7 June. Both of these new cruises were significantly cheaper than our original Quest bookings and we are more than happy with the outcome, although stress levels were a tad high over the weekend! As of this morning we look forward to our new destinantions. Azamara are also paying any non refundable air/hotel cancellation fees.

It worked for us and I hope it does for eveyone who has been inconvenienced by the charter.

I just wanted to thank you all for posting this information. I was booked to do this itinerary b2b with the June 6 sailing and the first I heard was on here. So of course over the weekend I was in a tail spin wondering what on earth we would do seeing as I had just taken advantage of the early bird airfares from Australia and paid in full. Both my travel agent and I were told that the Australian market will not be informed of this until Monday as it takes longer to workout the compensation for us in Australia. I am so disappointed to have to hear it on here first and not from Azamara. I hope that the delay in notifying us does not affect our options. We might look at doing the June 16 sailing now b2b but will have to wait to see. We booked in advance so that we could get the cabin we wanted and have the same one on each cruise. I hate my plans being up in the air so I will be anxious until next week I guess. I do enjoy sailing with Azamara so I hope that this opinion will not change.

I just wanted to thank you all for posting this information. I was booked to do this itinerary b2b with the June 6 sailing and the first I heard was on here. So of course over the weekend I was in a tail spin wondering what on earth we would do seeing as I had just taken advantage of the early bird airfares from Australia and paid in full. Both my travel agent and I were told that the Australian market will not be informed of this until Monday as it takes longer to workout the compensation for us in Australia. I am so disappointed to have to hear it on here first and not from Azamara. I hope that the delay in notifying us does not affect our options. We might look at doing the June 16 sailing now b2b but will have to wait to see. We booked in advance so that we could get the cabin we wanted and have the same one on each cruise. I hate my plans being up in the air so I will be anxious until next week I guess. I do enjoy sailing with Azamara so I hope that this opinion will not change.

I do apologize for you being left in suspense. I've written to the head of our Customer Service to see for myself why you (and perhaps all of our Australian guests) have not been notified of your options. I'll post when I hear back, and again, I'm very sorry.

Thank you . I appreciate it. Both my travel agent and myself were not very happy to hear it on social media before we were notified. I have been told my Azamara AU that Monday will be when I will be notified of what my options were. Luckily I saw this on CC and didn't go on my merry way booking accomodation and cross Europe flights. As it is there will need to be changes to our bookings. I appreciate any information and help you can give us. We really enjoy sailing with Azamara and are/were looking forward to sailing again.

I do apologize for you being left in suspense. I've written to the head of our Customer Service to see for myself why you (and perhaps all of our Australian guests) have not been notified of your options. I'll post when I hear back, and again, I'm very sorry.