Why is Carnivall moving away from HMC?

nydney1

Totally untrue.

Here are the facts for January 2018 - March 2019 :

3 Day Half Moon = 0

4 Day Half Moon = 22 (Sensation / Victory / Conquest) from Miami or Ft Lauderdale

5-7 Day Half Moon = 164 (Pride / Glory / Ecstasy / Elation / Conquest / Sunshine / Sensation)

I'm not sure where you are getting your (mis)information from but you need to find a reliable, advanced Search Engine and check your facts before posting such nonsense.

I apologize if I offended you. I'm looking at the new cruise brochure valid through 2018 and don't see all the sailings you are talking about.

I admit I have not looked at every single sailing, but it appears to me there is a much greater push from Amber Cove and a decline in trips to HMC.

What bums me out is that none of the Dream class ships port there. I guess the extra ~700 passengers is just too much of a logistical issue. Kind of sucks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

None of the newer ships can go there (dream, magic, breeze, vista, horizon, etc). this might be a big problem for carnival in the future if they are going to be building bigger ships

I think the small ships will continue to go there for a long time. I think they are mixing in Princess Cays to gauge interest. I can't imagine that any of those stops are as good as HMC. I'm not a huge fan of "beach days," but renting the cabana on the far end away from the crowd is the most enjoyable stop i've ever had on a Carnival Cruise.

I think the small ships will continue to go there for a long time. I think they are mixing in Princess Cays to gauge interest. I can't imagine that any of those stops are as good as HMC. I'm not a huge fan of "beach days," but renting the cabana on the far end away from the crowd is the most enjoyable stop i've ever had on a Carnival Cruise.

You are correct, for sake of discussion, while the 4 newest ships cannot go, 75% of the fleet for at least the next 5 years can go, and it will diminish slowly after that (unless they build something smaller, which is NOT in the picture right now). You can safely assume that their most popular port of call will remain so.....

You are correct, for sake of discussion, while the 4 newest ships cannot go, 75% of the fleet for at least the next 5 years can go, and it will diminish slowly after that (unless they build something smaller, which is NOT in the picture right now). You can safely assume that their most popular port of call will remain so.....

Since they tender in why cant the larger ships park further away from the shore?

That makes sense. I love the HMC, Grand Turk, St Thomas,San Juan schedule and that is pretty tough to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since they tender in why cant the larger ships park further away from the shore?

i think the problem itself is the passenger capacity and not where the ship drops the anchor. If carnival has bigger tender that can hold more people, it might be possible for the big ships. There is only so much you can do with the current tender boats

None of the newer ships can go there (dream, magic, breeze, vista, horizon, etc). this might be a big problem for carnival in the future if they are going to be building bigger ships

Why can't they go there?

You do know that Carnival owns HAL right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are both owned by Carnival Corp., but they are in separate subsidiaries and operate independently of one another. You can be sure that Carnival is required to compensate Holland America for use of HMC. It's possible and even likely that their agreement has changed.

i think the problem itself is the passenger capacity and not where the ship drops the anchor. If carnival has bigger tender that can hold more people, it might be possible for the big ships. There is only so much you can do with the current tender boats

Yes, the issue is tender capacity. The bigger ships hold too many people to get off and back on again. It's not a matter of bigger ships' draft; the normal anchorage off the beach sees the bottom drop off to 400 feet within a ship's length or so. When we ported there on Victory, the ship swung a lot at the anchor, and when I asked the captain during the BtF Tour, he said the forward anchor was in 40ft of water...but the aft anchor was in 400 ft. (!)

It'd be a darned shame to lose HMC as a frequent port, but I'm only 2-for-5 in making scheduled visits there. On both successful visits I'd rented a cabana, but on the missed visits I'd rented a cabana, the Private Oasis and a 2-story villa (in order). Those missed visits really hurt me...and lost some money for Carnival, too.

While we enjoyed our recent visit to Amber Cove, the lack of a beach close to the port really hurts.

I'm curious about Princess Cay as an alternate now; not sure what's there. (It's not a private island, but part of the larger island of Eleuthera.)

While I have never seen it in writing, I believe it is a capacity thing...logistics of tendering in and out and the narrow channel which can handle one at a time.

That's right. Passenger capacity on the Island is just over 4000. The Dream Class ships are about 4725 max and the Vista is 4977 max.

Sometimes Holland America will schedule 2 smaller ships there at the same time and when that happens, the smaller ship will will add it's lifeboats as tenders and the larger ship gets the 2 Annie Bonny and Henry Hudson tenders. Even the Glass Bottom boat helps out on the early runs,

That's right. Passenger capacity on the Island is just over 4000. The Dream Class ships are about 4725 max and the Vista is 4977 max.

Sometimes Holland America will schedule 2 smaller ships there at the same time and when that happens, the smaller ship will will add it's lifeboats as tenders and the larger ship gets the 2 Annie Bonny and Henry Hudson tenders. Even the Glass Bottom boat helps out on the early runs,

Thanks, I didn't know there was a capacity for the island.

We've been to HMC on the Eurodam and shared the island with the Westerdam which at the time were HAL's larger ships. The total passenger load between the two ships was about 4000 pax. We used the Eurodam's ship tenders while the Westerdam used the larger island tenders since they were the ship providing the staffing and provisions that day. Although it was crowded there was plenty of food,drinks, and room for everyone. There was no delay getting to or from the island, although security triple checked our cruise cards to make sure that we got on the correct tender to return to our ship.

Part of my disappointment with HMC in regards to ships, is that by next spring you will have 1 ship that is newer than 15 years old, that calls there/ (2 if you count the Sunshine as "newer" than its original build date) And that one ship is the Liberty, which will be 13 years old. After being on the Conquest last week and finding it, eh. We decided we wanted to do Dream class ships, but most of their itineraries are the same old, same old, because 2 of the 3 are based in the Gulf which limits their ability to travel further. We have no desire to try the Vista, which will soon be in the Gulf area anyways. So for next spring break we decided to do the Glory now that it will have the new water slides. Well, then our school district decided to jack with the spring break week and pushed it out another week. So the Glory itinerary for the new week is that same old western Caribbean one that I am trying to avoid. We love Carnival and have sailed exclusively sailed them as long as I have been cruising (13 years), but with the combination of all the factors I just laid out, we decided to try something different for next spring. We booked on the new MSC Seaside for next year. I understand that it's a high capacity ship, but it looks beautiful, very spacious, and well laid out, so I expect traffic to flow nicely. It does have a western itin the week we're going, but I figure if I am going to have to do that itin, I mind as well do it on a new, huge ship, with a package of drinks included, all for a bit less than what we'd pay on Carnival. We'll see how we like it.

Part of my disappointment with HMC in regards to ships, is that by next spring you will have 1 ship that is newer than 15 years old, that calls there/ (2 if you count the Sunshine as "newer" than its original build date) And that one ship is the Liberty, which will be 13 years old. After being on the Conquest last week and finding it, eh. We decided we wanted to do Dream class ships, but most of their itineraries are the same old, same old, because 2 of the 3 are based in the Gulf which limits their ability to travel further. We have no desire to try the Vista, which will soon be in the Gulf area anyways. So for next spring break we decided to do the Glory now that it will have the new water slides. Well, then our school district decided to jack with the spring break week and pushed it out another week. So the Glory itinerary for the new week is that same old western Caribbean one that I am trying to avoid. We love Carnival and have sailed exclusively sailed them as long as I have been cruising (13 years), but with the combination of all the factors I just laid out, we decided to try something different for next spring. We booked on the new MSC Seaside for next year. I understand that it's a high capacity ship, but it looks beautiful, very spacious, and well laid out, so I expect traffic to flow nicely. It does have a western itin the week we're going, but I figure if I am going to have to do that itin, I mind as well do it on a new, huge ship, with a package of drinks included, all for a bit less than what we'd pay on Carnival. We'll see how we like it.

I am totally confused what MSC has the do with HMC (other than they are both 3 letters.....)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure if they have a capacity number but it only has so many lounges and seats to seat people for lunch.

Shame that more ships dont go there

Wonder how many days it is planned not to be used during a year.....

Wonder how many days it is planned not to be used during a year.....Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not an exact answer to your question, but there are 239 ship visits to HMC from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018.

Some of those days may have 2 HAL ships at the same time.

So with 365 days in a year, minus 239 visits the answer is somewhere around 126 days.

Not an exact answer to your question, but there are 239 ship visits to HMC from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018.

Some of those days may have 2 HAL ships at the same time.

So with 365 days in a year, minus 239 visits the answer is somewhere around 126 days.

Close enough thanks