Sailing time from Southampton at start of cruise

PrincessPete

Hi, we are on the 28 night Oriana cruise from Southampton on 22 February 2019. I have tried unsuccessfully with P&O to get an accurate idea of the time we sail from Southampton so I can consider whether to travel on the day or stay at a hotel the night before.

Can anyone give me an idea, please? I appreciate it will be mid/late afternoon at the earliest but wondered whether the longer cruises departed later to allow loading of extra supplies (and probably extra luggage).

Any help much appreciated. Many thanks and kind regards. Peter

Looks like you are only travelling from London. We drive up from Devon on the day and usually arrive by 1pm
We usually fly from Newcastle the day before and stay in the Premier Inn at WestQuay.

We have a walk around West Quay shopping centre in the morning then a short taxi ride to the port.

We live 200 miles away and always travel down the day before, nothing like knowing you are only a mile or two away from the port. My son was once stuck on a motorway for 3 hours, and missed his flight, and got a later flight, no such luck if you are going on a cruise.

We live 200 miles away and always travel down the day before, nothing like knowing you are only a mile or two away from the port. My son was once stuck on a motorway for 3 hours, and missed his flight, and got a later flight, no such luck if you are going on a cruise.
I agree,it is much more relaxing having a meal and a drink the night before and a lazy morning if you want before a short taxi ride to the terminal.

this is the port website

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

they will want you on by 4pm at the latest for the muster. Mind you the times on here aren't set in stone..if more than one ship in the captains usually sort it out among themselves who is going when (OH has a scanner so we can listen in to conversations between ships and the port authority)

We left home North Midlands for what would be normally a leisurely 3 hr drive to Southampton for a cruise on Aurora and left at 7-30am allowing for traffic and stops. We came to a standstill on M42 and remained stationary for over 3 hrs due to an accident and just about managed to get to the M42/M40 junction at 1pm and drove to Southampton like a mad man to catch the ship. We were lucky with further traffic and managed to get there just in time. Think we were one of the last few to board the terminal was completely empty and we walked straight through check in/security and onto the ship. Since then we have always travelled down the day before and stayed in a hotel near to Southampton or actually in Southampton. Never want to go through that again.

We left home North Midlands for what would be normally a leisurely 3 hr drive to Southampton for a cruise on Aurora and left at 7-30am allowing for traffic and stops. We came to a standstill on M42 and remained stationary for over 3 hrs due to an accident and just about managed to get to the M42/M40 junction at 1pm and drove to Southampton like a mad man to catch the ship. We were lucky with further traffic and managed to get there just in time. Think we were one of the last few to board the terminal was completely empty and we walked straight through check in/security and onto the ship. Since then we have always travelled down the day before and stayed in a hotel near to Southampton or actually in Southampton. Never want to go through that again.

We had a similar experience ( on one journey we had 2 caravans over turned, first on the M40 the other on the A34) it is just not worth the stress so we also now stay in or near to Southampton the night before.

We are further from Southampton than London and wouldn’t remotely consider driving down the day before. It would be a complete waste of money for us and a lot of hassle having to hump luggage in and out of a hotel or risk leaving it in the car .

We always time our journey to arrive at the terminal between 11 and 12 and therefore could have a delay of over 4 hours and still make the ship. Over 15 Cruises the most we have had is an hours delay, so allowing for 4 hours delays in an extreme situation sits comfortably with me.

If we lived in the North of England or Scotland (or I was the nervous disposition type) then we would travel down the day before, but as none of these apply we travel down in the morning, which is one of the major attractions of cruising from Southampton for us.