Sailing out of Cape Liberty, NJ ... How Cold Will It Be in Jan????

2Canucks

We've booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ for Jan 29, 2011 ... how cold will it be in NJ in January?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us concerning the above question.

Pat :)

We've booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ for Jan 29, 2011 ... how cold will it be in NJ in January?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us concerning the above question.

The mean temperature in NJ is about 30 degrees F.

There is also a possibility of snow...who can tell if and how much.

Check this page for info...

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim_v1/data/njhisttemp.html

I got a kick out of Canucks from Alberta worrying how cold it will be in NJ in January. What you should be aware of is that the first couple of days southbound and the last two northbound will not be shorts or swimsuit weather (unless the pool is covered and heated) The weather does not change much until you are well south of Cape Hatteras and pick up the warmth of the gulf stream somewhere off the coast of Florida. But then again, anything beats Alberta in January.:)

We sailed out of Bayonne in the middle of October last year and it was freezing then. Add the risk of winter weather and potential flight cancellations and even airport closings, and I can't understand why anyone would want to fly all that distance to cruise in the cold unless you want to feel at home... Although we enjoyed warm(er) weather sailing out of Bayonne the year before, we resolved that we would never again go on a cruise that was colder than the weather at home (in Southern Ontario). In Feb. we sailed out of Miami and the temperature was just above freezing at departure... what a year..

We sailed on December 19 one year and it was raining and my husband did muster in a t-shirt so unless you can predict the weather this far away I don't know if we can tell you how cold it will be. Sometimes we have a 'warm' winter and sometimes we get the ship kicked out of us.

When you come from NJ and only have to travel a half hour to the port to catch Silhouette, who cares how cold it is when you get on. I will stay inside for a day inside such a great ship and not complain. We are booked on the Nov. 20 sailing and are thinking about Feb sailing in 2012.

Pat

Hi Pat and Cliff:)....just remember, the winter of 2010 around the NE AND here in the SE was one of the longest and coldest on record.

If next winter is anything close to this year's? It is going to be REALLY COLD in January 2011:eek:

Just keep an eye on weather.com before you leave;)

If you are referring to Silly, she won't be here until NJ until late 2011. Are you sailing Jan 29, 2012?? It should still be cold then, also. :)

Since we live about 1 hour from the port, I'm taking a peak at a 2012 sailing.

Hi Pat and Cliff:)....just remember, the winter of 2010 around the NE AND here in the SE was one of the longest and coldest on record.If next winter is anything close to this year's? It is going to be REALLY COLD in January 2011:eek:Just keep an eye on weather.com before you leave;)

Pat, let me put it this way, being an ex-New York Stater: brrrrr. There's a reason we live in Floria! (Teeth chattering at the thought of January and the Northeast.):)

Shhhhh....just don't mention that "b" word. :eek:

We've booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ for Jan 29, 2011 ... how cold will it be in NJ in January? :)

Freezing is the word that comes to mind unless you hit an unusual "warm spell" which can happen. Winter is pretty much in full swing around that time with below freezing temperatures, nor'easters and a blizzard or two now and again. Should be fun sailing from there.

We drove to Bayonne for a cruise this past January and for the first day or two it was too cold to be on deck. Was it worth not having an airline flight? You betcha. But if you are already flying to NJ, you might consider flying all the way to somewhere warm.

We drove to Bayonne for a cruise this past January and for the first day or two it was too cold to be on deck. Was it worth not having an airline flight? You betcha. But if you are already flying to NJ, you might consider flying all the way to somewhere warm.

Which would not have been anywhere in Florida for the entire winter months this past year. Coldest for longest in recorded history. In fact, I took a photo of snow on our pool furniture -- granted it looked like baby powder, but it was snow!!!

Bayonne is ideal for those who drive to the port and not have worries about flying themselves. Anyone who is already flying, there are many more practical destinations where you can enjoy the warmth right away.

Not as cold as Canada, but cold. I grew up in NJ and January is Cold and Damp.

Thanks Everyone for your input ... it was greatly appreciated!

I was worried that this cruise might have a "cold" start and you have confirmed that fear! We liked the Caribbean ports listed on the Jan 29/12 sailing but it looks like we've decided to cancel this cruise in favor of a longer warmer version.

The whole point of cruising in Jan/Feb is to get away from the winter weather in Alberta! We have to do quite the dance to get to a cruise ... 3 hour car trip ... overnight in Calgary and then a long flight (connections usually) so it makes more sense to fly to a warmer location to board the ship.

With this cruise we were drawn to the itinerary but we really don't want to waste our "sunning time" to a cold start! ;)

The problem we have is ... we've done so many of the itineraries that Celebrity is offering in the Caribbean in Jan/Feb 2011 ... we might have to look elsewhere for a different mix of ports! :eek:

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks Everyone for your input ... it was greatly appreciated!

I was worried that this cruise might have a "cold" start and you have confirmed that fear! We liked the Caribbean ports listed on the Jan 29/12 sailing but it looks like we've decided to cancel this cruise in favor of a longer warmer version.

The whole point of cruising in Jan/Feb is to get away from the winter weather in Alberta! We have to do quite the dance to get to a cruise ... 3 hour car trip ... overnight in Calgary and then a long flight (connections usually) so it makes more sense to fly to a warmer location to board the ship.

With this cruise we were drawn to the itinerary but we really don't want to waste our "sunning time" to a cold start! ;)

The problem we have is ... we've done so many of the itineraries that Celebrity is offering in the Caribbean in Jan/Feb 2011 ... we might have to look elsewhere for a different mix of ports! :eek:

Thanks again for your help!

Pat, I agree with you in not wanting to spend 4 "cold" days at sea -- 2 going and 2 coming back.

It's a good itinerary for those who live local in the area and can drive to/from the port.

Looking forward to meeting you on MIllennium.

Pat

I'm right on the edge in north of Buffalo, an 8 hour drive or a two hour flight (flights into the New York City area are never easy). We decided that dealing with bad weather one time leaving home and flying to Florida for a cruise was far superior to risking bad weather leaving home and again we we arrived in NYC for the cruise.

That made it an easy decision to book the 1/29/11 Constellation cruise our of Port Everglades.

Art

Archived