Underground Question London

Does anyone know if I can buy a ticket for the underground at Leister Square to travel to Knightsbridge STN? And can I get a ticket at Knightsbridge STN to go to Waterloo STN? Has anyone had trouble using a Canadian Visa or MasterCard for contactless payment? Are cash machines available at Leister S and Knightsbridge? Also, is there a subway train from Westminster to Leister S?

Thanks

Does anyone know if I can buy a ticket for the underground at Leister Square to travel to Knightsbridge STN? And can I get a ticket at Knightsbridge STN to go to Waterloo STN? Has anyone had trouble using a Canadian Visa or MasterCard for contactless payment? Are cash machines available at Leister S and Knightsbridge? Also, is there a subway train from Westminster to Leister S?

Thanks

I haven't been in London in years, but you can get a ticket at any station to any other station on the underground.

Leicester Square and Knightsbridge are both on the Piccadilly line, so that is a simple trip.

Knightsbridge to Waterloo requires a connection.

To get from Westminster to Leicester Square requires a connection, unless you walk over to Embankment station and take the Northern line.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk

Transport for London official website.

Everything you need to know, from route planning to paying for your ticket.

It is useful to also look at a London map with the underground stations marked on it. Sometimes there will be another station near your destination that doesn’t require a change of underground line. The route planner is useful for this if you put in the street or address you are going to, rather than the tube station you think you need!

Does anyone know if I can buy a ticket for the underground at Leister Square to travel to Knightsbridge STN? And can I get a ticket at Knightsbridge STN to go to Waterloo STN?
I would strongly urge you NOT to buy a ticket for each journey. If your credit/debit card will not work as contactless payment, then use it to buy an Oyster card. The main reason is that a cash ticket is £4.90 for each one-way journey. However, paying using an Oyster or contactless card is £2.40, and in addition if you use the same Oyster or contactless card all day you may reach the appropriate daily price cap if you do enough travel in one day.

You may want to note the correct spelling of Leicester. In particular, if you use the spelling you've used above, you run the risk of it being misread as Leinster. (And yes, there is a Leinster Square in London: I used to live there. You don't want to go there by accident.)

Are cash machines available at Leister S and Knightsbridge?
At Leicester Square station, yes.

I think that there almost certainly are machines at Knightsbridge station, but I don't know that station well as I hardly use it, and in any event there are two separate entrances to the station and it's possible that the cash machines are in only one of them.

To get from Westminster to Leicester Square requires a connection, unless you walk over to Embankment station and take the Northern line.
It'll be easier and faster to do the change than to walk from Westminister to Embankment, unless you want to make it a sightseeing walk either along the Embankment or along Whitehall (either is a pleasant stroll, and I choose to do them quite often).

Our U.S. contactless credit cards did not work when we tried them for Tube tickets. I bought us Oyster cards using the chip. The contactless feature worked for some transactions at other places we bought things, so I'm not sure why they did not work at Heathrow when we first tried them.

Late to see this, but if you are going to walk to Embankment from Westminster, you might as well walk up to Leicester Square.

Depends where in Westminster, of course, but probably easier to catch one of the many buses going up Whitehall and Charing Cross Road anyway.

Strongly support the purchase of Oyster card! Way, way, way better prices per trip, plus you can use them on buses and (I believe) even some river boats.

Just load as much value on it as you like and explore. You can get unused money back from ticket counters or keep the card for the next trip.

We bought oyster cards this week for our five nights in London. We had almost enough for our last tube ride but not quite. I had to add money to each one because our contactless chips still did not work. They worked at several other places. I got back the deposit and balance on the cards at a machine at Victoria Station right before we caught the coach to Southampton.

We had almost enough for our last tube ride but not quite.
Oysters will normally let you go "overdrawn" by a small amount, so actually you may not have needed to top up for the last journey. I think that you would simply have had the negative amount deducted from the deposit when you got the card refunded. That's one of the main reasons why there is a deposit on the cards.

Oysters will normally let you go "overdrawn" by a small amount, so actually you may not have needed to top up for the last journey. I think that you would simply have had the negative amount deducted from the deposit when you got the card refunded. That's one of the main reasons why there is a deposit on the cards.

That's good to know. We're buying Oyster cards for our 2 days in London next May before our cruise. I've been there many times but for only 2-3 days at a time so never bought an Oyster card (had I known the fare would have been cheaper from Heathrow and back, I would have bought one). So many people do not know you can take the Tube to/from Heathrow on the Piccadilly Line for about 6 pounds. Sorry, can't remember how to make the 'pound' symbol on my keyboard.

If you have a contactless credit card you can use this instead of an oyster card.

You just go to the same site as oyster but you set up contactless instead.

You then use your card the same as the oyster card, holding it over the scanner.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

You don’t need an account or to register a card to use either Oyster or contactless.

And I can’t really think of a reason to do so for a short tourist visit.