Unreimbursed Airfare

bobnpaty

Very pleased that it worked out as it should. Sometimes it's merely a matter of getting the attention of the right person. Appears that Celebrity Cruises ( the person) got you the ear of the right person. I'm sure that others in your situation will receive the same response. As I said earlier in the tread: Celebrity has always treated me fairly when I had this type of issue.

I'm very happy it worked out as well. In my experience with Celebrity they always seem to go the extra mile in resolving issues once you reach the person responsible in that group.

Luckily I haven't had many problematic issues, but when I did they stepped in and resolved them, and it's one of the reasons I continue to sail with them

I admire that the social media group of RCCl/Celebrity does look at these threads and helps getting the complaint to the person that can deliver the solution/or answer the question

I do quite a bit of arbitration/mediation work and I know in most cases I've read on cruise critic Celebrity goes above and beyond their legal obligations for remedies, and tries to ensure customer satisfaction/retention as well

Glad to hear your problem was remedied! We had a similar problem years ago with American Airlines Vacations. We booked a weeks vacation at a resort in the Bahamas which included air. 2 weeks before a hurricane nearly blows the place away so I call the TA to cancel and credit my CC. She says the air is non-refundable. I says are you kidding me???? I purchased a package and it should all be refunded. She says no deal. I call AA Vac. and they say no problem and refund my air also.Needless to say we do not use that TA anymore. I guess it all depends on who you you talk to and never give up. My old saying is "They may think they are right but I know I am right!":):):)

Just to clarify, I removed the 2 earlier threads, as the OP mentioned a travel agency, which is not permitted.

To expand on Andy's post, this thread contained a number of posts regarding the removal of other posts. Most of those posts have been removed because they were off topic. It would be to everyone's benefit to read and comply with our Community Guidelines.

If you ave any questions or if you see an ambiguity in the Guidelines, you are encouraged (urged) to communicate with our Community Manager (community@cruisecritic.com) rather than posting your comments and observations on the boards.

By the way, everyone who registered on Cruise Critic was asked to read and to comply with the same Community Guidelines as a condition of enrollment.

Hello,

Just as a FYI: We didn't ask for the post removed.

That is correct.

Just so everyone is aware, if a request is made by any cruise line to take action on any post on our boards it would be by using the report triangle just as any Cruise Critic member can do at any time. Cruise Critic will review the report and the reason therefore and will make a decision based solely on whether the post is in conformity with our Community Guidelines and for no other reason.

Edited by Host Walt

When I book a cruise I book the cruise first. I then have a contract with the cruise line. I then book flights based on that contract. If the cruise line decides to break that contract by cancelling the cruise or substantially changing the itinerary then they should take responsibility for resulting "damages" that are the direct result of that breach of contract. I would be shocked if Celebrity did not make it right somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also fighting to receive a refund. I sent an e-mail to both the resolution department and the President of Celebrity. In the e- mail I included the published announcement of the change which includes:

posted on Cruise Critic Sept. 3, 2014 by Cruisestitch:

latest statement from Celebrity includes the options to go back to singapore:

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. to Sell Celebrity Century to Ctrip

September 3, 2014 at 7:06am

MIAMI September 2, 2014 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE, OSLO: RCL) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to sell its cruise ship Celebrity Century to Exquisite Marine Ltd., a holding company led by Ctrip International Ltd. (NASDAQ: CTRIP). The sale will result in a non-cash loss of approximately $20 million dollars. This loss will be excluded from our adjusted net income in our third quarter results. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. will continue to operate Celebrity Century until April 2015.

Since its inaugural sailing, Celebrity Century has created many wonderful memories for hundreds of thousands of guests, and we expect this successful history to continue as she transitions to the Chinese cruise market, said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. The vessel’s sale is an excellent business opportunity for both Royal Caribbean and Ctrip, and will generate strong value for both companies’ shareholders.

Celebrity Century will complete its scheduled sailings through the March 22, 2015, itinerary. The 15-night, Dubai to Rome sailing on April 5, 2015 is being redeployed to a 14-night sailing from Dubai to Singapore. Guests with affected individual bookings and named group bookings on Celebrity Century’s April 5, 2015 sailing from Dubai to Rome have the option to either cancel their booking and receive a full refund or move to an alternative sailing and receive a re-accommodation onboard credit as well as compensation to cover air change fees. Guests with reservations affected by the transition will be proactively contacted by Celebrity Cruises. Guests and Travel Agents with specific questions are welcome to call 1-888-283-7275.Celebrity Century joined the Celebrity Cruises fleet in December 1995, and was built by Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany. The 71,545-ton ship carries 1,814 guests (double occupancy) and 860 crew.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE, OSE: RCL) is a global cruise vacation company that owns Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Club Cruises and CDF Croisières de France, as well as TUI Cruises through a 50 percent joint venture. Together, these six brands operate a combined total of 41 ships with an additional 8 under construction contracts. They operate diverse itineraries around the world that call on approximately 490 destinations on all seven continents. Additional information can be found on http://www.royalcaribbean.com, http://www.celebritycruises.com, http://www.pullmantur.es, http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com, http://www.cdfcroisieresdefrance.com or http://www.rclinvestor.com.

---

Some additional information:

Celebrity Century will complete its scheduled sailings through the March 22, 2015, itinerary.

Celebrity Century’s April 5, 2015, sailing will change from a 15-night Dubai to Rome sailing to a 14-night Dubai to Singapore sailing.

As an alternative, guest may move to select Celebrity Cruises sailings, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available rate (see sailings below) or any other Celebrity sailing at prevailing rate. Select sailings include:

Celebrity Century

- January 11, 2015

- January 25, 2015

- April 5, 2015

Celebrity Millennium

- March 1, 2015

- April 26, 2015

- September 11, 2015

- November 8, 2015

- November 22, 2015

- December 6, 2015

Guests who choose to rebook on any sailing will receive a $200 per stateroom onboard credit for interior, oceanview and balcony staterooms, or a $400 onboard credit per stateroom for suites.

Airfare

Guests that booked air transportation through Celebrity Cruises will receive a full refund.

We will assist those guests that did not purchase air transportation through Celebrity Cruises by paying for their airline change fee, up to $300 per person.

We ask that these guests please send a copy of the receipt for the change fee, along with a brief note explaining that they were booked on the April 5, 2015, sailing of Celebrity Century to the following address: Celebrity Cruises, Customer Service, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132-2096.

Travel Partners

For named and deposited bookings only, travel agency’s commission will be protected when guests are rebooked on any Celebrity Cruises sailing.

A $50 rebooking bonus commission per named and deposited stateroom will be offered to Travel Partners when guests rebook one of the select sailings listed above in like accommodations.

No Rebook / Cancel Sailing

Should a guest be unable to rebook on one of the alternative sailings and would prefer to cancel, Celebrity Cruises will provide them with a full refund of their cruise fare paid.

Cruise fare refunds will be automatically processed back to the original form of payment. Please allow two to three weeks for all transactions to be processed.

We understand that our guest’s vacation time is very precious and can assure you that we did not take this decision lightly.

Guests and Travel Agents with specific questions are welcome to call 1-888-283-7275.

This is the response I received today:

Dear Mrs. Woldridge:

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises via social media.

I can certainly understand your desire to be refunded for you air fees. Upon further research I was unable to locate any press release, or any other written communication, in which we promised the full refund of air fees. In every written communication I was able to locate, we offered up to $300, per person, in air change fees. I sincerely regret to learn you are dissatisfied with our airfare change fee reimbursement offer. I hope you will understand that when an event, such as this one, arises that impacts the entire sailing, we must ensure that everyone receives equal treatment. Compensation decisions in these situations are made at the highest level of our organization after much deliberation. As such, once confirmed, these decisions regarding compensation are final and are unable to be altered by anyone in the organization. In regard to your inquiry about additional coverage, we must politely decline your request for reimbursement of your original flight costs. If you can provide me with the written communication you received, I will be happy to re-evaluate your request at that time. Nevertheless, I am truly sorry for any disappointment this may cause, and I thank you for your understanding.

Mrs. Woldridge, thank you for the time you have taken to write to us. We truly look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you and your husband on the Celebrity Equinox next year.

Sincerely,

Eric Jarman

Social Media Support

Celebrity Cruises

I did not know e-mail is considered social media. ;) The published statement posted by Cruisestitch is obviously not made up, and I am very thankful that it was placed on Cruise Critic, as it has apparently disappeared from their files. By no means is this issue resolved.

Barb

So, did you book your airfare separately or through choice air?

Also, it's odd that the person said they could find no printed statements where it was promised that guests would receive full refunds, as clearly the letter states just that for those who booked with choice air.

Suggest you contact the CelebrityCruises poster and let them know you're having trouble.

So, did you book your airfare separately or through choice air?

Also, it's odd that the person said they could find no printed statements where it was promised that guests would receive full refunds, as clearly the letter states just that for those who booked with choice air.

Suggest you contact the CelebrityCruises poster and let them know you're having trouble.

Yes, I booked through Choice Air. I know I would not have a case if I had booked independently, but it was the statement by Celebrity in their release that is making me angry that they are not honoring. I cancelled because of that statement. The media release was posted on Cruise Critic by a person who was trying to help get information out as we were only hearing bits and pieces, and no communication by Celebrity. As far as I know, he/she had no interest in the statement about booking air through Celebrity. Certainty, it is not referenced separately as a point of interest. That post is located on this page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1958631&page=26

The news release may now have disappeared from Celebrity's "files,", but thanks to Cruise Critic, it has not disappeared - yet.

:rolleyes:

Since the original poster that started this thread has not actually seen a refund yet, the final outcome is still to be determined. I would love to contact him, but not sure how to do that. Bob (bobnpaty), could you please contact me? I would like to stay in touch until this is resolved.

woldridge@embarqmail.com

Barb

Yes, I booked through Choice Air. I know I would not have a case if I had booked independently, but it was the statement by Celebrity in their release that is making me angry that they are not honoring. I cancelled because of that statement. The media release was posted on Cruise Critic by a person who was trying to help get information out as we were only hearing bits and pieces, and no communication by Celebrity. As far as I know, he/she had no interest in the statement about booking air through Celebrity. Certainty, it is not referenced separately as a point of interest. That post is located on this page:

The news release may now have disappeared from Celebrity's "files,", but thanks to Cruise Critic, it has not disappeared - yet.

Since the original poster that started this thread has not actually seen a refund yet, the final outcome is still to be determined. I would love to contact him, but not sure how to do that. Bob (bobnpaty), could you please contact me? I would like to stay in touch until this is resolved.

woldridge@embarqmail.com

Barb

No no I mean contact the person (or team is more likely) that posts here at CC as "CelbrityCruises". They (as in Celebrity) monitor the board as well other social media avenues.

I'm booked on a Baltic cruise next summer on the Eclipse. If U.S. or European sanctions

force cancellation of the St. Pete port, and I cancel the cruise, I can kiss the $3,000+ airfare goodbye. It's pretty smart for the cruise lines to push this type of risk off onto passengers.

But, when the cruise line cancels a cruise.....ALL money spent with the cruise line should be returned to affected passengers.

In the past, you could have airfare added on from your home city when you booked the cruise. Then, until final payment, all you had at risk was the deposit.

Celebrity....do the right thing....many are watching.

woldridge@embarqmail.com

Barb

Here it is, posted on the OFFICIAL Celebrity Facebook Page:

Airfare

Guests that booked air transportation through Celebrity Cruises will receive a full refund.

We will assist those guests that did not purchase air transportation through Celebrity Cruises by paying for their airline change fee, up to $300 per person.

We ask that these guests please send a copy of the receipt for the change fee, along with a brief note explaining that they were booked on the April 5, 2015, sailing of Celebrity Century to the following address: Celebrity Cruises, Customer Service, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132-2096.

Unless they were hacked, who posted it besides a Celebrity Employee? Seems like that is written AND Communication.

I would be very frustrated if I booked choice air, and they didn't "make me whole"

Happy sailing (or not),

Jenna

Here it is, posted on the OFFICIAL Celebrity Facebook Page:

Airfare

Unless they were hacked, who posted it besides a Celebrity Employee? Seems like that is written AND Communication.

I would be very frustrated if I booked choice air, and they didn't "make me whole"

Happy sailing (or not),

Jenna

Thank you for posting where this originally came from. It will help my case.

Barb

• 2 weeks later...

Final outcome: Celebrity has, indeed, fully reimbursed me for the airfare. Did postings to this thread influence the outcome?

Cruise Critic is an invaluable source of information and can serve as an unbiased watchdog for the consumer. I benefitted from comments that were both supportive and critical of my situation. Issues that came to light as a result of postings to this thread:

• The reason for the complete change in itinerary was purely to benefit the company. It was not because of unrest in the Middle East but because Celebrity had sold the Century and needed to deliver it to their Chinese buyer in Singapore. See http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5971. I booked my cruise and air reservations on August 26 and my travel agent was advised of the itinerary change in an email from Celebrity received at 10:56AM on September 3rd. That’s one week from the date I booked my reservation! Was Celebrity acting in good faith when they sold non-refundable airline tickets for a cruise itinerary that they HAD to know was in the process of being cancelled?

• In the above referenced email to my travel agent, Celebrity specifically stated “Guests that booked air transportation through Celebrity Cruises will receive a full refund.” That same unambiguous statement appeared in a September 2nd press release published on Celebrity’s Facebook page. See https://www.facebook.com/notes/celebrity-cruises/royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-to-sell-celebrity-century-to-ctrip/10152739224126934. According to one posting, on September 14th Eric Jarman of Celebrity’s Social Media Support department denied that either of those documents even existed. One would expect the Social Media department to have been the one that published the Facebook press release! Are we looking at personal incompetence or something more sinister?

• Any suggestion that the statement “booking … through Celebrity Cruises” does not include reservations made through ChoiceAir would be ludicrous! The airfare charge on my credit card lists “Celebrity Cruises” as the payee. Celebrity is a sister company to ChoiceAir as reported in a posting by Host Andy http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1449882.

“There is a misconception that ChoiceAir is either a 3rd party website or fulfillment agency or fulfillment agency. This is not the case. It is a department within RCCL using RCCL technology, and the types of reservations systems used by travel agencies, airlines, and consumer sites around the world.”

• Several Forum members posted that Celebrity has been helpful in attempting to resolve issues between the cruise line, agents and passengers. Indeed, I did get full reimbursement. Did the rest of you? One person who contacted me directly said that she was given future cruise credit for the full amount. Multiple posts to this thread indicate that Celebrity continues holding to their position of not reimbursing the airfare in full. I’ll post a comment with on the cruise’s Rollcall page and provide a link to this thread to let others know that this issue has been resolved for at least a few customers. I think it would be incumbent on every travel agent to bring this discussion to the attention of their clients who cancelled this cruise (or kept it because) they were shortchanged on the airfare refund.

• To be fair, we have not yet heard Celebrity’s side of the non-reimbursement story. Though I can not imagine what extenuating circumstances would justify their continuing to refuse reimbursement after releasing an unambiguous press release to the contrary. Perhaps their (new?) policy of Caveat Emptor should be brought to the attention of an audience larger than the few people who stumbled across this thread on the Cruise Critic site. The court of public opinion can be a powerful force.

Lessons Learned from the process itself:

• The Cruise Critic staff does a great job of monitoring forum posts. There have to be a lot of nubies like me who inadvertently post something that is not in compliance with the Community Guidelines. In the interest of avoiding confusion, it would be very helpful if thread removal was a 2-stage process: 1) Remove the post 2) Notify the poster via email, perhaps using a canned response with a check-a-box reason code.

• I was pleased to see that Celebrity personnel monitor Cruise Critic postings and are willing to reply when appropriate. I responded to their request for information as soon as I saw it. However, looking at Cruise Critic is not my first order of business each day/all day. Checking my email is. It might be useful for Cruise Critic to provide cruise lines with an easy and efficient way to contact forum members who are citing problems that could be resolved by direct email contact.

• Members that include a signature block listing every cruise they have ever taken make it very cumbersome for readers to page through and follow the relevant text in postings.

I think it's a good idea to give things a little time to be resolved before immediately going to a public forum to complain. That way you might actually know whether it would have been taken care of without resorting to this. I guess you'll never know now.

Edited by Ma Bell

F

• Members that include a signature block listing every cruise they have ever taken make it very cumbersome for readers to page through and follow the relevant text in postings.

There is way to block signatures so that you don't see them. I don't know what it is but I'm sure someone will tell you how you can do that. :)

I think it's a good idea to give things a little time to be resolved before immediately going to a public forum to complain. That way you might actually know whether it would have been taken care of without resorting to this. I guess you'll never know now.

I believe the OP stated he (and/or his travel agent) had been told several times that no refund would be forthcoming, or at least not a full one. How many times do you think a person you go back to the company with "I know you said no but let me ask again" before resorting to social media? :confused:

Have you been reimbursed yet or are you still giving things a little time?

Final outcome: Celebrity has, indeed, fully reimbursed me for the airfare. Did postings to this thread influence the outcome?

Cruise Critic is an invaluable source of information and can serve as an unbiased watchdog for the consumer. I benefitted from comments that were both supportive and critical of my situation. Issues that came to light as a result of postings to this thread:

• The reason for the complete change in itinerary was purely to benefit the company. It was not because of unrest in the Middle East but because Celebrity had sold the Century and needed to deliver it to their Chinese buyer in Singapore. See http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5971. I booked my cruise and air reservations on August 26 and my travel agent was advised of the itinerary change in an email from Celebrity received at 10:56AM on September 3rd. That’s one week from the date I booked my reservation! Was Celebrity acting in good faith when they sold non-refundable airline tickets for a cruise itinerary that they HAD to know was in the process of being cancelled?

• In the above referenced email to my travel agent, Celebrity specifically stated “Guests that booked air transportation through Celebrity Cruises will receive a full refund.” That same unambiguous statement appeared in a September 2nd press release published on Celebrity’s Facebook page. See https://www.facebook.com/notes/celebrity-cruises/royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-to-sell-celebrity-century-to-ctrip/10152739224126934. According to one posting, on September 14th Eric Jarman of Celebrity’s Social Media Support department denied that either of those documents even existed. One would expect the Social Media department to have been the one that published the Facebook press release! Are we looking at personal incompetence or something more sinister?

• Any suggestion that the statement “booking … through Celebrity Cruises” does not include reservations made through ChoiceAir would be ludicrous! The airfare charge on my credit card lists “Celebrity Cruises” as the payee. Celebrity is a sister company to ChoiceAir as reported in a posting by Host Andy http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1449882.

“There is a misconception that ChoiceAir is either a 3rd party website or fulfillment agency or fulfillment agency. This is not the case. It is a department within RCCL using RCCL technology, and the types of reservations systems used by travel agencies, airlines, and consumer sites around the world.”

• Several Forum members posted that Celebrity has been helpful in attempting to resolve issues between the cruise line, agents and passengers. Indeed, I did get full reimbursement. Did the rest of you? One person who contacted me directly said that she was given future cruise credit for the full amount. Multiple posts to this thread indicate that Celebrity continues holding to their position of not reimbursing the airfare in full. I’ll post a comment with on the cruise’s Rollcall page and provide a link to this thread to let others know that this issue has been resolved for at least a few customers. I think it would be incumbent on every travel agent to bring this discussion to the attention of their clients who cancelled this cruise (or kept it because) they were shortchanged on the airfare refund.

• To be fair, we have not yet heard Celebrity’s side of the non-reimbursement story. Though I can not imagine what extenuating circumstances would justify their continuing to refuse reimbursement after releasing an unambiguous press release to the contrary. Perhaps their (new?) policy of Caveat Emptor should be brought to the attention of an audience larger than the few people who stumbled across this thread on the Cruise Critic site. The court of public opinion can be a powerful force.

Lessons Learned from the process itself:

• The Cruise Critic staff does a great job of monitoring forum posts. There have to be a lot of nubies like me who inadvertently post something that is not in compliance with the Community Guidelines. In the interest of avoiding confusion, it would be very helpful if thread removal was a 2-stage process: 1) Remove the post 2) Notify the poster via email, perhaps using a canned response with a check-a-box reason code.

• I was pleased to see that Celebrity personnel monitor Cruise Critic postings and are willing to reply when appropriate. I responded to their request for information as soon as I saw it. However, looking at Cruise Critic is not my first order of business each day/all day. Checking my email is. It might be useful for Cruise Critic to provide cruise lines with an easy and efficient way to contact forum members who are citing problems that could be resolved by direct email contact.

this might be one of the best responses ever from a person who started a thread with a specific problem...thank you for coming back and letting us know what happened and how it happened.

unfair - the OP stated he had been told multiple times that he would not be reimbursed.

To the OP -- Glad to hear that things worked out for you; thanks for letting us know. :cool:

Oh, and BTW -- if you don't want to see other folks' signatures, you can turn them "off" my going to "User CP" and clicking on "Edit Options". I think you can even take out attachments and avatars, if you just want to reduce what you are seeing to text.

A great post thread and I am personally happy that you have been 'satisfied' ---But I would also like to thank you for starting one of the more interesting and informative posts I have had the pleasure to follow on CC.

Good luck and hope the wind stays at your back.