New to Princess - where do I park?

mahondi

I am familiar with Miami and Tampa ports. First time out of Ft Launderdale. From the threads I've read, it looks like people are reserving parking spots? What's that about? Can anyone tell me their experience of driving to the port and where I park the car and how far is that car going to be from the terminal. DH has mobility issues and I don't want to lose him before we even get on board. :confused::confused:

There are many discussions on the Florida Departures board about parking. If you are yalking about parking in tge port, there are 3 lots to talk about. But you need to figure where your ship is docked thay day, to determine which lot is closest.

If you are not talking about parking in the port, there are many threads about off port parking.

The airport is quite close to the ship port. There are two off site parking sites for airport or cruise ship parking and they take you to either the airport or ship. We have used Park'n'Go with success. There is parking available next to the terminal 2 but if the ship returns to another terminal, you will have a problem.

I would go ahead and book the cruise port park n go to get a 'reserved' spot - which may or may not be needed depending on the number of ships in port

once you find out your terminal(s) you will be going out of and back into, you can always cancel for full refund your park n go reservation and park at the terminal parking garage

very easy to do if going in and out of 2

very short walk from parking garage to terminal 2

I find it easiest to drop off my mobility challenged family member at the terminal entrance and then go and park. There is an HA assist area right inside the door where he/she can wait for you to return. No, we don't like to separate, but it is easier than her needing to navigate in from whatever parking we use.

I am familiar with Miami and Tampa ports. First time out of Ft Launderdale. From the threads I've read, it looks like people are reserving parking spots? What's that about? Can anyone tell me their experience of driving to the port and where I park the car and how far is that car going to be from the terminal. DH has mobility issues and I don't want to lose him before we even get on board. :confused::confused:

There are two parking decks at Port Everglades, Northport and Mid Port. Most times Princess docks at piers 2 or 4 which is Northport. The deck is literally adjacent to these piers. If your ship is docked at one of the other piers, then you can use the mid-port garage. The charge is $15.day ($19 for oversized). No reservations are given or needed. Just drive in and park. If you can get down the elevator then you can just park and then bring your luggage down. If not then you can drop off luggage or passenger in the drop off area, then drive around to park. There is no porter service in the garages. If you meet one of these disabled definitions as shown in the Port Everglades.net site and you are a FL resident you can park for free.

disabled parking

parking fee waiver for the disabled

In compliance with Florida Statute 316.1964, parking fees are waived at all Port Everglades lots and garages to disabled persons operating vehicles with ONE of the following qualifications:

• Display a Florida Toll Exemption Permit as explained in Florida Statute 316.1964 (see example below)
  • Vehicle is modified with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, or foot and hand controls for use by a disabled person (see example below)
  • Display the "DV" license plate from any state - Disabled Veteran - issued under Florida Statute 320.084 (See example below)

Alternately you can park at park & go, which has been mentioned in other postings.

The airport is quite close to the ship port. There are two off site parking sites for airport or cruise ship parking and they take you to either the airport or ship. We have used Park'n'Go with success. There is parking available next to the terminal 2 but if the ship returns to another terminal, you will have a problem.

Why's that? Princess runs a free shuttle to get people back to their cars. I've used it & didn't even have my car parked at Term 2.

we've 'had' to use it when we didn't know, or it was changed... went out of 2, back into 19...

get luggage at 19 - go thru customs, go outside get in line, with luggage - wait for shuttle.......................full............................wait - finally get on, struggle with luggage

get back to 2 - retrieve luggage - get in line for elevator to garage

easily 1.5 hours...

next time when we knew - used park n go - very easy - but many people on the ship had no clue they would be coming back into a different terminal

Fort Lauderdale is very easy. If you enter the main gate of the cruise port, the Princess pier will be the first you come to on your left. There is an entrance to the parking garage, as well as entrance to the driveway to drop off your luggage right there together.

Drop your bags off with the Longshoremen, and then park your car. It's a short walk (across the street) to the terminal.

Why's that? Princess runs a free shuttle to get people back to their cars. I've used it & didn't even have my car parked at Term 2.

So have we on a cruise that departed from terminal 21 (right next to the midport garage) and returned to terminal 2 (right next to the northport garage). Princess was running a non-stop shuttle (every 15 minutes - 10 minute roundtrip drive and about a 5 minute wait before taking off again from the northport garage) so the waiting time (we did leave later than many folks at about 9 am) was minimal.

Fort Lauderdale is very easy. If you enter the main gate of the cruise port, the Princess pier will be the first you come to on your left. There is an entrance to the parking garage, as well as entrance to the driveway to drop off your luggage right there together.

While Princess uses terminal 2 first, if they have multiple ships in port (not at all unusual on a high season weekend day) they also use 4 and 21 (and possibly others but those are the only three we have experienced).

So have we on a cruise that departed from terminal 21 (right next to the midport garage) and returned to terminal 2 (right next to the northport garage). Princess was running a non-stop shuttle (every 15 minutes - 10 minute roundtrip drive and about a 5 minute wait before taking off again from the northport garage) so the waiting time (we did leave later than many folks at about 9 am) was minimal.

Same with me. I probably went back to term 2 around 9:30 & didn't have much of a wait either.

We have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale many times and always park at the deck closest to the ship. I prefer the concrete deck which keeps my vehicle out of the hot Florida sun. Write down your location (floor and section) & closest stairway as you leave.

I always drop all the bags and my DH at the pier and then go park in the closest parking deck

Although it is more costly than parking off site the biggest advantage of using a parking deck is when you return.

When you receive all your bags in the color coded section that Princess provides, there will be porters offering to assist you. These porters are well worth the $20 that we usually tip them. They will schlep all your bags and carry ons for you, get you thru customs quickly, and bring all your bags and stuff right to your vehicle in the parking deck and load the heavy bags into your trunk and back seat.

Well worth it in my opinion.

If you arrive mid to late morning you will not have a problem finding a space with many getting off multiple ships that are leaving.

Even if we have to wait an hour or so to board by arriving early it reduces the hassle and stress.

Howard