Route of the Vikings Live on Board

galeforce9

galeforce9,

Love your posts and having done a “live from” blog know how much effort goes into your writing which BTW is excellent and your photos are over the top.

DW and I are busy packing and will be joining the Quest in Reykjavik. One question about clothing. We have some Seabourn parkas with puffys to go underneath from our Antarctica trip for severe cold. However, we also have a more versatile Seabourn parka with zippered hood from our Alaska trip that is great in the rain. DW thinks the puffy with a light rain jacket might suffice. What are you finding to be the most comfortable combination for the cold and rain you have experienced so far? I know you say layers but what kind? Also, how cold is it onboard the ship in the public areas? Good for long sleeves, sweaters, and jackets. Thanks as your answer may save me from overpacking. lol BTW as a Fitbit owner 25,000 steps is very impressive in my book.

Great questions! We are joining you on the Quest Monday and have already packed but I worry I don't have all the proper outerwear and clothing. We are at the exact weight limits on our bags so it would be tough to rethink it all.

We have been in Iceland for three days and can tell you all of the people who live here are talking about this historic summer that never arrived - rainiest summer since late 1800’s. So glad we brought our rain pants and waterproof hiking jackets. We debated about Alaska jackets where light lining does not zip out and our own high quality rain jackets (North Face and Marmot) with option for fleece zip tops or puffers under and chose the later. It had given us more flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Waterproofs

Hi everyone who has asked about waterproofs. We decided to bring our good quality Rab waterproofs and also our Seabourn issued Alaska parka (husband) and Antarctica parka (me). In retrospect I’m glad we both brought two.

There have been some days that were wet and not too cold (Isle of Man) where the thin waterproofs were good and others that were cold, windy and wet, where the Seabourn-issued were ideal.

Also, on occasion, we have been so wet that we needed to change jacket and go back out in it for Grill lunch, or to whale watch, for instance, so a second jacket has been useful whilst the other hangs over the bath.

I think we chose different Seabourn parkas as we didn’t want to look like identical penguins! I think the Antarctica parka is better quality, a bit thinner but more wind proof. I can wear my own puffs underneath. The Alaska parka is better in wet weather but with built in fleece is less flexible. I prefer orange and husband prefers blue.

There are many orange and blue parkas on board. A bit of a badge of honour! It would be good if they issued a special wearable momento from this trip. It would sure to be popular!

We then walked back to Grundarfjordur (you’ll note the different spelling each time I type this!) and out the other side to a large waterfall called Grundarfoss. We had to ford a few rivers, following the path from the road but it was well worth it. Quite a few of the ship’s crew were jogging along the road on the way.

Have a great trip everyone on board now, Chairsin et al. Beautiful evening for your first meal on board with Jes. Enjoy the scenery. Will provide a final sum up once home and hope that the thread continues to give me information for a future trip. Bon voyage!