Escape! Feb 10-17 Trip Report & Review

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:47 AM.
30 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Totally agree re: the smoke from the casino permeating....disgusting. We all hated it and avoided the 7th floor like the plague when we were on board. And I smoked for 34 years, and do not normally mind the smell (even like it sometimes &#128512 but this smoke is like a concentrated ashtray smell. You know that smell when someone has smoked outside in the cold, and comes inside. Barf. I have head that the new ship, The Bliss, will not have this problem. Fingers crossed.
Michigan
257 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by oncruisecontrol
Definitely give Food Republic another try if you ever go on Escape again. We absolutely loved it. We were on Escape in September 2017. I was not a fan of their cocktails, so I ordered wine by the glass instead. But the food.....it was innovative, flavorful, nicely presented......we just loved it. We went there several times. It seems, though, that maybe the menu has changed since I was on board. Nevertheless, I urge you not to write off Food Republic just yet. Give it another go.
Loving your review by the way. You have a great, witty writing style.
We will give it another try if we are on the Escape again (or the Bliss - I think I read that it will be on the Bliss?)!
Michigan
257 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by Diamond lover
Totally agree re: the smoke from the casino permeating....disgusting. We all hated it and avoided the 7th floor like the plague when we were on board. And I smoked for 34 years, and do not normally mind the smell (even like it sometimes ) but this smoke is like a concentrated ashtray smell. You know that smell when someone has smoked outside in the cold, and comes inside. Barf. I have head that the new ship, The Bliss, will not have this problem. Fingers crossed.
Maybe we didn't have many smokers on our sailing??? I'm pretty sensitive to smoke and I could smell stale smoke when we walked directly through the casino to get to the other end of the ship. It was noticeable, but not overwhelming. We did consciously take other routes after that to avoid it. I didn't notice any smoke when in H2O on the port day when we were laying out on the same side of the ship as the bar. I also didn't notice any smoke - ever - on the waterfront on deck 8... which we were on daily. Clubs and pools weren't our thing, so it is possible that is where it was concentrated.
Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca.
813 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Great review! We were on Escape over Christmas week, loved it. Going on Bliss for Panama Canal Cruise in May. They have a glass enclosed smoking area in Casino, hope it helps. We live in casino; skyline bar, spa, wine cellar and Haven areas. Loved the food, shows, supper club and mojitos and other drinks! Thanks for reliving our cruise through yours!


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next: NCL ESCAPE 12/23/17
NCL BLISS Panama Canal 5/10/18

NCL SUN South America 11/19/16
NCL GETAWAY Western Caribbean 11/22/15
NCL SUN Alaska and cruise tour + 4 days DIY 5/25/15
NCL STAR 5 day Cabo overnighter 3/17/15
NCL JEWEL Western Carribean 12/22/13
NCL EPIC Eastern Carribean 1/28/12
NCL JADE Mediteranean 5/30/10
RCCL Adventure of the Seas South Carrib 9/27/09
RCCL Serenade of the Seas Alaska 8/30/08
NCL Star Mexican Riviera 12/27/05
Celebrity Mercury Mexican Riviera 12/04
RCCL Sun? Baja Calif. 2003


[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][IMG]https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?
Smithtown, NY
2,739 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Thanks for this fantastic review! I have the Escape booked for 2/3/19 and was going back and forth whether or not to keep it. You convinced me to keep it! 2 weeks on the Escape out of NYC. I'm getting excited and it's still 11 months away!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards,
JoAnn (ncklhaus)

Contact me: JoAnn dot Nickl at Yahoo dot com



Past cruises:
Norwegian Dawn 9-25-05
Norwegian Jewel 10-15-11
Norwegian Jewel 2-1-13
Norwegian Breakaway 10-5-14
Norwegian Breakaway 1-3-16
Norwegian Breakaway 1-2 17
Norwegian Breakaway 12-15-17


Link to my 13 day Breakaway Southern Caribbean in the Haven Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2446531

Link to my 14 day Breakaway Southern Caribbean in the Haven Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2302412

Link to my 7 day Breakaway Florida, Bahamas, and GSC Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2122298
Michigan
257 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by ncklhaus
Thanks for this fantastic review! I have the Escape booked for 2/3/19 and was going back and forth whether or not to keep it. You convinced me to keep it! 2 weeks on the Escape out of NYC. I'm getting excited and it's still 11 months away!
Two weeks! Jealous. Have a great time - you'll love it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Mary Beth
Norwegian Escape 2018 Trip Report - Falmouth, Jamaica | George Town, Grand Cayman | Great Stirrup Cay | Nassau, Bahamas
Norwegian Getaway 2018 Trip Report - Roatan, Honduras | Harvest Caye, Belize | Costa Maya, Mexico | Cozumel, Mexico
White Plains, NY
2,689 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Really enjoyed this review...thank you for all the details and photos! Sailing this August, so excited!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legend 9/06(The Honeymoon Cruise that started it all)
Carnival Victory 9/07
Jewel of the Seas 2/08
Carnival Imagination 12/08
Carnival Fascination 2/09
Carnival Triumph 6/09
Carnival Valor 9/09
Carnival Imagination 1/10
Carnival Freedom 3/10
Carnival Glory 7/11 (Our Son's First!!!)
Carnival Miracle 9/11 (PR,ST T,GT)
Carnival Miracle 10/12 (GT,HMC,Nassau)
Carnival Splendor 10/13 (PR, ST T,GT)
Carnival Splendor 10/14 (GT,HMC, Nassau)
Norwegian Escape 8/18 (Bermuda)
9 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Your review was fantastic and I literally LOL'd reading the part about the waiter bringing the cake to your room. Ha ha ha!

I will say I'm a little concerned with what the others are saying about all the smoking on board. I'm not a huge fan of the smell of cigarettes and really don't want something like that to put a damper on our vacay next month.
Michigan
257 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by rattmobbins
Your review was fantastic and I literally LOL'd reading the part about the waiter bringing the cake to your room. Ha ha ha!

I will say I'm a little concerned with what the others are saying about all the smoking on board. I'm not a huge fan of the smell of cigarettes and really don't want something like that to put a damper on our vacay next month.
I was a bit apprehensive from all the reviews also... but, it certainly wasn't anything that even came close to putting a damper on our cruise. We smelled it when we made the mistake of walking all the way through the casino on deck 7. (If you like to be in the casino it will probably bother you.) From then on - we just walked through on deck 6 or deck 8. One other time we stopped at the Tobacco Road bar for drinks and we started walking towards a seating area near that little cigar/smoking room - and we could smell it then. We backtracked a few steps and sat on a couch more towards the edge of the bar - which was just fine. I didn't smell it at all at H2O or at all on the waterfront on deck 8. No one smoked on their balcony that we could SMELL - though there was some ash that mysteriously landed on our balcony one morning. That's it. I was surprised how much of a non-issue it was being that I am sensitive to it and my husband's nose is crazy sensitive. All that being said - maybe it was just the mix of passengers our week. Hope your week is the same!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Mary Beth
Norwegian Escape 2018 Trip Report - Falmouth, Jamaica | George Town, Grand Cayman | Great Stirrup Cay | Nassau, Bahamas
Norwegian Getaway 2018 Trip Report - Roatan, Honduras | Harvest Caye, Belize | Costa Maya, Mexico | Cozumel, Mexico
Florida
619 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by MaryBethV
I was a bit apprehensive from all the reviews also... but, it certainly wasn't anything that even came close to putting a damper on our cruise. We smelled it when we made the mistake of walking all the way through the casino on deck 7. (If you like to be in the casino it will probably bother you.) From then on - we just walked through on deck 6 or deck 8. One other time we stopped at the Tobacco Road bar for drinks and we started walking towards a seating area near that little cigar/smoking room - and we could smell it then. We backtracked a few steps and sat on a couch more towards the edge of the bar - which was just fine. I didn't smell it at all at H2O or at all on the waterfront on deck 8. No one smoked on their balcony that we could SMELL - though there was some ash that mysteriously landed on our balcony one morning. That's it. I was surprised how much of a non-issue it was being that I am sensitive to it and my husband's nose is crazy sensitive. All that being said - maybe it was just the mix of passengers our week. Hope your week is the same!
I was on the same week and hug out mostly in H20 and it was smokey. My rescue inhaler got a workout and my Dr put me on steroids when I came back. So even on the same week there's varying opinions on if it was a lot or not!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/23/2019 - Norwegian - Bliss
12/9/2018 - Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas
2/10/2018 - Norwegian - Escape
11/26/2017 - Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas
9/1/2017 Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas
7/8/2017 - Bahamas Paradise - MV Grand Celebration
9/30/2016 - Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas
2/28/2016 - Norwegian - Getaway
8/21/2015 - Royal Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas
9/10/2010 - Royal Caribbean - Monarch of the Seas
Michigan
257 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by smplybcause
I was on the same week and hug out mostly in H20 and it was smokey. My rescue inhaler got a workout and my Dr put me on steroids when I came back. So even on the same week there's varying opinions on if it was a lot or not!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Exactly! We were only in H2O one day. Maybe I have "don't smoke by me" stamped on my forehead or something.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Mary Beth
Norwegian Escape 2018 Trip Report - Falmouth, Jamaica | George Town, Grand Cayman | Great Stirrup Cay | Nassau, Bahamas
Norwegian Getaway 2018 Trip Report - Roatan, Honduras | Harvest Caye, Belize | Costa Maya, Mexico | Cozumel, Mexico
13,301 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Mary Beth,
Really loved your review and pictures. Thanks for posting. Do you have any more pictures or details of the Spa?
We are sailing the 14 night in January from NY and are in a spa balcony cabin.
Iowa
229 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Great review and photos! Thanks for doing it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol L.

Carnival: Ecstasy, Celebration, Sensation, Imagination, Fascination, Paradise, Glory, Legend. RCI Sovereign of the Seas, Norwegian Sea, Star Princess, Caribbean Princess
Rochester, NY
44 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by MaryBethV
The spa balcony room came with a few upgraded amenities. There were two robes (I made use of mine all week, DH didn’t use his) and two pairs of slippers (which we didn’t see hiding in the corner of the closet under the robes until we were re-packing on the last day). In the bathroom there are small bottles of shampoo (OK), conditioner (adequate, but glad I brought a little of my own from home), and lotion (didn’t use) as well as a round bar of soap (didn’t use).



In addition to these were the standard amenities in the bathroom. The hand soap in a wall dispenser was nice (and why we never used the bar of soap). There were also two dispensers in the shower - one with a combined shampoo/conditioner (would NOT work for my hair - I’d look like a Chia Pet all week with the humidity!) and body wash (does not lather/suds). For our next cruise in a non-spa cabin I will be bringing my own shampoo, conditioner, and maybe even body wash. DH doesn’t really care and will use whatever is there.

Anybody want to guess what wasn’t in our room?

That’s right - the scooter. UGH. A trip down to the Guest Services desk to inquire about it & they thankfully had it in a room right behind guest services and brought it out for us. SO, it ended up not being at either a kiosk or in our room. I’m pretty sure a scooter is a fairly common thing, but it seemed like a rare occurance to all the staff we encountered. Or maybe they think all cruisers know what they are doing and have dealt with this before… which obviously was not us. Ha!

Here it is in our room. We found that if we took the front basket off and pulled it straight in right up next to the counter/desk, then we could get the bathroom door to open fully. We could also easily get around it and out the main door into the hallway when we weren’t using it.



Our room steward… some of our luggage arrived within an hour or so and our room steward, Bristol, briefly introduced himself. He was very nice and was obviously incredibly busy. The first day I left a little note asking if we could possibly have some ice, an extra pillow, and an extra bath towel. That night we had ice (and 2x per day every day after), two extra pillows and two extra bath towels (which we also had all week). Our room was always neat and clean. Cute towel animals made us smile when we came back each evening as well. Bristol was always friendly when we saw him in the hallway and courteously moved his cart for us to get the scooter by on a couple of occasions. He ended up being one of our “cruise hero’s” (I couldn’t pick just one person, so I filled out a few of the cards) and we greatly appreciated how hard he worked to make our stay enjoyable.
Hi, was this a Handicap accessible cabin or just a regular balcony. I ask because we are going on the NCL Bliss in No. and I will be renting a scooter for the 2 weeks. Right now I'm not mobile at all but hope to be somewhat mobile by Nov. Is there room in a regular balcony to easily get around and keep the scooter.
Thanks, Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Conquest: 8/1/04
Carnival Legend 03/21/06
Voyager Of Seas: 03/21/05
Carnival Pride: 04/13/08
Carnival Miracle: 12/06/09
Sapphire Princess: 03/27/09
Carnival Conquest: 11/09/14
Carnival Conquest: 03/21/15
Carnival Magic: 10/04/15
Carnival Conquest: 03/27/16
NCL Getaway 04/29/2018
Michigan
257 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by bobbaluha
Hi, was this a Handicap accessible cabin or just a regular balcony. I ask because we are going on the NCL Bliss in No. and I will be renting a scooter for the 2 weeks. Right now I'm not mobile at all but hope to be somewhat mobile by Nov. Is there room in a regular balcony to easily get around and keep the scooter.
Thanks, Bob
This was a regular spa balcony cabin (not handicap accessible) - so I am assuming it is not any larger than a regular balcony cabin. The way we parked the scooter we were able to get around quite easily - though getting into the bathroom required a side-step. For us, it was better than putting the scooter in the middle of the room in front of the couch. Hope that helps!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Mary Beth
Norwegian Escape 2018 Trip Report - Falmouth, Jamaica | George Town, Grand Cayman | Great Stirrup Cay | Nassau, Bahamas
Norwegian Getaway 2018 Trip Report - Roatan, Honduras | Harvest Caye, Belize | Costa Maya, Mexico | Cozumel, Mexico
Michigan
257 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by Arzeena
Mary Beth,
Really loved your review and pictures. Thanks for posting. Do you have any more pictures or details of the Spa?
We are sailing the 14 night in January from NY and are in a spa balcony cabin.
I posted pretty much every photo I took in the spa... other than an attempt at photographing the snow room which didn't work. It is a great place - you'll love it. I recommend looking up "Norwegian Escape Spa" on YouTube for some video tours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Mary Beth
Norwegian Escape 2018 Trip Report - Falmouth, Jamaica | George Town, Grand Cayman | Great Stirrup Cay | Nassau, Bahamas
Norwegian Getaway 2018 Trip Report - Roatan, Honduras | Harvest Caye, Belize | Costa Maya, Mexico | Cozumel, Mexico
troy, ny
1,232 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by barb65
Really enjoyed your review! Love your style of writing! We are on the Escape in June to Bermuda and can't wait. We did the western Caribbean last May on the Escape and so far it's my favorite NCL ship.
Are you on her on the 10th?
troy, ny
1,232 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
What a refreshing fun review. Thanks for taking us along. When I sail on her in June I will feel like maybe I’ve been there before!

I can’t wait for the review of your next NCL cruise.

Bonni