Yes or No to Carnival Dream steakhouse

KammyJo3

Hi........Is the steakhouse worth the money? Is it the same price for kids? (12/15/15). Should it be something we book without them? First night booking you get a free bottle of wine correct? What type?? How do you book the reservations? Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts! :)

If you would like a really good meal with some individual service I would recommend a night at the Steakhouse without kids. For the price you are offered the equivalent of a meal that would cost you at least double at a land based restaurant.

If you do want to bring your kids my recommendation would be that they are at least into their teens. The cost is the same for everyone and the food might not be palatable to younger children. Also, and just a thought, the steak house is an escape for many parents who would like some quality time away from their kids while on a cruise and it might not be fair to them if people arrived with young children who might have a hard time minding their manners for 2 or 3 hours.

The $35 per person is well worth it in the steakhouse. The cost for kids is the same but I would suggest not bringing them to the steakhouse as it is one of the refuges adults go to. Service is long but well worth it.

If you would like a really good meal with some individual service I would recommend a night at the Steakhouse without kids. For the price you are offered the equivalent of a meal that would cost you at least double at a land based restaurant.

If you do want to bring your kids my recommendation would be that they are at least into their teens. The cost is the same for everyone and the food might not be palatable to younger children. Also, and just a thought, the steak house is an escape for many parents who would like some quality time away from their kids while on a cruise and it might not be fair to them if people arrived with young children who might have a hard time minding their manners for 2 or 3 hours.

What do you consider young children?

The OPs are 12 and 15.

OP, it is still $35 per person.

In all fairness I have seen grown ups that can't handle the 2 1/2 hour meal.

To answer your questions:

Yes, great value

Yes, $35 per person

Your choice, you know your children

Yes, first night free bottle of wine, Red or White. I didn't find either very palatable.

Reservations can be made in advance thru the "manage my cruise" feature or can be made onboard. If you want the first night it might be best to make the reservation prior to sailing.

Enjoy your cruise and your night in the steakhouse.

We've been to the Steakhouse on the Sunshine, and will do so again on next Saturday. It's worth the $35.00 to us, but I would not take children unless I believe they would be able to sit that long, and could eat the majority of what is served. The free wine is not the best, but is drinkable.

Been to the steakhouse on the Dream twice. Worth every penny. You might have to loosen a belt buckle on the way out :) My kids at age 12 would have had to split one steakhouse serving. If you get the cheesecake desert you'll be shocked by the size of this thing. Enjoy!

We always enjoy the Steakhouse. Been on 14 cruises (3 cruise lines), and always have enjoyed it. I would do it "sans kids". If you can't bring yourself to part from the children, then order the "steakhouse options" in the MDR. (I did this on the last cruise).

Happy sailing!

Worth every penny of it! We ate there 4 out of 7 nights on the Dream. I agree the free wine wasn't all that great but they have plenty of other choices and the prices were very reasonable. Enjoy your cruise and the steakhouse!

If the 15 yr olds (twins?) can keep the 12 yr old occupied, then you can decide if it is worth it to you to spend the extra $105 for them.

Entrees include filet mignon, rack of lamb, sea bass, surf and turf, lobster and maybe a pork chop. There may be a vegetarian entrée also.

I'm taking my twins out to a waterfront restaurant for their birthday this weekend, but mine are 40 yrs old. I hope they behave! LOL

Thanks everyone for all your replys!!!! Yep, twins.......and we've decided to let the kids do their thing while we enjoy our meal......the kids will be much happier with pizza and ice cream.....

Yeah they probably would be happier. I loved the steakhouse on the Dream, I didn't see any teens or younger on the night I went. don't eat lunch that day, the portions are huge and you will be stuffed if you plan to order steak. I had the bone in ribeye, it was enough for two maybe even 3 people at my house.

We have been on Dream 6 times and have gone to the Steak house all six times. This weekend, I am going on Dream again but with my son and his family.

My granddaughter is 10 and she is used to going out to dinner and has good manners. I don't think the length of time there is going to be a problem for her. I think because she is an only child and used to being with adults most of the time, she will be fine.

I know she won't eat as much as an adult, but onion soup and a strip steak will be her choice. Not that the whole steak will disappear, but she is a steak lover.

This will be the first time going to the Steak house with a child, so it will be interesting. I know she won't embarrass any of us, so I am fine with her going with us.

The meal we had in the Dream steakhouse was by far one of the best meals we have ever had! We ate there on the first night of the cruise around 5:30 or 6:00, so at the time we were one of only about 3 couples in there - so quiet! The service was outstanding, as was the meal. We try to dine in the specialty restaurant on each ship that we sail, and the Dream has been the best so far! It was just one of those evenings when everything was perfect - restaurant was quiet, impeccable service, outstanding food, etc. Just a great experience! We actually had to go back to the room for a while just to lay down and recover - we were absolutely miserable from being so full of great food! Choice of wine is red or white. You can also take it back to your cabin if you don't want it with dinner or if you don't finish the bottle at dinner. We will be back on the Dream in November and will definitely dine there again.