Is Holland the right line for our family

cgolf1

My apologies, you are correct. I pulled up a deck plan of Mariner OS, and I didn't see any Flow Rider. I was wrong to ASS-U-ME that if the newest Voyager class ship didn't have one, all in the class wouldn't.

No worries. It's a recent addition to Voyager Class, so it's perfectly normal to not know. :)

OP - I've cruised on DCL, RCI, and Princess (thinking about the new HAL ship for Christmas) with my daughter. Here are my thoughts:

-loved DCL - would do again in a heartbeat if fares were about 40% lower than they are now

-loved RCI - great kids' clubs, lots of activities, but sometimes felt frazzled with so much activity

-loved Princess (two 26-day transatlantic/Europe, etc. trips). Great kids' clubs, great activities for the adults, but some down time for Momma so I could relax and contemplate my next drink. Can you tell Princess is my favorite? (if the price and itinerary are right, of course)

Haven't been on NCL yet but heard good things about the new ships. HAL has the rep for being a much more "mature" crowd which I hope, someday, to join - just not right now. Have a great cruise whichever you choose!

The only concern I have with NCL is hearing about all the cutbacks taking place. The ships look nice, but living through the DCL cutbacks right now, I would hate to move to another line that is in heavy flux right now too. It is still in the running, but that is a concern of ours.

And you haven't noticed any cutbacks on HAL?

Hank

And you haven't noticed any cutbacks on HAL?

Hank

I have only sailed on Disney. Over on disboards when talking of Disneys cutback/changes, NCL comes up in discussion and the changes that their new CEO is making. So I haven't heard of anyone but Disney and NCL making cutbacks till I started these threads.

I have only sailed on Disney. Over on disboards when talking of Disneys cutback/changes, NCL comes up in discussion and the changes that their new CEO is making. So I haven't heard of anyone but Disney and NCL making cutbacks till I started these threads.

I think one thing you can count on is that any change that involves removing something will result in a 13-page thread, minimum, while any new feature or amenity will be mentioned briefly. People don't much like change, but they hate having features taken away.

My sister has taken many more cruises than we have, on all classes of ships from Carnival to Seabourn. I was telling her how we were surprised how much we liked HAL. She said, roughly paraphrased, "Any day on a cruise is a good day." :-)

One thing that hasn't come up so far in these threads, I don't think, is where you plan to take your next cruise? If your next cruise is going to be another Caribbean or Bahamas itinerary, then the ship is probably the real destination and you'll probably want to go for a big mega-ship with lots of stuff to do, since you won't really need or want to visit the ports very much. If you're going on a cruise somewhere you haven't been before, say Alaska or Mediterranean, you might prefer a smaller ship that focuses more on comfort and good service.

I think one thing you can count on is that any change that involves removing something will result in a 13-page thread, minimum, while any new feature or amenity will be mentioned briefly. People don't much like change, but they hate having features taken away.

My sister has taken many more cruises than we have, on all classes of ships from Carnival to Seabourn. I was telling her how we were surprised how much we liked HAL. She said, roughly paraphrased, "Any day on a cruise is a good day." :-)

One thing that hasn't come up so far in these threads, I don't think, is where you plan to take your next cruise? If your next cruise is going to be another Caribbean or Bahamas itinerary, then the ship is probably the real destination and you'll probably want to go for a big mega-ship with lots of stuff to do, since you won't really need or want to visit the ports very much. If you're going on a cruise somewhere you haven't been before, say Alaska or Mediterranean, you might prefer a smaller ship that focuses more on comfort and good service.

For now we are looking in the Caribbean and Bahamas, to go someplace warm. We have been to Mexico a few times and like Nassau really not a place we want to visit again. Thanks to Disney's very limited itineraries there are a lot of islands that we haven't been yet, so we would be able to see some new ports. We also really wanted to go back to San Juan and absolutely love the laid back pace of St. Marten. So there are still destinations for us in the areas.

For 7-day Eastern Caribbean itineraries out of Florida, many megaships now just have 3 port of calls. HAL still have 4. Also, HAL often offers 3rd/4th person sail free or reduced fare. They don't advertise actively, and are only offered for some selected sailings only ... including Caribbean. You have to look for it or get a TA to help.

For 7-day Eastern Caribbean itineraries out of Florida, many megaships now just have 3 port of calls. HAL still have 4. Also, HAL often offers 3rd/4th person sail free or reduced fare. They don't advertise actively, and are only offered for some selected sailings only ... including Caribbean. You have to look for it or get a TA to help.

Ok, so lets look at the Eurodam in the Caribbean next month. Yes, they do have 4 ports on a 7 day cruise. And they depart from 3 of them at 3PM...which means being aboard by 2:30. The 4th (San Juan) is from noon until 8 pm! We live in Puerto Vallarta in the winter (there now) and we can see the cruise ships come and go from our condo. Ships normally arrive early in the morning and leave at 5 or later. But the one HAL ship we saw was leaving shortly after 3pm!

We ourselves once did a back to back (7 day cruises) on the Westerdam in the Caribbean and we had fewer hours in each port then any other ship on our itinerary (we could care less since we often do not bother getting off the ship in the Caribbean). But my point is before you start tossing out numbers of ports give some consideration to the hours in those ports. An 8-3 port day is awful on many levels. If you simply want a nice beach day you often need to be leaving the beach by 1 or 1:30 to get back to the ship. Bummer. And as to facilities for kids/teens, not only does HAL have some ships with only a single pool....but you are not going to find water slides, wave pools, etc etc. As seniors we are happy that this stuff is not on HAL. But it is still a line on which we would not be taking grandchildren.

Hank

Cutbacks have hit all the major cruise lines, especially in the food category. I think its been most prevalent on NCL though, probably because their CEO openly admitted he wanted to squeeze more money out of each passenger on board. Daily gratuities were raised twice within a few months, they started a $7.95 room service charge, and they attempted to stop people from taking food back to their room (that one didn't last). Even when they offer booking freebies like booze or food packages, they still hit you with a 18% gratuity charge. They're becoming an ala-cart cruise line that started with their Freestyle concept. It's a love/hate cruise line.

Ok, so lets look at the Eurodam in the Caribbean next month. Yes, they do have 4 ports on a 7 day cruise. And they depart from 3 of them at 3PM...which means being aboard by 2:30. The 4th (San Juan) is from noon until 8 pm! We live in Puerto Vallarta in the winter (there now) and we can see the cruise ships come and go from our condo. Ships normally arrive early in the morning and leave at 5 or later. But the one HAL ship we saw was leaving shortly after 3pm!

We ourselves once did a back to back (7 day cruises) on the Westerdam in the Caribbean and we had fewer hours in each port then any other ship on our itinerary (we could care less since we often do not bother getting off the ship in the Caribbean). But my point is before you start tossing out numbers of ports give some consideration to the hours in those ports. An 8-3 port day is awful on many levels. If you simply want a nice beach day you often need to be leaving the beach by 1 or 1:30 to get back to the ship. Bummer. And as to facilities for kids/teens, not only does HAL have some ships with only a single pool....but you are not going to find water slides, wave pools, etc etc. As seniors we are happy that this stuff is not on HAL. But it is still a line on which we would not be taking grandchildren.

Hank

Hank, thanks for the comment.

We are happy with those hours at the port. 8am to 3pm is fine. Noon to 8pm is also fine for us. We aren't as sophisticated as many posters here on the HAL board; we haven't yet had the experience to cruise outside of Caribbean or do anything longer than a week; I don't have as strong a feeling on HAL (positive or negative) as many posters here. We have taken our kids twice on HAL - both for a week, both Caribbean, both on Signature class ship. My family enjoyed them and we will do it again when the timing and price are right for us.

Edited by Friend100

Want to thank everyone for the help with our decision. It was a difficult one ultimately between Celebrity and Royal, and it came down to how the dining times worked out. We really felt we couldn't go wrong with either, each checked different things off our list. We will be sailing on the Freedom of the Seas and we are super excited to go:)

Want to thank everyone for the help with our decision. It was a difficult one ultimately between Celebrity and Royal, and it came down to how the dining times worked out. We really felt we couldn't go wrong with either, each checked different things off our list. We will be sailing on the Freedom of the Seas and we are super excited to go:)

I think you made a great choice. You and your family are going to have a great time. Enjoy your cruise. :)

I think you made the right choice, too. I do hope you will report back after your cruise.:)

We sailed on Freedom OS in her inaugural season. Loved her! The cantilevered whirlpools and Flow Rider were the "big things" introduced on this ship. I'm sure she has received more upgrades since then. Bon voyage and happy sailing - great choice for your family!

The op wasn't asking if dcl was right for them. They are leaving dcl as its too pricy. The op asked if Hal was right and I said either RC or carnival would likely be better. I have no idea why you decided to tell me about dcl :confused:. No one said Hal attracts a younger crowd. I get tired of hearing that everyone is ancient from the same posters.

WOW - bad hair day?

All that person did was quote your post saying you were a toddler when JFK died ( as was I) - it doesn't really make you nor I a spring chicken.

I don't think they were trying to tell you anything.

enjoy, life is good and all opinions count on the boards, right ? ;):D

Spot on, Kazu!!! Too bad that some CCers just don't "get it".

Thank you for all the replies. This is going to be an interesting decision. We are so used to being so busy on a DCL cruise in the afternoon and evening that we will either be lost or really enjoy the more relaxed vacation pace. The only worry we had with Holland was that my in laws always talked about the martini bar and playing cards they brought, on our cruises we have yet to play a game we packed.

I will say though that others that have sailed DCL have said they have enjoyed Holland, so wow so many options out there when I open my eyes up. We are looking to cruise in the Bahamas or carabean (I know I butchered the spelling, but my iPad won't fix it for me lol)

I'm thinking that maybe you would enjoy the Princess cruises.