Juneau Whale Watching for the motion sickness prone

Ellio043

We are looking to book a tour in July. A few in our group are prone to motion sickness (we tried to break away and do a tour separately but the people with motion sickness history are insisting on coming). Anybody with motion sickness history have a successful experience? If so, what tour? To make things more complicated, we will have a 17 month old with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The whale watch tours are in Auke Bay. I have been out many times and it has never been rough. I suggest booking through the cruise line though to get one of the bigger Allen Marine boats. They are catamarans and very stable. The small six-pack boats are more prone to the motion of the ocean....

I am extremely prone to motion sickness - have to take Meclizine just to go on amusement park rides

We were on the Juneau Whale Watch tour last September while it was rainy. Didn't have any issues but I did take a dose of Meclizine the night before......

I get sea sick when I go out on a party boat fishing sometimes. When I went whale watching in Juneau with Allen Marine, it was pretty calm and no problem at all. You never know what to expect though. If they want to go, maybe they should take some meclezine but chances are it will be fine.

First, imho, it is up to the ones who are prone to motion sickness to worry about themselves. Harsh but seriously, they are making the decision to do a whale watch. I sometimes travel with someone who is prone to motion sickness, and I have now (after multiple excursions where she gets uncomfortable/queasy/sick/whiny) made it abundantly clear that she's been warned, and if she gets motion sick, SHE needs to figure out what to do. Or not do the excursion.

Second, you may have trouble finding a whale watch where the 17 month old will be permitted. I'm not sure if the ship excursion allows children that young, but if they do, imho you are best to go with them. The boats are more stable, too.

• 2 weeks later...
I am extremely prone to motion sickness - have to take Meclizine just to go on amusement park rides

We were on the Juneau Whale Watch tour last September while it was rainy. Didn't have any issues but I did take a dose of Meclizine the night before......

Im a big Meclizine fan as well, take it before all kinds of travel and rides.

Instead of buying Bonine (Brand name) I purchase Meclizine over the counter from Wal-Mart pharmacy for about $4 bucks for a 100 chewable tablets. :D:D

Im a big Meclizine fan as well, take it before all kinds of travel and rides.

Instead of buying Bonine (Brand name) I purchase Meclizine over the counter from Wal-Mart pharmacy for about $4 bucks for a 100 chewable tablets. :D:D

We do the same, but we buy from Costco

Second, you may have trouble finding a whale watch where the 17 month old will be permitted. I'm not sure if the ship excursion allows children that young, but if they do, imho you are best to go with them. The boats are more stable, too.

I checked their website, because I know that some of the companies have minimum weights (to make certain that their life jackets fit). Juneau Whale Watch not only allows infants, but "Toddlers and Infants under 3 are free. Please let us know your toddler or infant is coming along in the NOTES box."

Thanks for all the tips! I'm going to tell my mother in law she needs to get these meds!

Verify this "advice" with a health care provider. It isn't for everyone.

Frankly, you are on water, you can expect motion and it's unknown who may or may not have ill effects.

I would think, precautions should already be in effect? Aren't they considering some remedy for the cruise? I certainly have seen sick people on the cruise ship- numerous times.

We booked a private tour with Harv and Marv (you can do that with as few as 6 people). My stepfather has motion sickness, and he didn't have any problems while we were out on their boats. It was customized to what we wanted, and I am sure they would have returned him to shore if we had needed to. With a 17 month old, that would be the route I would choose. Fewer people to worry about chasing a toddler through. Easier to see the whales than on one of those massive double decker boats. More personalization to do what your group needs.

Meclizine is a wonderful medication. Make sure your mother in law checks with her doctor and/or pharmacist to ensure there isn't any reactions with other medications she may be taking.

I agree with making sure to check with her physician to see that there are no issues or drug interactions.

Meclizine (trade name Bonine) is an antihistamine as is Dramamine which is similar to Benadryl - essentially, Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) actually breaks down into Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)

Edited by Herfnerd

Of course any "Advice" is assuming that a medical provider would be consulted.

There are of course prescription patches, acupressure devices, Ginger capsules, green apples, etc.

Good luck!!

Red

I agree with making sure to check with her physician to see that there are no issues or drug interactions.

Meclizine (trade name Bonine) is an antihistamine as is Dramamine which is similar to Benadryl - essentially, Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) actually breaks down into Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)

Ask a pharmacist first before the physician. Their job is to check for drug interactions. It's their job to double check the doctors even. What a drug does to your body isn't the primary job of the doctor, especially if you've got another doc prescribing another medication. That's what a pharmacist is for.

As for whale watching, just find one that takes infants. It should be on a big boat. In which case, there will be a bathroom, is generally more stable, and has a big indoor area to confine the infant if necessary.

You will also see a "Dramamine II Less Drowsy" in the stores - which is in fact just Meclizine.

As far as Juneau based trips, Auke Bay is pretty sheltered so shouldn't be much trouble, look at a map/chart:)