Review of the NEW Deli Menu - Magic 1/13 Sailing

jas1178

Experienced the new deli menu and wanted to share my thoughts. (It may have been on another ship I was on - just didn't visit it)

The new setup has three toasting/heating units that the staff use to heat your hot sandwiches. Most of the sandwiches are pre-made and sitting out on shelves (think mailboxes for interoffice mail). I wondered if this was safe to have meat just sitting out at room temperature like that, but I guess all meats are fully cooked. Still not comfortable with that.

Each day they also have a "chiefs special" sandwich. One day it was a grilled Muenster cheese with spinach. It was tasty, but had been sitting on the shelf. The meatball was good.

The hotdogs were good, and the added toppings now available (Chili, sauerkraut, and onions) were a nice addition.

The french fries offered were also pretty good. For those that don't like guys, you may like these curly fries. They are supposed to also have truffle fries, but was told they didn't have any of the truffle oil to toss them in.

They were also out of egg salad all week (which is on the menu).

The salted chocolate chip cookie was very inconsistent. Sometimes it was cakey other times it was more like a tradition cookie. It went from amazing to yuck...when it was good, it was REALLY good.

So mixed feelings on the deli. Some great additions. Like the new toasting machines. Not a fan of pre-made sandwiches sitting out, and not able to be customized.

What have you experienced?

Based on what I saw, they would remove it from a pre-made sandwich. One guy wanted a sandwich minus egg (it was the chief special for the day). He watched them remove the egg...he decided that wasn't ok.

That was the way it was on the Conquest. Mailboxes is a good description--in a boutique sort of way. I usually just get grilled cheese, and they were fine. I don't eat hot dogs, but they seemed very popular. The felafel sandwich I had was served chilled, and it was pretty bad--don't quite understand what that was about.

I can see the benefit of having some sandwiches ready to go, but I would find it very surprising if they don't make sandwiches customized on request, in light of differences in taste and allergies. The fancy grilled cheese special sounds delicious, but onions = major stomachache for some of us. I love a good corned beef and cheese, plain. I'm pretty sure my picky kid doesn't want mustard on her grilled cheese. :eek: Burgers, pizza, are all made to order, so why would the deli be different? I could see one employee trying to "customize" a premade sandwich by removing something, but I doubt that's the general policy.