Vaccinations for South America

32Knocker

I did that cruise in reverse (Santiago to BA) in Feb. this year. NO vaccinations were required. A flu shot is highly recommended. However, check with your doctor and/or a travel clinic, especially if you are taking a side trip into the interior of any SA country.

Perhaps you mean Valparaiso since the only "port" in Santiago is an airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some cruise lines sell the cruise as Buenos Aires to Santiago with the embarkation/disembarkation city in parentheses after Santiago similar to Rome (Civitavecchia), Athens (Piraeus), and London (Southampton), etc. Actually most, if not all, cruises this season now embark/disembark at San Antonio not Valparaiso.

We are also sailing out of Buenos Aires in Feb with stops included in Brazil. What I found was that while not required, CDC recommends the yellow fever vaccine and had expanded that to include Rio De Janeiro because of an outbreak earlier this year. I called CDC and was advised that if our stay is limited in duration and we stick close to the tourist part of the city, then they wouldn't recommend it. If you are not going to Brazil, then I guess this is apropos of nothing.

Further, the Yellow Fever vaccine (YF-Va) is depleted and a supply is not expected until mid-2018. There is a substitute vaccine but the potential side effects are such that I won't be using it.

I literally just went through this yesterday, so thought I would share.

Like others I would recommend you obtain guidance from your medical professional. BTW, I found the CDC web site very easy to use.

We have no idea what is required but we have most of it since our trip to Africa.

One thing though. We travel frequently and have always ensured that two vaccinations are up to date. Tetanus and Hep.

You can contract these anywhere-even at home. A friend contracted Hep C at home and has been very ill for the past several years. It has turned his retirement into a nightmare.

I think there may be some confusion or misunderstanding here. The question isn't just whether a vaccination is required. The question should also be whether a vaccination is recommended. Using Yellow fever as an example, many countries may require proof of vaccination if someone travels from and sometimes even through a country at risk of yellow fever. For example, Australia requires a yellow fever vaccination certificate for people traveling from countries with risk of yellow fever. Brazil has no requirement that travelers have a yellow fever vaccination. However, CDC recommends anyone traveling into Brazil have a yellow fever vaccine. There are some countries that require all travelers have a yellow fever vaccination regardless of their country of origin. I am not 100% positive but believe these are highly "at risk" countries (two examples are Angola & Cameroon).

So, to put it simply, while there might not be an entry requirement for a vaccination, CDC will recommend vaccinations for high risk areas.