anchor

lasefton

And this question is often asked by those with a forward cabin. The answer is, very noisy. You will know when they deploy and are retrieved. Doesn't matter if it is either or both, you will hear them and feel them!!!

You won't oversleep any shore excursions.

Just to clarify this a little. GPS doesn't maintain the ship in position. The thrusters do. GPS just tells the operators if the ship is where the operators want it to be.

Additionally, for tendering operations to be as smooth and safe as possible, the dock area (on the side of the ship) needs to be sheltered from the wind, and thus, from some waves. As the direction of the wind and waves can move over time, so the ship will need to move to maintain this sheltering position. Again, GPS has nothing to do with this, using the thrusters does.

Your response is accurate, to a point.

Without a GPS, the ship would wander around while trying to maintain a fixed position. Perhaps through landmarks.

Without propulsion, the GPS would track your route as you crashed into the rocks.

You definately need both, which was my original point.

• 5 years later...
a lil anchor 'science'

A factor in this situation is that the anchor really has little to do with keeping the ship in place. If that was the case one would simply drop the anchor and be done and this IS nearly the case with little boats - you back away a little to dig in the flukes but that's it..you depend on the anchor and the mud. On a ship, when you anchor you KNOW the weight of the anchor or the anchor and mud is NOT going to hold you position for long, you drop the anchor then back away dropping chain - the chain amount is many times the depth of the water ... as much as 5 times or more. It is the resistance of the chain dragging along the bottom, plus the shock absorber effect of the weight of the chain trying to be lifted off the bottom that holds the ship. The anchor is like the anchor man of a tug-o-war team .... helps dig in the end but not usually able to do the job alone.

and BTW my reply has at best a 10% application to OP's question

for that I say

sorry

Tru as was explained to me by the master of Emerald Princess, the anchor anchors the chain and the chain anchors the ship. Useful piece, thank you.

Port and starboard just aft of the bow and on the stern....I am happy to say that I have never seen one deployed from the stern. One of the forward ones is dropped in tender ports.

The stern, or stream anchor is rarely deployed, primarily due to the expensive props, shafts and rudders back aft. In 40 yrs at sea I never used one, however they taught us how to use it when anchored in a narrow channel when the ship couldn't swing.

Oh 4 SURE, holding a ship in place is only one function of an anchor. The anchor is a valuable tool in slow speed handling of a ship. b4 the advent of thrusters ... knowing how to use and anchor in pier side man'vering was what meant you were Captain

and btw that dropped anchor helps them get OUT too

Yes, this was common practice in Port Said, you dropped the anchor in the channel before berthing and used it to pull away from the berth.

And this question is often asked by those with a forward cabin. The answer is, very noisy. You will know when they deploy and are retrieved. Doesn't matter if it is either or both, you will hear them and feel them!!!

But the anchors would only be deployed in a tender port. What is most frequently heard and felt is the bow thrusters when the ship is maneuvering while docking or departing from a pier.

But the anchors would only be deployed in a tender port. What is most frequently heard and felt is the bow thrusters when the ship is maneuvering while docking or departing from a pier.

Actually an anchor is often used to assist in maneuvering in tight waters. I was on Norwegian Sea, in an inside mid ships cabin all the way forward when the dropped an anchor to assist in making a tight turn in St. George, Bermuda before coming alongside the pier. The noise and vibration from the chain paying out just a few feet from my head was a very effective wake up call. Bow thrusters sound and feel very differently.

Actually an anchor is often used to assist in maneuvering in tight waters. I was on Norwegian Sea, in an inside mid ships cabin all the way forward when the dropped an anchor to assist in making a tight turn in St. George, Bermuda before coming alongside the pier. The noise and vibration from the chain paying out just a few feet from my head was a very effective wake up call. Bow thrusters sound and feel very differently.

Have heard and felt both and understand the difference. Was just pointing out that the anchors would not normally be used when docking at a pier. Your experience at St. George, while having been there and understanding the location, would not be typical of standard pier docking with most cruise ships today.