Unreimbursed Airfare

bobnpaty

There is way to block signatures so that you don't see them. I don't know what it is but I'm sure someone will tell you how you can do that. :)

I believe the OP stated he (and/or his travel agent) had been told several times that no refund would be forthcoming, or at least not a full one. How many times do you think a person you go back to the company with "I know you said no but let me ask again" before resorting to social media? :confused:

Since the first post on the first thread on the subject was on September 11th and the OP posted on September 12th that he was receiving a refund it doesn't seem like it took long. I guess that seems like a long time in the age of instant gratification. At least the OP came back, as he said he would, to let us know that the refund was received.

The point I was trying to make is he was questioning if he would have received it if he hadn't come here. If it were me, I'd like to know the answer to that question. Now he'll never know. Knowing how long it takes for responses to a lot of people in a case like this, I would have given them a little more time.

In the many years I've been sailing with and watching the responses to problems from Celebrity, it seems they almost always do the right thing and in fact I've seen plenty of situations where they really shouldn't have done as much as they did. I've been the recipient of some credits that I didn't really want for minor inconveniences. When I've tried to decline them they have insisted that we take them.

Edited by Ma Bell

Looking at this tread, I'm a little bit less angry about the higher cruise fares i've to pay at germany....

Here its a law, the partner responsible for the kill of the contract, has to reimburse the other party all !!!!! THE COST

Hotel, airfaire, whatever is booked and not cancable for free.

Additionaly the have to pay a fee for lost holiday fun.... for cruises it's 50%

of the cruise cost, inl. tax

got some cash from MSC for the canceled Divina carib cruise sept 2015....

Since the first post on the first thread on the subject was on September 11th and the OP posted on September 12th that he was receiving a refund it doesn't seem like it took long. I guess that seems like a long time in the age of instant gratification. At least the OP came back, as he said he would, to let us know that the refund was received.

The point I was trying to make is he was questioning if he would have received it if he hadn't come here. If it were me, I'd like to know the answer to that question. Now he'll never know. Knowing how long it takes for responses to a lot of people in a case like this, I would have given them a little more time.

In the many years I've been sailing with and watching the responses to problems from Celebrity, it seems they almost always do the right thing and in fact I've seen plenty of situations where they really shouldn't have done as much as they did. I've been the recipient of some credits that I didn't really want for minor inconveniences. When I've tried to decline them they have insisted that we take them.

I may be misremembering, but I believe that the original poster posted a thread several days before that date that was removed because they mentioned their travel agent. If I'm not mistaken, there were several attempts at a post which were removed before the final post that we see here came into being?

The point I was trying to make is he was questioning if he would have received it if he hadn't come here. If it were me, I'd like to know the answer to that question. Now he'll never know.

The OP or his TA were given a flat out NO several times by Celebrity in the days prior to the post. If I was told NO, re-addressed it was still told NO, I don't think I'd be inclined to wait weeks or months for Celebrity to just out of the blue say "oh, wait, we changed our minds, you can have a refund." For $50 maybe, but not for several thousand dollars, particularly for a pretty cut and dried case like this was. If you don't mind a company holding several thousand of your dollars hostage, more power to you. ;)

Question What if:

You had booked airfare on your own? Would Celebrity or the airline refund the airfare?

Not what you expect, but what would happen in the real world?

We book our airfare with Celebrity.

Coming from the UK we are ATOL protected.

I was also booked on the fated April 5th Dubai to Rome.

I had paid £77 p.p surcharge for our airfare, as we were travelling to Dubai a week early.

I just wonder why the OP had to pay their airfare in full so far in front. The cost of ours was on the invoice, (£650) but nothing was due to be paid until the balance date.

The £77p.p. has now just been credited as 'extra' deposit.

Fortunately we have lost nothing.

Edited by upwarduk
To include title- Atol Protected

Short answer - no. Celebrity offered up to $300 per person for changes to ticket, but if you cancelled the cruise and just wanted your air fare back, Celebrity was very specific that they would not pay for the lost airline fare. Unfortunately, insurance would also probably not pay as alternative cruises were offered. If one cancelled it would be for personal reasons and, most likely, it would not fall under the rules of travel insurance.

Short answer - no. Celebrity offered up to $300 per person for changes to ticket, but if you cancelled the cruise and just wanted your air fare back, Celebrity was very specific that they would not pay for the lost airline fare. Unfortunately, insurance would also probably not pay as alternative cruises were offered. If one cancelled it would be for personal reasons and, most likely, it would not fall under the rules of travel insurance.
But if one purchased their own airfare, Celebrity is reimbursing them for the change fee and they can use the airfare for another trip. I always purchase my own airfare and wouldn't expect Celebrity to reimburse me for anything but the change fee. If someone wants to protect themselves 100 percent, then they should purchase their airfare through Celebrity.

So if you buy a non refundable air ticket and the cruise is cancelled that means you are totally on your own and must loose the airfare amount. Insurance should cover cancelled trips when it is done by the travel company (such as a cruise line)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if you buy a non refundable air ticket and the cruise is cancelled that means you are totally on your own and must loose the airfare amount. Insurance should cover cancelled trips when it is done by the travel company (such as a cruise line)

Celebrity offered to pay the change fee, so you can use the dollars you spent for the ticket on another flight and wouldn't lose the airfare amount.

But if one purchased their own airfare, Celebrity is reimbursing them for the change fee and they can use the airfare for another trip. I always purchase my own airfare and wouldn't expect Celebrity to reimburse me for anything but the change fee. If someone wants to protect themselves 100 percent, then they should purchase their airfare through Celebrity.

Actually, I'd say that 100% protection requires purchase of a fully refundable airfare per the airline. Not all Choice Air flights are fully refundable.

Generally speaking, travel insurance would not cover the cancellation of a cruise by the cruise line unless it was cancelled due to a covered event such as weather. The travel insurance companies are covering you for events that happen to you such as sickness, accidents or such. They are generally not going to cover changes the cruise line arbitrarily makes.

Remember, travel insurance only covers the items listed in the policy as being covered.

1. The cruise was not cancelled, it was altered. 2. Non-refundable airline tickets are in almost all instances not completely non-refundable but have change fees associated. 3. Some people use frequent flyer miles for tickets and have another problem associated with getting their miles transferred or refunded to their account. 4. Some people continued on with the itinerary, some people cancelled and some people chose another itinerary and transferred.

Unfortunately, with a ship full of people and all the various options, it's going to take a little time to get things sorted out. As annoying as it is when something like this happens we do have to bear some responsibility for the choices we make and understand that if we buy airline tickets and hotel rooms that are non-refundable it's going to be more difficult and take longer to sort out. Even with Choice Air some tickets are refundable and some are not.

Edited by Ma Bell

Actually, I'd say that 100% protection requires purchase of a fully refundable airfare per the airline. Not all Choice Air flights are fully refundable.

Yes, if someone wants their money back, then they should always purchase a fully refundable ticket to protect themselves 100 percent. I always purchase non refundable tickets and have had to pay the change fee from time to time, but it is worth it based on the fare difference between non refundable and fully refundable tickets.

Wouldn't it be simpler if moderators just edited out the travel agency name in cases like this where it was inadvertently included?

Cruise Critic Hosts (aka moderators) will not edit any posts made by members. The only exception is when the original poster of a post requests that we edit out something that the original poster wants removed.

In those rare cases where a member requests an edit that a Host agrees to make, the Host will include a "reason for edit" note.

It's unfortunate your cruise got cancelled. We always take trip cancellation insurance either through Celebrity or through a company that our travel agent recommends. If you have trip insurance you might want to check with them. There may be a way for you to recoup your out of pocket air fare expense. Good luck. I hope this works out in your favor.:)

It's unfortunate your cruise got cancelled. We always take trip cancellation insurance ....

I do not believe that a cancellation by the cruise line well in advance of the cruise would be covered by most travel insurance policies. In any event one needs to read the terms of the policy to see exactly what is covered.

Celebrity offered to pay the change fee, so you can use the dollars you spent for the ticket on another flight and wouldn't lose the airfare amount.

I guess that is the reason insurance will not cover it. And if you booked this cruise and it gets changed or cancelled you are quite likely to book something else eventually.

I guess that is the reason insurance will not cover it. And if you booked this cruise and it gets changed or cancelled you are quite likely to book something else eventually.

The reason insurance will not cover it (or probably will not) is that the cancellation by a cruise line in advance of the cruise date is usually not a covered event. In order for something to be covered the terms of the policy must specifically say it is covered. They generally do not include events under the control of the cruise line in their coverage since those are, or should be, the responsibility of the cruise line.

The only way to know for certain is to read the policy terms. No policy covers "everything".

Edited by Lsimon