Intrigued by ultra low pricing, but is HAL a misfit for us?

We are a young family (mid 30's with a baby). A co-worker of mine was discussing his HAL cruise this past fall and he told me he paid $199 per person for a 7 day cruise on their biggest ship; he even showed me the invoice. I was shocked! I could not believe the pricing. It definitely got my attention.

Considering watching HAL prices for the late fall/winter season again (off peak) but wondering if HAL would be a fit for us? We are not partiers, but need some nightlife. Live music (not all Frank Sinatra covers...) Karaoke, maybe an audience participation game show, or a song/dance show.

We're somewhat casual on vacation. My co-worker told us we must avoid the main dining room on formal nights unless we get all done up. Is this true? What is the HAL policy on bringing a baby to a specialty restaurant or are we going to be forced to the buffet? How is HALS dinner buffets?

For $199 per person what are they omitting or cutting out? I just can't believe a 7 day trip is so cheap. Is it likely prices will be that low again this year? Does HAL have a baby rate or 3rd guest rate?

Really have never had HAL on the radar before, but knowing some of the pricing, well, it is too hard to ignore. We can drive to the port and since the baby is young enough we can go off peak weeks without worrying about school. Just don't want a sentient experience.

We're somewhat casual on vacation. My co-worker told us we must avoid the main dining room on formal nights unless we get all done up. Is this true? What is the HAL policy on bringing a baby to a specialty restaurant or are we going to be forced to the buffet? How is HALS dinner buffets?

The MDR on formal nights is jacket and tie for male clothing, nice dress or pantsuit/dressy pants for female clothing.

For $199 per person what are they omitting or cutting out? I just can't believe a 7 day trip is so cheap. Is it likely prices will be that low again this year? Does HAL have a baby rate or 3rd guest rate?

They are omitting taxes, fees, and port charges, which are mandatory (and likely more than your fare at that price). The HSC (hotel service charge), which is technically not mandatory, but it goes to pay the hotel/restaurant type staff, so you're a jerk if you take it off. It doesn't cover any excursions, nor most drinks. It's also likely an inside guarantee, which means you get no window, not even a porthole, and you don't get to pick your cabin.

I'd suggest you go to the HAL site and run through the booking process (without actually pulling the trigger at the end) on some cruises that appeal to you. You can also look at the ship amenities, and what entertainment is available on each of the ships.

We are a young family (mid 30's with a baby). A co-worker of mine was discussing his HAL cruise this past fall and he told me he paid $199 per person for a 7 day cruise on their biggest ship; he even showed me the invoice. I was shocked! I could not believe the pricing. It definitely got my attention.

Considering watching HAL prices for the late fall/winter season again (off peak) but wondering if HAL would be a fit for us? We are not partiers, but need some nightlife. Live music (not all Frank Sinatra covers...) Karaoke, maybe an audience participation game show, or a song/dance show.

Really have never had HAL on the radar before, but knowing some of the pricing, well, it is too hard to ignore. We can drive to the port and since the baby is young enough we can go off peak weeks without worrying about school. Just don't want a sentient experience.

While I agree that $199 pp is a great price, you must remember that the cabin location is likely not to be very good (in a high noise area, etc), so be sure to check that out. Most times these very low prices are for "guarantee" cabins, which means that HAL can put you in any cabin they like (in your booked category or higher) - no choice by you.

One option to avoiding formal night is the Lido buffet, while another is room service. On HAL (unlike most other lines) you can easily order off of the main dining room menu (posted early each day) and have it sent to your cabin at the time you choose. Not a great option in a small cabin with a baby, but it is an option.

Who is going to be watching your baby while you attend certain activities in the evening?

Also the Hotel Service Charge will show up on your shipboard account for the baby as well as both of you.

The person who showed that price to you may have gotten a sale. There is no guarantee that you will see the same prices this fall.

Low, low price should never be the first consideration when determining what cruise to take.

Selecting a cruise line that matches your style, then the ship with the itinerary you want, is much more important. Not all cruise lines are created equal, and that is to the good.

HAL hasn't played Sinatra-type music in ages, but the music that is played isn't current, either. If the genre of music matters, take that into consideration. Evening shows are geared to an older audience.

You would likely be among the youngest adults on the ship. Will you be happy socializing with fellow passengers who are older?

Take a good look at several cruise lines to determine which ones seem to be the best match for you, then budget for that.

We have not seen any $299. pricing this year but there could well be.

Last summer we did see $249/$299 7 day Alaska pricing on HAL, Princess, and NCL minute fares from Vancouver and Seattle. We were watching as we live within driving distance to the port. Many of the cabins at that price were insides though Princess did have quite a few obstructed outsides at that price.

Cannot comment on third and forth passenger as we are beyond that stage. I would think that you could get similar pricing on short notice Caribbean cruises. We have been on a number of Caribbean cruises and met local residents who wait for $299/$399 fares and then jump on board.

Our first cruise with children was years ago from Vancouver where we were living at the time. Alaska cruise on Legend of the Seas. My business TA called on Wednesday and asked if we wanted to leave on Saturday for a knock down price (prices were higher then). All four of us in a ocean view cabin. Our children were 10 and 8. We went, not really knowing anything about the ship or really about cruising.

We had a wonderful time. So much so that we pulled our kids out of school two years later and did a last minute early Dec. Caribbean cruise.

The total cost will be more than you expect. Like others said, add taxes, gratuities etc. But it is still a bargain. Sure you may be cramped, your cabin may not be in the best location. But you will have 7 days on a ship where you spend most of your waking time outside the cabin. And you will have lots of fun. If your budget is tight I would say go for it. Just review the pricing across all lines and gain some knowledge of the ship you are looking at. Not all ships are equal in either condition or amenities that you value.

Edited by iancal

Low, low price should never be the first consideration when determining what cruise to take.

Selecting a cruise line that matches your style, then the ship with the itinerary you want, is much more important. Not all cruise lines are created equal, and that is to the good.

HAL hasn't played Sinatra-type music in ages, but the music that is played isn't current, either. If the genre of music matters, take that into consideration. Evening shows are geared to an older audience.

You would likely be among the youngest adults on the ship. Will you be happy socializing with fellow passengers who are older?

Take a good look at several cruise lines to determine which ones seem to be the best match for you, then budget for that.

To the OP:

I agree with Ruth in that price should not be the only factor but understand that it does enter into the equation for most of us. The price you quoted is extremely low for HAL [in fact, it is even very low for non-premium mass-market lines like CCL and NCL] so it may be the chance to try out the line without much to lose. That way you can see if HAL is your style or not without being out thousands of dollars.

I can also attest that Ruth is correct in HAL catering to an older demographic. I just returned from the Veendam and, at 32 years old, I was DEFINITELY one of the youngest adults on board. In my case, I preferred it that way but others may not. Almost everyone I encountered on the trip was well-traveled and had sophisticated tastes in music, art, etc. The unruly and inebriated were very few and far between. The crew on HAL is wonderful and they provide warm, unobtrusive [albeit more formal style of] service. I prefer listening to a violinist in the lounge to poolside games and hairy chest contests so HAL was a great fit for me; others, however, may miss the waterslides, pool games and hustle-bustle of the more family-oriented lines.

Edited by Bostonjetset

Unless you plan to keep the baby with you all the time (meals, shows, etc.), I would check which cruise lines have either baby sitting services (which would be for a fee) and/or accept children of your child's age in the kid's club. I don't believe HAL has any programs for those under three years old.

We aren't new to cruising in general. Know all about the port fees, tip charges, insurance, etc. That's not an issue. When I asked what was omitted, I meant more along the lines of what is HAL cutting out to sell cabins for 199? Or is it just deals to fill the ship?

I'd anticipate with all the fees and taxes, etc., that $600 in cruise fare for 3 probably adds up to $1300-1500 when all said and done. Still, a lot less than the $2500-$3000 it would take to get 3 people on most other lines ships unless there is a crazy sale.

We have been to many of the caribbean ports. We don't really care where the ship goes. The baby is too young for us to take major journeys, but a week getaway at a low cost is appealing. With no airfare needed we are looking to do cruises from Florida or Florida-based trips for the next few years.

I don't mind anyones age, or us being the youngest, as long as they are cool and fun people. With the baby we're usually in bed by 10PM or so, which means back to the cabin by 9. As to who would watch the baby; we would. Who else? :confused: I imagine they have a child care center/staff/activities for us to use during the day or am I wrong on that count?

I'm just trying to determine if HAL can be a relaxing young family vacation, but still have some activities for us after dinner time.

To the OP:

I agree with Ruth in that price should not be the only factor but understand that it does enter into the equation for most of us. The price you quoted is extremely low for HAL [in fact, it is even very low for non-premium mass-market lines like CCL and NCL] so it may be the chance to try out the line without much to lose. That way you can see if HAL is your style or not without being out thousands of dollars.

I can also attest that Ruth is correct in HAL catering to an older demographic. I just returned from the Veendam and, at 32 years old, I was DEFINITELY one of the youngest adults on board. In my case, I preferred it that way but others may not. Almost everyone I encountered on the trip was well-traveled and had sophisticated tastes in music, art, etc. The unruly and inebriated were very few and far between. The crew on HAL is wonderful and they provide warm, unobtrusive [albeit more formal style of] service. I prefer listening to a violinist in the lounge to poolside games and hairy chest contests so HAL was a great fit for me; others, however, may miss the waterslides, pool games and hustle-bustle of the more family-oriented lines.

Spot on with your first paragraph. A way to try something out without the big money risk.

As far as what we like...somewhere in-between what you describe in at the end of your last paragraph. For instance my wife loves karaoke, but she is not a drinker and to her a late night is 10:30PM.

Does HAL have poolside calypso bands, ice cream machine, etc?

I don't mind anyones age, or us being the youngest, as long as they are cool and fun people. With the baby we're usually in bed by 10PM or so, which means back to the cabin by 9. As to who would watch the baby; we would. Who else? :confused: I imagine they have a child care center/staff/activities for us to use during the day or am I wrong on that count?

Best place to get information about that is HAL's site. The following links may be useful:

FAQ

Specific information about children and babysitting

Note especially that there is no babysitting available while the ship is in port.

Club Hal starts at 3 years of age. The child must be toilet trained. The only cruise line that I know of that takes children younger than 3 is Disney and then you pay extra. Has something to do with health and safety and changing diapers. So that means no children in pools unless they are toilet trained. This may be an issue.

We bring our children with us, no problem. I am usually in bed by 10:30 too. Not always, but sometimes.

There are high chairs available in the dining room and lido.

There is entertainment, not the Las Vegas type, but very good in my opinion. I don't cruise for the entertainment. Karaoke, trivia, dancing with the stars, cooking classes, computer classes, BB King Blues band, and different shows in the Vista Theatre every night that can vary from musical, dancing, comedy....

some sailings, especially in slow times, have free 3rd and 4th guests sharing the same stateroom. We are looking into those right now. You just do up bookings from a cruising TA website and see if they charge for the 3rd person.

From the Holland America website:

• Club HAL® — Kids*: Children, ages 3-7, can participate in such activities as pirate treasure hunts, storytelling, "Little Artists" crafts, ice cream sundae parties and a farewell pajama party.
  • All children participating in Club HAL must be at least three years of age at the time of sailing and completely toilet trained. No diapers or pull–ups are permitted in the Youth Center. Youth Staff cannot assist children in the restroom.

and

Babysitting Services Limited babysitting services are available through the Front Office for a small surcharge for children 5 years of age and under. This service is provided by staff on a volunteer basis, and may not always be available. Babysitting services are not offered while the ship is in port.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Activities.action?tabName=Youth+Programs

Yup.

We've been traveling on HAL since we were your age and loved it then and continue to love it.

Dan

I remember seeing Holland America 7 day cruises for $199, don't remember the details. Prices are frequently lowest between the Thanksgiving and December holidays. The $199 per person price may disappear once you add a third person to the cabin.

With a boatload of cruisers paying bargain prices Holland America may cut back on food and entertainment quality. If Holland America has cheap prices, competing cruise lines should too. All you can do is monitor prices and hope for the best.

HAL would NOT be my first choice either if we were taking children, unless it was cruise during a school holiday period. Most especially their older, smaller ships.

Edited by iancal

Spot on with your first paragraph. A way to try something out without the big money risk.

As far as what we like...somewhere in-between what you describe in at the end of your last paragraph. For instance my wife loves karaoke, but she is not a drinker and to her a late night is 10:30PM.

I've only sailed on Veendam so am not an expert on HAL poolside bands but they did have some live music by the Retreat [adult] pool on some days like during sailways; it was not all the time though and was not as loud as some other lines.

There was ice cream [both hard, softserve, and frozen yogurt] in the Lido but it was served to you by a crew member. I don't recall seeing any self-serve ice cream on Veendam but someone who has been on the newer ships may have info on those. The hard ice cream was very good and a variety of cone types [waffle, kiddie, etc] and toppings were available; special flavors changed daily but I think vanilla and chocolate were always available.

On the Veendam last week, we were told only 20 kids [under 18s] were on board out of about 1,300 passengers. Of course school is in session and Bermuda in general attracts an older crowd so sailings from FL may have more.

Another suggestion if you want something in between what I described in my first reply would be to maybe look at Princess. We absolutely loved Princess as well and they would be another line of choice for us. They offer a bit more in varied entertainment but it is still a "premium" line with excellent service. After sailing Princess and HAL it will be hard for us to go back to Carnival or Norwegian [although itinerary and price could sway us back at times].

one other price reduction value you might see on some itineraries is 3 rd person free. Doubt you would see both the $199 and the 3rd person at the same time. You can eat dinner at the Lido buffet and they usually have a dish or two that is being served in the main dining room. Entertainment will be a magician, singer, musical instrument player, comedian and the ship's entertainment crew doing song and dance. There is a movie daily and usually will be ones just released in DVD form. Not much of the goofy games you find on some lines but always daily trivia competition. There is also a piano bar in the evening which many of our CCers enjoy.

Most of the cruise lines sailing out of South Florida were offering relatively last minute, super low fares in November and December of 2014. I think that Royal Caribbean & Princess had some deals that were even less expensive. We live in Fort Lauderdale, and we're on everyone's mailing list. (Not sure why, exactly - but that's neither here nor there.)

If you are a real deal hunter, the beginning of the Caribbean season offers some pretty inexpensive trips. The downside is that the seas aren't nearly as flat as they are in January through March. You might miss Half Moon Cay. Tender ports could be hit and miss.

We took advantage of a kinda last minute booking last November. It wasn't $199, but we did get a Signature Suite at a favorable price. We cruised on the same ship two weeks later - a back to back Collector's Cruise. To be honest, there wasn't a whole lot of difference. You have to remember that only a small percentage of the cabins are sold at the low rate. Other than the fact that we paid less (per day) for the single week than we did for the B2B, there wasn't a whole lot of difference.

There are usually deals to be had on every cruise line in late October, November, and December. Excluding holidays of course. Will they be as good as 2014? I couldn't venture a guess. Last year was seriously value packed.

If you hang out in the Northern Lights (not available on all ships), you'll find a DJ who'll play the latest top 40 hits, sometimes far into the night. Depends upon the cruise. Longer cruises tend to skew toward older passengers, while 7 night Caribbean cruises, especially during school breaks skew toward couples with children.

I agree with RuthC, though. Research the cruise lines. Book stores have excellent guides that categorize the various cruise lines. You can also find some of this information online. Best of luck in selecting a cruise & a ship that works best for you.

We pulled our kids out of school twice for 7 day Caribbean cruises, both in early Dec, and twice in April to visit Disneyland/SeaWorld etc. Both were in elementary school. You don't have this issue now but you will before long!

Looking back, we are very glad we did. Few crowds, better prices, and absolutely nothing missed in school. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you can leave on short notice I would highly recommend the period between

Thanksgiving and Christmas. Great prices and probably even better for FLA residents. Try to hook up with a local TA who specials in seniors. We have been told several times by cruise mates that when ships have too high vacancy rates the TA's start to canvas the retirement communities. As some have said to us...."at these prices we cannot afford to stay at home."

We aren't new to cruising in general. Know all about the port fees, tip charges, insurance, etc. That's not an issue. When I asked what was omitted, I meant more along the lines of what is HAL cutting out to sell cabins for 199? Or is it just deals to fill the ship?

I'd anticipate with all the fees and taxes, etc., that $600 in cruise fare for 3 probably adds up to $1300-1500 when all said and done. Still, a lot less than the $2500-$3000 it would take to get 3 people on most other lines ships unless there is a crazy sale.

We have been to many of the caribbean ports. We don't really care where the ship goes. The baby is too young for us to take major journeys, but a week getaway at a low cost is appealing. With no airfare needed we are looking to do cruises from Florida or Florida-based trips for the next few years.

I'm just trying to determine if HAL can be a relaxing young family vacation, but still have some activities for us after dinner time.

I really doubt that you will be the youngest. We were in our 20's on our first HAL cruise. Had a great time. Age has never been a big issue for us. Have always had friends of all ages.

The old joke is that HAL is the cruise line for 60 year olds and their parents...but...

While there is truth to that the demographic varies from itinerary to ship to the time of year, etc. Those prices were most likely to fill the ship or a great teaser cruise fare. HAL usually keeps pricing higher until they reach about 60 days out and look at their bookings then adjust accordingly. As the cruise gets closer they may upgrade their loyal cruisers and try to fill in the cheaper cabins again.

I can't answer to the questions regarding the baby but I have seen some teenagers and youngsters around depending on the time of year but they are almost always supervised and well behaved.

I have sailed HAL twice and enjoyed both trips. RCCL has much larger ships with much more activities but also many more people to compete with for space, but I still enjoy them very much as well. The HAL ships I have sailed so far devoted a LOT of space to public areas so I never felt crowded. The staff seemed to be very friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Other than formal nights you can use the MDR with smart casual clothing such as khakis, nice jeans, polos, and equivalent for women. They often insist on a jacket (maybe a tie also) for the formal nights but may have one to loan you. I usually skip the MDR those nights and eat in the lido which will be less crowded.

HAL offers computer classes partnered with Microsoft on each cruise; they have cooking demonstrations and classes in several other things as well. They also have a screening room for movies, a piano and a sports bar and a scenic top-of-the-ship crow's nest to enjoy the view and relax during the day or play games, etc.

At those prices if you can get a decent room (I suggest avoiding the first and possibly second decks) away from the engine and crew quarters then you should have a great time. Their cabins tend to be more spacious than some other lines even for the cheaper categories and they mostly have tubs which would come in handy for the baby.

Just go and enjoy!

While HAL definitely attracts an older crowd, it does depend on length of cruise, time of year and itinerary. On our recent 15 day Florida to Montreal repositioning cruise (departed May 1), at age 66 we were part of the younger set! On our early Jan. Caribbean 7 day cruise, we were more in the middle of the pack.