is the room service on carnival really that bad?

cruisenotbooze

have been reading a lot about the 'terrible' room service menu from carnival. that he portions are very small, cold, ect...

question is this: if its DELIVERED to you, is it really THAT bad? and how small are the portions. i could be satisfied with half a sandwich but my hubby might need to order two?

thank you guys in advance for your answers

OP, I think you are ASSUMING that people think its bad.

It is a cold menu, that is a fact .. its meant to be cold. Its continental breakfast for instance.

Just because someone else has a hot room service menu doesnt mean Carnival's is bad.

Dont jump to conclusions that its terrible because its a cold menu.

Room service is fine. Not always the fastest, but time of day and cabin location make a difference too. We always have room service coffee and breakfast in the morning and the coffee is hot and the food arrives on time. I think we had one morning where it came late and we had to rush to make an excursion. Not a big deal.

The menu is very limited but the portions are fine. You learn quickly to ask for condiments or order a milk with your coffee if you don't drink it black. ;)

No complaints here on the room service menu. :) To me the sandwiches are "normal" size and are filled with more than enough filling. (ok normal being the same size sliced bread as any loaf of white or wheat bread you buy at home.) The salads are a nice size not small at all. My husband has ordered 2 before but it was because he couldn't decide which one he wanted! Try the BLT it's always been good on every ship, my complaint would be not enough L & T and to much B!! :p

I have heard people complain that there are not "hot" foods on the room service menu but for us it's not a problem if we can't live w/o a hot breakfast or lunch one of us can go get something up on Lido and bring it back. ;)

Overall, I would say we had no problems with Room Service during 14 Carnival cruises. My wife is diabetic so it is important that she has her evening snacks. I think what bothers some cruisers is that they expect full scale meals delivered to the cabin which Carnival does not do. Some other lines do that so hence the complaints. They will even deliver you a plate of potatoe chips if that is what you want. They have it all listed in a book like menu and time wise they deliver every thing in a few minutes.

Love to order my family a couple of veggie platters and chocolate cake at midnight! It is now a tradition for us and satisfies the little ones and the grown-ups. The menu is limited, but I imagine you could find something for any taste, and the free factor doesn't hurt.

We ordered our favorite, the smoked salmon w/ bagels and cream cheese several times for breakfast via room service. Ordered that on debarkation morning rather than battling the crowds for breakfast. That, along with coffee, melon, grapefruit and yogurt was more than we needed.

If you order room service at lunch time on a sea day it might take up to 45-50 minutes for them to deliver, but we would just factor that in when we placed our order and did it early. It usually took just 30 minutes for delivery on a port day. We loved the hot pastrami sandwiches, Caesar salad, chicken wrap, and chocolate cake. Yum! But since the Splendor has the Indian buffet which we love, we usually went to the Lido. The salad bar was great, too.

I rate the quality of food and room service a solid 8 out of 10. It loses points only due to the somewhat limited selection. But the hot food was hot (okay, so the pastrami was warm not hot, but you know what I mean) and the cold food cold and it was tasty, plus how can you beat 24/7 availability? We were happy with it.:) Wish I could call in an order right now. ;)

My Girl loves the chicken fajita wraps. She eats them at least 1 every other day.

Jason

I ditto the fajita wraps...LOVE them. Had one for midnight snack every night on our cruise last week :eek:. My 7 year old DD ordered the ham and cheese everynight. I did't care for the cheesecake but the chocolate cake was fine and DD enjoyed the cookies. DH said the steak sandwiches were also good..yes we did room service every night for midnight snacks. Nothing like getting your midnight grub on and having desert with coffee after on your balcony listening to the waves go by hehe.

One time they forgot the place settings, no problem, I had saved a spoon from the last time and had cleaned it. Just used that.

They only give 3 packets of each kind of sugar to a carafe of coffee. I carry my own, 1lb. round box of sugar, I hate packets, and I also use it in my pre cruise hotel. Problem solved. You can also get packets from the Lido and bring back to your room.

But to me, no matter what happens, I enjoy Room Service. The price is right (except I tip the person who delivers it).

Maybe the choices aren't as good as other lines, but what they DO HAVE is very good, some of the best quality room service we have had on any of our 17 cruises. There are a few things on the menu that are intended to be hot, and usually arrive at least mildly warm....

grilled cheeeeeese-y

bermudacruise149.jpg

fajita wrap

bermudacruise148.jpg

and the reuben, my least favorite thing we tried

bermudacruise098.jpg

The room service choc cake was VERY GOOD

bermudacruise145.jpg

Archived