Independence Just Out of Refurb

There was no problem getting a lounger in either the Solarium or near the main pools because during most of the voyage it was cooler than normal. Because the voyage was port intensive many passengers left the ship at most stops so if you decided to stay onboard you had the ship to yourself. This sailing had the least amount of chair hogs in my more than thirty five cruise ship sailings since I got hooked way back in May 1983.

Thanks much for both posts Corby!

So, Independence just came out of a massive refurbishment in May and I've looked at the first few weeks of reviews. Almost everyone complains about the poor quality of the food and overcrowding in the Windjammer and MDR (because 400 more rooms were added with no additional space in those dining venues). I guess I can (maybe) understand some growing pains, although I would think the crew would already be experienced. Why would the food quality go down after a refurb? Was that part of the plan to cut costs? Does anyone have newer info? Sailing in August and not happy. Thanks

That is definitely NOT what my review said. Just FYI.

ETA: (link)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641945

We were on the same cruise as Poncho1973 and agree with a lot of what he said but we did find the ship crowded. I don't know if it was the new cabins just adding people or them taking away some public space or a combination of both. Our trip was port intensive, 5 stops in 8 nights so we were off the ship a lot but when we were on board, it felt crowded, there were times it was hard to find a place to sit for lunch. We did breakfast and dinner in the MDR and never had a problem. We had a standing 6:45pm dinner reservation and we never waited but when we were coming out around 8:30pm there were lines of people waiting. We found the food in the Windjammer and in the MDR quite good and the service was beyond great. We were seated in Tyrone's section and he always stopped by to say hello and see how things were. We were very impressed with the MDR all around. One thing that Royal did to relieve some of the crowding in the WJ during breakfast was open up a section of the MDR on deck 3 with a buffet set up there too. We opted for table service on deck 5 each morning and it was efficient and again good food.

This was our first cruise on Royal in 5 years after a very bad experience on the Allure. Royal had the itinerary we really wanted so we tried them again and they delivered a great trip. Was it perfect? No, nothing is ever perfect but it was a great trip for us.

If anyone is interested in pictures there is a link to my photo book in Poncho's review and in a review I wrote a few days ago. Poncho's review is great, mine is so, so. I never was a writer person....

Yes, because that's definitely a feasible option :rolleyes:

MSC have done it apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2919871/How-stretch-cruise-ship-Amazing-images-vessel-extended-cutting-HALF-adding-extra-sections.html

Perhaps a similar procedure could be have been done to the Indy if feasible but they chose not to go that way instead they did the basic refit.

MSC have done it apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2919871/How-stretch-cruise-ship-Amazing-images-vessel-extended-cutting-HALF-adding-extra-sections.html

Perhaps a similar procedure could be have been done to the Indy if feasible but they chose not to go that way instead they did the basic refit.

Last time Royal added a section to a ship was 2005 with Enchantment. I remember reading that after that experience they decided it was not cost effective anymore.

Last time Royal added a section to a ship was 2005 with Enchantment. I remember reading that after that experience they decided it was not cost effective anymore.

Fair enough but I think it is only a matter of 5 or 7 years before the uk gets a quantum or oasis class ship. The relocation of Oasis is probably to see if those ships can cut it in western europe and push NCL out of western europe once and for all.

Fair enough but I think it is only a matter of 5 or 7 years before the uk gets a quantum or oasis class ship. The relocation of Oasis is probably to see if those ships can cut it in western europe and push NCL out of western europe once and for all.

Port bookings indicate Anthem will most likely sail from Southampton during summer 2020.

An oasis class wouldn’t be a good match for ex UK cruising with all that open space. Quantum class is perfect as Anthem was when she started her maiden season ex Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A friend has just posted a video of the rows and rows of empty deck chairs on the pool deck when they sailed from Gibraltar this evening.... just saying. He is having no issues with 'overcrowding'...not even in Playmakers with the England game on last night lol

Does public square foot mean non cabin space? I’d like to measure empty public space, hard to do maybe but exclude dodgems and trampolines and the like. That’s why I feel more crowded on larger ships I think, less empty deck per person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. I remember 15-30 years ago all the travel books/mags would show list of sq ft per passenger, only public not including cabins. At the time older ships like Sovereign/Majesty class had less, Voyager most and Vision class was in the middle....

At the time older ships like Sovereign/Majesty class had less, Voyager most and Vision class was in the middle....

According to cruisedeckplans space ratios (GT/max pass) are:

Oasis class: 36

Quantum class: 35

Spectrum: 32

Freedom class: 34

Voyager class: 35

Radiance class: 35

Vision: 32

Grandeur: 31

Majesty: 26

Empress: 25

According to cruisedeckplans space ratios (GT/max pass) are:

Oasis class: 36

Quantum class: 35

Spectrum: 32

Freedom class: 34

Voyager class: 35

Radiance class: 35

Vision: 32

Grandeur: 31

Majesty: 26

Empress: 25

Apparently these ratios exclude exterior space which would mean Central Park, boardwalk and the extensive pool area on Oasis class being excluded. Probably why I find Oasis class less busy than Freedom class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apparently these ratios exclude exterior space which would mean Central Park, boardwalk and the extensive pool area on Oasis class being excluded. Probably why I find Oasis class less busy than Freedom class.

Right, the GT measurement used in cruise ships only includes enclosed space.

Welcome to Cruise Critic where critical reviews out number positive ones by at least 10-1 - it says very little of what is actually like on the ship.

Agree, but I also feel people have the right to post their opinions and experiences whether it be positive are even negative.

The good thing about this site is the above is allowed, unlike some other sites where if someone dares to say something even remotely negative, they get flamed by the cheerleaders and the self anointed specific cruise line Police, and eventually, the post gets removed.

Someone said it here before: Both the positive and not so positive reviews are worth information to know.

Agree, but I also feel people have the right to post their opinions and experiences whether it be positive are even negative.

The good thing about this site is the above is allowed, unlike some other sites where if someone dares to say something even remotely negative, they get flamed by the cheerleaders and the self anointed specific cruise line Police, and eventually, the post gets removed.

Someone said it here before: Both the positive and not so positive reviews are worth information to know.

Great post, thanks