Passport Card and Carnival

Not looking for a debate about book vs card, though it will happen.

Does anyone have any experience with Carnival and using a passport card?

Book was lost, but have the card and just curious as to any experience people have had.

As we all know, calling Carnival can produce different responses, that is why I am seeking actual experiences.

This is what I copied and pasted from Carnival's website.

The Passport Card

The passport card cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

U.S. citizens may present a limited-use, wallet-size passport card. The passport card will only be valid for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region and Bermuda.

My husband and I used passport cards when we sailed in December, with no problems. We plan on using them again in March. I hope this helps.

Maybe what I should have asked is if Carnival accepts the card for check in?

Yes Carnival accepts it for check in. My nieces used theirs for the cruise. It's more convenient than a DL and BC but not as good as a Passport. Hope that helps. It's actually an option in the drop down menu in your online check in.

I will add as long as it's not on a cruise that requires a Passport as there are some of those.

Book was lost, but have the card and just curious as to any experience people have had.

As we all know, calling Carnival can produce different responses, that is why I am seeking actual experiences.

That is all we have used on our four cruises. Yes it is a valid ID in lieu of a DL/BC. But basically the only benefits of a PC vs a DL/BC is that you can use the Passport line when you disembark (and easy to carry the PC vs DL/BC.

unless you need to get home for a medical emergency, whether it be you or family members at home. I personally would never leave U.S.soil without a apassport

I am going to guess that you leave it in your cabin safe when you go into the ports..yes?

Badfinger my guess is that you will need to bring it with you when you get off the ship. That is your id. first time cruiser in December but avid traveler by plane. Thanks guys never thought of using it. Now will be bringing mines and a photo copy of my passport as backup.

Yes Carnival accepts it for check in. My nieces used theirs for the cruise. It's more convenient than a DL and BC but not as good as a Passport. Hope that helps. It's actually an option in the drop down menu in your online check in.

I will add as long as it's not on a cruise that requires a Passport as there are some of those.

Thank you, for some reason I did not look there.

I do not believe than any cruise line can deny a passenger use of a valid, non-expired passport card for a cruise embarking and disembarking in the USA.

During the Carnival check-in process on-line, prior to your cruise, you will complete a section regarding valid identification. Both Passport Book and Passport Card are valid choices. If you choose Passport Card, you are strongly encouraged to use your book instead, given that "passport card only" passengers cannot be airlifted to the USA in the even of an emergency.

So you will not have a problem using your card for embarkation and registration / check-in.

For the past 2 1/2 years I've used my passport card for close to two dozen cruises-- all without incident.

However, I do travel with BOTH... just in case there was an emergency.

But here's a consideration and a question whose answer I do not know for certain:

Since I present my CARD for registration, and only that information is in the official registration and passenger manifest, IF there was some emergency, perhaps where I was incapacitated and NOT ABLE to let them know that I do have my passport BOOK with me as well in the safe.... would they just provide local care since they didn't believe I could be airlifted back to the USA?

Contrary to another poster's claim, I can also share from experience that the passport card carries a DIFFERENT number than your passport book. Not only does the card's ID start with the letter "C", the numbers are completely different than my book's number

• 3 months later...

I just booked a cruise that includes Bonaire, Aruba and Grand Turk. The Carnival rep told me we could NOT use our passport cards for this cruise, and gave me the list of items needed if we didn't have passports. I can't find any verification that there are particular requirements for cruising to these locations. Can anyone address this? (I do see where people noted the cruise reps are not always correct with their info:confused:).

I just booked a cruise that includes Bonaire, Aruba and Grand Turk. The Carnival rep told me we could NOT use our passport cards for this cruise, and gave me the list of items needed if we didn't have passports. I can't find any verification that there are particular requirements for cruising to these locations. Can anyone address this? (I do see where people noted the cruise reps are not always correct with their info:confused:).

Unless your cruise specifically says you need a Passport, the Rep is wrong.

I used the card on our last cruise, about two years ago. Ymmv.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Make sure your card is still valid. It shares the same number as your (hopefully reported) lost passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will share the expiration date if they were issued at the same time but each will have their own number.

Edited by sparks1093

I do not believe than any cruise line can deny a passenger use of a valid, non-expired passport card for a cruise embarking and disembarking in the USA.

During the Carnival check-in process on-line, prior to your cruise, you will complete a section regarding valid identification. Both Passport Book and Passport Card are valid choices. If you choose Passport Card, you are strongly encouraged to use your book instead, given that "passport card only" passengers cannot be airlifted to the USA in the even of an emergency.

So you will not have a problem using your card for embarkation and registration / check-in.

For the past 2 1/2 years I've used my passport card for close to two dozen cruises-- all without incident.

However, I do travel with BOTH... just in case there was an emergency.

But here's a consideration and a question whose answer I do not know for certain:

Since I present my CARD for registration, and only that information is in the official registration and passenger manifest, IF there was some emergency, perhaps where I was incapacitated and NOT ABLE to let them know that I do have my passport BOOK with me as well in the safe.... would they just provide local care since they didn't believe I could be airlifted back to the USA?

Contrary to another poster's claim, I can also share from experience that the passport card carries a DIFFERENT number than your passport book. Not only does the card's ID start with the letter "C", the numbers are completely different than my book's number

Some cruise lines do impose a requirement for all passengers to have a passport, mostly the upscale lines. I am not sure if they would actually deny boarding to someone with another sufficient document such as a passport card, but I wouldn't want to test it. You can be airlifted back without a passport it would just take a little more time to arrange. The DHS regulations do give the State Department the authority to waive the requirement in the event of an emergency. The passport card does give you a leg up because all of your information is already in the State Department database. You are going to receive local care regardless because you will need to be stabilized. If you cannot communicate with anyone then your travel companion or your emergency contact should tell them where your passport is.

unless you need to get home for a medical emergency, whether it be you or family members at home. I personally would never leave U.S.soil without a a passport

This...no one ever thinks anything will happen to them cuz it hasn't happened yet....then they will come here to complain about it....also, this question is easily answered on the CCL website as well as "google it"....

No debate here, I have been using the passport card for around 10 years, and will continue to use it. It fits in my wallet, works fine and if for some reason I miss the ship, than I guess, I will hang out at Sr Frogs for a day, while the embassy works out my travel plans. Many people worry about the 0.0000000001% chance they have to fly home, but not me, the odds of winning at the slot machine is greater than the need of anything else.

We did Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk with a passport card, no problem. Whoever you spoke with was certainly wrong and needs to be retrained.;)

We did Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk with a passport card, no problem. Whoever you spoke with was certainly wrong and needs to be retrained.;)

You are so completely wrong and do not know what a passport card is used for. First of all, on a cruise, no one from any of the countries mentioned would ask for a passport or card because you are on a cruise. You cold not enter any of the above countries with a passport card. Let's back up, you could never leave the U.S. to enter any other country with a passport other than Canada and Mexico.

You are so completely wrong and do not know what a passport card is used for. First of all, on a cruise, no one from any of the countries mentioned would ask for a passport or card because you are on a cruise. You cold not enter any of the above countries with a passport card. Let's back up, you could never leave the U.S. to enter any other country with a passport other than Canada and Mexico.

Passport cards are valid for land and sea entry for Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda and are valid for both closed loop and open jaw sailings. Enhanced Drivers Licenses, currently issued by 5 sates, may be used similarly. If the PP presented the card and it could not be used then he would have been denied boarding and he wasn't, which leads me to believe it may be used for those ports.