"After The Cruise" Roll Call Posts & Idea

JMsquared

Why do all the Roll Calls disappear after the cruises begin? It would seem logical that people would be able to gain valuable insight into their upcoming cruise by reading the previous Roll Call threads. Are these truly gone or is there a way to find an old Roll Call? Even if you can dig them up, there never seems to be further posts once the cruise begins or after it returns.

Here is an idea:

*Whoever is designated the Roll Call "Master" (usually the person that starts the Roll Call) should be required to post one last trip report within 1-3 days after the cruise ends. There they would be able to share the highlights, lowlights, and lessons learned -- along with insights gained from their cruise. It can be as short as a few sentences with more to follow, especially if they are still traveling. These people are on Cruisecritic every day prior to the cruise, and you'd figure it would be a piece of cake for them to post a follow up (whether short or in-depth) after the cruise is finished. That way, others from that same cruise can chime in and add more insight/help to future cruisers and those interested in hearing about their cruise.

Thoughts?

Hi Jememy, I just finished a cruise on the Jade, a TA, had a great time; I can still access the thread/roll call for that cruise. I add it to my favorites so I don't have to click on my avatar to find the posts for that cruise.

Here's the link to your previous cruise if it was Breakaway May 21. 2018:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2455911

BTW, most recent post appears to be yesterday.

Hope you're enjoying your cruise.

Cheers

Why do all the Roll Calls disappear after the cruises begin? It would seem logical that people would be able to gain valuable insight into their upcoming cruise by reading the previous Roll Call threads. Are these truly gone or is there a way to find an old Roll Call? Even if you can dig them up, there never seems to be further posts once the cruise begins or after it returns.

Here is an idea:

*Whoever is designated the Roll Call "Master" (usually the person that starts the Roll Call) should be required to post one last trip report within 1-3 days after the cruise ends. There they would be able to share the highlights, lowlights, and lessons learned -- along with insights gained from their cruise. It can be as short as a few sentences with more to follow, especially if they are still traveling. These people are on Cruisecritic every day prior to the cruise, and you'd figure it would be a piece of cake for them to post a follow up (whether short or in-depth) after the cruise is finished. That way, others from that same cruise can chime in and add more insight/help to future cruisers and those interested in hearing about their cruise.

Thoughts?

Those are called reviews and they are either posted here or in the review section. Roll Calls are for people to meet and introduce themselves BEFORE a cruise. They can set up things like meet and greets, dinners, slot pulls, etc.

No one goes to the Roll Call section to read an after cruise report. If you want to, go ahead.

I understand that most Roll Call threads are just for prior to the cruise, however, on our Jade Ta, there were posts after the cruise had begun, which I believe is the circumstance of the OP, and there were posts regarding current events and meet ups.

Perhaps the OP is concerned about this type of activity.

HTHs

Cheers,

Connie

Edited by All-ready2cruise

Hi Jememy, I just finished a cruise on the Jade, a TA, had a great time; I can still access the thread/roll call for that cruise. I add it to my favorites so I don't have to click on my avatar to find the posts for that cruise.

Here's the link to your previous cruise if it was Breakaway May 21. 2018:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2455911

BTW, most recent post appears to be yesterday.

Hope you're enjoying your cruise.

Cheers

Hi All-ready2cruise. I'll be on the TA out of Southampton on the Jade in September! Looking forward to our 1st TA; 1st time on the Jade, and finally, our 1st time seeing London!☺

Sent from my SM-J320P using Forums mobile app

Hi All-ready2cruise. I'll be on the TA out of Southampton on the Jade in September! Looking forward to our 1st TA; 1st time on the Jade, and finally, our 1st time seeing London!☺

Hi MaryAnn... I'm sure you're gonna love the Jade, she's a darlin' ship. I'm still dreaming and maybe hoping that I can do the TA back to Miami.. wouldn't that be fun. But, if I can't, if things don't work out, know that I'm with you and Maria, in my dreams.

All the best, safe travels and may the seas be with you... always following,

Always,

Connie

I thought your name looked familiar!! Is this Connie???☺ It would be wonderful if it does work out for you! ☺

Maryann

My fingers toes and well, maybe not my eyes, are crossed. Not a whisper though, it's our secret... still hoping.

hugs... share only with Maria, please. Connie

Thanks, everyone. Just seems strange that you can have a Roll Call with hundreds, if not a thousand posts and then as soon as the cruise begins it's crickets except for a rogue post and an odd review. If someone is going to exert so much energy pre-cruise, you would think they should also be responsible to give their Roll Call a wrap up with how it went. It's usually not a big deal except if it's a new itinerary, new boat, or something has changed on the boat (ie after dry dock).

I just got off the Epic on May 16th, but our vacation didn't end and bring me home to the states until the 21st. I've been slowly going through and adding details of my trip if they will help someone else, but it is a slow process and frankly after being away for over 2 weeks my real life takes priority over writing reviews and follow-up threads on an internet board ;)

We had zero internet access while on the ship, so there would have been no way for me to post updates daily as you had suggested. After we got off the ship, my hotel in Venice had horrible internet that I could only use with my phone in short bursts. Sorry, but I'm not typing out a quick review within 1-3 days after getting off the ship on my phone.

So your idea is good, but not practical. At least with the time constraints you are suggesting for when replies and summaries are due.

Thanks, everyone. Just seems strange that you can have a Roll Call with hundreds, if not a thousand posts and then as soon as the cruise begins it's crickets except for a rogue post and an odd review. If someone is going to exert so much energy pre-cruise, you would think they should also be responsible to give their Roll Call a wrap up with how it went. It's usually not a big deal except if it's a new itinerary, new boat, or something has changed on the boat (ie after dry dock).
Possibly you can volunteer to do it on your next cruise, but if you are looking to help/inform folks that were not on your cruise, I seriously doubt that they would be coming to your roll call thread for information. Think about it, how many roll call theads do you go on on cruises you are not on.

Possibly another idea would be to have someone from your cruise start a thread and ask everyone from that cruise to post their thoughts, suggestions, etc. about the cruise. This would not be in the roll call section.

I can't say that I'd agree. Everyone on the roll call was also on the cruise and got to experience the cruise first-hand. There really is no need to tell them "how it went"...they all KNOW "how it went"....they were there.

If someone wants to tell people "how it went", that is what Trip Reports and Reviews are for.

I don't disagree with everyone's comments, but I wanted to point out how odd it is that everyone scrambles to find answers to their questions prior to their cruise and then when it goes silent. The title of my post is akin to the "Aftter the first al rose" or the recap from reality shows when housewives get together and discuss.

I don't disagree with everyone's comments, but I wanted to point out how odd it is that everyone scrambles to find answers to their questions prior to their cruise and then when it goes silent. The title of my post is akin to the "Aftter the first al rose" or the recap from reality shows when housewives get together and discuss.

I would just find it odd to look at past roll calls of a cruise I was never on. If I was interested in finding out how something was I would go look at the reviews or the section that was related to my question. I never find roll calls all that useful to find out anything more then what excursions others have planned and want people to help fill. Or other events they have planned and for people to join.