Carrying of Passports compulsory ?

SwanseaVillanReturns

The law requires passports. But having almost been the victim of pickpocketing earlier in Barcelona, we decided to leave the passports on the ship and just take our driving license. Worked out ok for us - luckily we were not stopped or asked for ID anywhere.

In the end, as fellow EEC state member, took my UK national driving licence.

Ultimately not called on as i behaved myself !!

I think for most of us the issue really isn't what we might do but rather being in the wrong place at the wrong time, either witness to or victim of someone else's action and needing to prove who we are.

I am thinking of using my passport card for my walking around ID. It is an official ID but wont leave me stranded like I would be if my book passport were lost or taken.

What do you think? Good enough compromise?

According to the U.S. State Dept. Passport cards are only good for re-entering the U.S. by land or sea from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Not valid for international air travel. Not sure how it would work for walking around ID in Europe.

According to the U.S. State Dept. Passport cards are only good for re-entering the U.S. by land or sea from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Not valid for international air travel. Not sure how it would work for walking around ID in Europe.

I’m not sure what the fuss is about. In 40 years of travel to Europe the only time we ever had to produce a passport was to cash travelers cheques back in the ancient past when they were still used.

Once at an internet cafe in Taormina the owner said he couldn’t , by law, let us use his computer without showing our passport. He settled for our cruise line card.

Carry a photocopy if you feel you must.

Not an official recognised ID in many countries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m not sure what the fuss is about. In 40 years of travel to Europe the only time we ever had to produce a passport was to cash travelers cheques back in the ancient past when they were still used.

Once at an internet cafe in Taormina the owner said he couldn’t , by law, let us use his computer without showing our passport. He settled for our cruise line card.

Carry a photocopy if you feel you must.

The world has changed a lot in 40 years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure if this is entirely relevant, but in May we were on a cruise that stopped at two ports in Portugal. We were on the Silver Muse, which is one line that collects passports for the duration of your cruise (Seabourn is another).

We disembarked the ship in Porto for an overnight - catching back up with the ship in Lisbon. I went to collect our passports. They weren't keen on giving them back to me. I explained that I had already filled out the form to temporarily disembark, and that we were required by Portuguese law to present our passports at our hotel that night, so I had to have them. More hand-wringing from the Purser's staff. It took calling two people to the desk before I got our passports into my hot little hand. I blew their minds again when I gave them back the next night.

All cruiselines keep passports for processing visas for some far off ports.We needed them in Venice last week.Regarding Hiltners flippant remark about IDP,god forbid he doesn't crash and kill someone over here,because he won't be insured and he will be banged up for a long time.Perhaps he might share a cell with the Costa captain,they can talk of their cruising experiences,lol.

All cruiselines keep passports for processing visas for some far off ports.We needed them in Venice last week.Regarding Hiltners flippant remark about IDP,god forbid he doesn't crash and kill someone over here,because he won't be insured and he will be banged up for a long time.Perhaps he might share a cell with the Costa captain,they can talk of their cruising experiences,lol.

The IDP is not even required in most European countries and has nothing to do with insurance. We absolutely agree that having adequate insurance is a "must."

As to the Passport issue in Italy, even our own embassy hedges on the issue of carrying the document. Personally I would rather explain to the Italian authorities that my Passport is locked up on a ship or hotel safe then explain how my Passport was lost or stolen. And let's not further confuse folks with the tale of Captain Schettino.

Hank

The IDP is not even required in most European countries and has nothing to do with insurance. We absolutely agree that having adequate insurance is a "must."

As to the Passport issue in Italy, even our own embassy hedges on the issue of carrying the document. Personally I would rather explain to the Italian authorities that my Passport is locked up on a ship or hotel safe then explain how my Passport was lost or stolen. And let's not further confuse folks with the tale of Captain Schettino.

Hank

You do in Italy.I'll send you a pannatoni with a file in it,if you get caught.

All cruiselines keep passports for processing visas for some far off ports.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying above, but as regards ports in the Mediterranean, not all ships keep your passport. I've done 10 Med cruises on 5 different lines and have probably run into at least 5-6 different ways of handling this:

-- One line let us keep our own passports throughout.

-- One line held our passports for the entire trip.

-- One line let us keep passports but required pax to turn them in for inspection at least once on the trip and then retrieve them again after.

-- One line kept passports but we had to retrieve them periodically if needed ashore (Venice, Turkey) and then turn them in again.

-- One line asked us to show up with our passports to go through screening onboard before going ashore (Israel).

You do in Italy.I'll send you a pannatoni with a file in it,if you get caught.

Yes, you are correct that the IDP is technically required (for those without an EU license) in Italy. Over the thirty of so years we have driven in Italy we sometimes had an IDP and other times did not. Ironically, the only time we were ever stopped by Police (a parking related issue) I simply presented my Pennsylvania Drivers License and the Officer was satisfied (we did not get a ticket). If he had asked for an IDP I probably would have used a lot of "hand action" to plead ignorance :). And although we have rented cars from numerous agencies in Italy (including Hertz, Europcar, Budget and Avis) none of those agencies ever asked for anything other then our regular drivers license and a credit card. In some countries such as Spain we have been asked for our Passport (they will accept a photocopy of the main page)...but in Italy they never bothered with such formalities :). After all, it is Italy!

Hank

With respect to the driving argument, I have rented cars in 9 or 10 European countries without any issues over the past 15 to 20 years. Have only gotten an IDP once, for my first rental in Italy, and was never asked to show it. Just does not seem worth it in a risk benefit analysis

Italy is full of laws that exist because they could be useful, but may not be enforced on a consistent basis. You could carry your passport or ID for years and never be asked to show it, or not have any problems if you’re asked, but not carrying it. But if the police need a good reason to hang onto you for a while, not carrying your passport will do nicely. Or you may run into someone who feels like enforcing the letter of the law that day, just because they can. It’s unpredictable.

Italy is full of laws that exist because they could be useful, but may not be enforced on a consistent basis.

But if the police need a good reason to hang onto you for a while, not carrying your passport will do nicely. Or you may run into someone who feels like enforcing the letter of the law that day, just because they can. It’s unpredictable.

Both of these statements could also describe New York, Chicago, Houston, Miami, Mexico, and lots of other places many of us travel to.

[/font][/color][/left]

Both of these statements could also describe New York, Chicago, Houston, Miami, Mexico, and lots of other places many of us travel to.

Very true! I didn’t want to encourage anyone to think that Italian police never enforce these laws, because they will if they feel the need. I have a friend who was told by the Guardia di Finanza to go fish his gelato receipt out of the bin, to prove he’d had one. But they are known for having no sense of humour whatsoever. When I do the washing, I’m always pulling tons of crumpled up receipts out of my pockets because the Guardia di Finanza frighten me and I hang on to all receipts faithfully!

Yes, but as with investments, past results are no guarantee of future performance. Things are changing and I wouldn't count on everything being the same.

LOL! Perhaps I am guilty of thinking somewhat like an Italian (which I am not) having spent a lot of time in that country :). But some things never change in Italy....and the Italians are always Italians which means "it is Italy!" I will admit to feeling more comfortable in Italy then in nearly any other country except my own. Ask an Italian if you should carry your Passport and they will likely shrug (accompanied by a lot of hand movement). I would rather deal with the Italian Police when I know my Passport is safely secured in a hotel safe or cruise ship cabin safe...then have to tell the Police that my Passport was stolen or lost. Because if that happens the Italian Police will likely just shrug their shoulders (with lots of hand action) and tell you to call the nearest Consulate :). We have seen very little change in Italy over the past thirty plus years except for their recent use of speed cameras! This latter is so darn un Italian....but I guess it does generate revenue.

By the way, this thread did get DW and I thinking about Italy so we are now planning another trip to that country next year :). It will likely be back to Tuscany (with a rental car) before they tell me I am too old to drive!

When it comes to travel we do not tell others what to do...but rather what we would do. It is just like the cruisers that will not leave a ship unless they are on a ship excursion. We quietly shake our head and go off to do our own thing :). But getting back to this Passport issue, we have never met or even heard of anyone getting in serious trouble for not carrying their Passport...and this is over a period of more than 30 years. But we have met (and heard of others) who have either lost their Passports or had them stolen...and it was never a good tale.

Hank