Formal Nights on 15 day Panama Canal cruise? Bayou Cafe specialty restaurant?

Kingofcool1947

Greetings,

DW and I are booked on a 15 day Ocean to Ocean Panama Canal cruise. Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco, October 12, 2017 to October 27, 2017

How many Formal Nights, and what nights are they?

Is a guayabera shirt, khaki trousers and dress shoes, worn in lieu of a traditional suit/tux, acceptable wear for Formal Night dining in the MDR?

Also, what is your opinion of the Bayou Cafe specialty restaurant? Go or Pass? Your favorite or recommended selections on the menu?

Thank you.

There will be three formal nights. We did a Panama transit last September and 99% of the passengers wore good clobber on formal night. The women including me, wore long dresses or very classy cocktail dresses. The men were in tuxedos, dark suits or military dress uniforms. We were surprised as reading on here people say the Caribbean/Panama is more relaxed. That was definitely not the case on our Island Princess transit. Formal nights were formal and every night saw smart casual in the MDR and Horizon Court.

Greetings,

DW and I are booked on a 15 day Ocean to Ocean Panama Canal cruise. Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco, October 12, 2017 to October 27, 2017

How many Formal Nights, and what nights are they?

Is a guayabera shirt, khaki trousers and dress shoes, worn in lieu of a traditional suit/tux, acceptable wear for Formal Night dining in the MDR?

Also, what is your opinion of the Bayou Cafe specialty restaurant? Go or Pass? Your favorite or recommended selections on the menu?

Thank you.

Hi there. I do hope you enjoy your Panama cruise. It really is fascinating going through the canal. As regards formal attire the meaning is For men: Tuxedos or dark suits For Ladies: Either long dress or short cocktail dress. Hope this helps. I love seeing everyone dressed up on formal nights. The ship looks fantastic.

I've taken similar cruises 5-6 times and the dress on longer cruises is always more traditionally formal. I rarely see gentlemen without at least a dark suit.

Loved the Bayou on my 19-day Panama Canal cruise last November. One of the best filet mignons I've ever had. I'd much rather go to the Bayou than Sabatini's but that's a personal choice. I also enjoyed the Crab Shack one night.

Hello. Thanks to all for the feedback regarding three Formal Nights on 15 day Panama Canal cruise. And dining at the Bayou Cafe.

Here is some information for those who are unfamiliar with Guayabera shirts. It is considered formal wear in the Caribbean, Mexico, Panama, and surrounding countries.

So, my original question is: can I wear a guayabera shirt with khaki or dress trousers, dress shoes, in lieu of a traditional sport coat/suit/tux, and be allowed admittance on Formal Nights to the MDR? I am not European, Canadian, or American, and have worn guayaberas to many Mexican, South American, and Central American weddings and to occasions where formal wear is worn. I would prefer not to bring a sport coat or suit on this Panama Canal cruise if I don't need to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guayabera

I vote yes on the Bayou Cafe. We ate there 3 times on our Panama Canal trip last year. The food is great; as was the service. The food was very flavorful and the steak always cooked just right. The first night my husband and I both added a lobster tail (8 ounces) for $5 dollars and we were overstuffed by the time dinner was over. After that we ordered one to split. My husband is more adventurist and tried some of the Cajun offerings - they were all great. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hello. Thanks to all for the feedback regarding three Formal Nights on 15 day Panama Canal cruise. And dining at the Bayou Cafe.

Here is some information for those who are unfamiliar with Guayabera shirts. It is considered formal wear in the Caribbean, Mexico, Panama, and surrounding countries.

So, my original question is: can I wear a guayabera shirt with khaki or dress trousers, dress shoes, in lieu of a traditional sport coat/suit/tux, and be allowed admittance on Formal Nights to the MDR? I am not European, Canadian, or American, and have worn guayaberas to many Mexican, South American, and Central American weddings and to occasions where formal wear is worn. I would prefer not to bring a sport coat or suit on this Panama Canal cruise if I don't need to.

There will be some folks on CC that will say you can wear whatever you like. However, if you do, you will not be in keeping with the Princess dress code and may not be admitted to the MDR on formal night.

I am sure we will now hear from those who like to pick and choose which rules they follow.

Edited by Colorado Coasty
wrong word

I have just looked on the website (thank you for adding that as I didn't know what you meant) I personally would have said no to formal nights for that shirt and certainly not Khaki trousers. Formal is black trousers. Hope this helps.

You got an answer, you just don't like, you are not in the Caribbean, Mexico, Panama...you are on a cruise ship that has a traditional dress code. get it. If you want to dress like you are in these places go there.. Always amazes that folks ask and then ask again when they don't get the answer they want.

You got an answer, you just don't like, you are not in the Caribbean, Mexico, Panama...you are on a cruise ship that has a traditional dress code. get it. If you want to dress like you are in these places go there.. Always amazes that folks ask and then ask again when they don't get the answer they want.

Huh? :confused:

You have an interesting comment regarding formal wear for Formal Nights. Are you European, American, Canadian heritage?

DW and I, will be our first time taking a Panama Canal cruise. So, are you saying, a Panama Canal cruise does not visit Panama or it's surrounding counties?

And, in your opinion, would you say wearing a guayabera shirt is not appropriate wear for Formal Night dining in the MDR? I could, as I have on past cruises, take a suit and tie to wear on Formal Nights if you deem that more appropriate. Do you?

Thanks for your insight.

So, my original question is: can I wear a guayabera shirt with khaki or dress trousers, dress shoes, in lieu of a traditional sport coat/suit/tux, and be allowed admittance on Formal Nights to the MDR? I

I haven't been wearing a jacket on Princess in many years and recently switched from a long sleeve dress shirt to a short sleeve guayabera with no problems whatsoever. (8 cruises)

There will be some folks on CC that will say you can wear whatever you like. However, if you do, you will not be in keeping with the Princess dress code and may not be admitted to the MDR on formal night.

I don't think anyone is saying to wear whatever you like but it is in keeping with Princess's dress code and guys will be admitted in the DR following their published dress code without any problem.

If you took the time to read what Princess publishes on their web site you'll find that a shirt, tie and slacks are suggested as a minimum for formal nights, although people rarely wear a tie any longer without a suit to go with it.

Direct from the Princess web site, 2 minutes ago:

For evening dining, keep with what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home: skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies, pants and open-neck shirts for men. Cruises five days or longer include at least one formal dining night: evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men.

Direct from the Princess web site, 2 minutes ago:

For evening dining, keep with what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home: skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies, pants and open-neck shirts for men. Cruises five days or longer include at least one formal dining night: evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men.

That's very true, but what's great about Princess is they leave it up to the individual to decide for themselves just how formal they want to make it.

And it also says "On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop.

In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more

formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes

(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring

an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

Huh? :confused:

You have an interesting comment regarding formal wear for Formal Nights. Are you European, American, Canadian heritage?

DW and I, will be our first time taking a Panama Canal cruise. So, are you saying, a Panama Canal cruise does not visit Panama or it's surrounding counties?

And, in your opinion, would you say wearing a guayabera shirt is not appropriate wear for Formal Night dining in the MDR? I could, as I have on past cruises, take a suit and tie to wear on Formal Nights if you deem that more appropriate. Do you?

Thanks for your insight.

Not sure why you keep asking the same question since you are obviously planning on wearing the shirt. Personally I will be wearing my tux but they probably won't kick you out of the dining room unless you are wearing shorts. As others have said, on longer cruises most folks dress up more. Each cruise is different, but you will be dressier than about 20% of the men onboard. Collared tropical shirts are very common on non-formal nights (and thats what I wear).

Edited by LeeW
more

Not sure why you keep asking the same question since you are obviously planning on wearing the shirt. Personally I will be wearing my tux but they probably won't kick you out of the dining room unless you are wearing shorts. As others have said, on longer cruises most folks dress up more. Each cruise is different, but you will be dressier than about 20% of the men onboard. Collared tropical shirts are very common on non-formal nights (and thats what I wear).

Actually, you are dead, and wrong, in your assumption. Obviously, to most (reading my original post), I did not plan to wear less than a suit and tie for Formal Night dining in the MDR, as is the norm. I simply was told guayabera shirts are considered formal wear in many parts of the world, including the port of calls on this 15 day Panama Canal cruise. I'm sure it would be more comfortable to wear a Guayabera shirt at dinner than being choked in a neck tie or bow tie during dinner? Do you think?

So, I'll pass on wearing a Guayabera shirt on Formal Night, since for many people like you, deem it inappropriate dress for Formal Night dining in the MDR. :D

I will play it safe, and wear a suit and tie for Formal Night dining in the MDR, as I usually have on past cruises.

And, for three formal nights, I don't wan't to look like a overstuffed penguin in tux, so a suit and tie it is.:D

Thank you for your positive input.

And, God willing, grant you good health, and "may you always cruise in interesting times." ;)

Edited by Kingofcool1947