Edge for inside stateroom cruisers, enough to do?

cgolf1

Really on the fence with our booking. We have mostly cruised inside rooms to stretch our vacation buck and always had lots to do while spending minimal money on board. The more I see with the Edge, the more I am starting to think that it may not be the ship for us.

Do you all think there will be lots of free activities on board and plenty of spaces for us to hang out? Really curious how much space they are allocating for the concierge crowd (DCL wording, we haven't sailed X yet so don't know the proper terms). Maybe I am worried about nothing, time will tell as they release more info.

Wow, you've been on lots of Disney cruises! Never been on one but presume they are very family friendly. Celebrity is our favorite line, but geared more toward adults in the mid 20 to 50 age range (very few kids). No rock climbing walls, ice rinks or bowling alleys ... but plenty of spaces, many activities and a great iced martini bar. Celebrity is more upscale than RCCL or NCL. What types of free activities are you expecting?

Wow, you've been on lots of Disney cruises! Never been on one but presume they are very family friendly. Celebrity is our favorite line, but geared more toward adults in the mid 20 to 50 age range (very few kids). No rock climbing walls, ice rinks or bowling alleys ... but plenty of spaces, many activities and a great iced martini bar. Celebrity is more upscale than RCCL or NCL. What types of free activities are you expecting?

We generally just like to hang out, watch shows, swim, and explore the ship. What I am worried about is that the edge is going to have a lot of exclusive areas, limiting what we will have access to. Not a complaint at all, we have done concierge on DCL, just trying to get a feel for what will be available.

Really wish they would speed up their reveals so we could make a decision.

Agree 100% about the roll-out. People will not book until they see what they will be getting when not in suites or having conferences. This is the slowest one I've seen yet. We are booked for January 2019 but are still holding out our options.

Celebrity caters to an older crowd but my grandkids have loved it also. From the time they were babies Celebrity has given them the high treatment. Most of the crew do miss their own children and will cater to all the kids.

We have had ships with young people, very old people and we are now getting to the "higher end" but still enjoy the cruise line. On this ship we might find a lot of new things to explore and, although we do not believe in that "upper class" section for way too much money, we are going to see how it goes. After this cruise we head across the dock to Silhouette where we know what we will be getting so a week exploring will work. Don't have to book it ever again is my thought.

I should also add we will be mid 40's at the time of the cruise and our daughter is in college so it will only be the two of us cruising. Celebrity is definitely high on our list of lines to try, just trying to decide if the edge is the first Celebrity ship to try.

In 2018 we decided to give a smaller RCCL ship a try, Brilliance, and scored a forward facing oceanview instead of Celebrity. With DCL we always preferred the feel of their smaller ships over the larger ones, and wanted to see if that feeling was the same with a different line.

The % of the ship open to all cruisers on Edge is actually quite high. They have simply taken those areas like the exclusive lounge and dining area availible to Suite passangers on S style ships and moved them into one area on Edge. They have also added an additional Suite pool area to releave some lounge conjestion at the main pool areas for the rest of us. It appears to me that all the exclusive areas for Suite guests have already been released. Those yet to be shown are the gym/spa areas, shops, and dining areas. The division of space is very similar to NCL. If you're not part of that exclusive group, you may never realize the "ship inside a ship" even exists!

The % of the ship open to all cruisers on Edge is actually quite high. They have simply taken those areas like the exclusive lounge and dining area availible to Suite passangers on S style ships and moved them into one area on Edge. They have also added an additional Suite pool area to releave some lounge conjestion at the main pool areas for the rest of us. It appears to me that all the exclusive areas for Suite guests have already been released. Those yet to be shown are the gym/spa areas, shops, and dining areas. The division of space is very similar to NCL. If you're not part of that exclusive group, you may never realize the "ship inside a ship" even exists!

This doesn't sound to bad. Of course compared to DCL, where all we had was was a lounge and a small sundeck that was special for the concierge it is a lot;). DCL really doesn't dedicate much to the concierge crowd, they could learn from other lines. Thanks for the thoughts.

ronbe65, you mentioned in another post that you hadn't seen Edge updates since the original suite reveal, yet you have a very "Debbie downer" approach toward the "lack" of public spaces. Studying subsequent reveals show that they have simply moved Luminae and Michael's Club (now called The Retreat) up to deck 12 next to the suites. That makes sense to me. As I said on a previous post, all the exclusive areas, I believe, have been revealed. The forward space on deck 14 (if they follow the "S" plan) will be the gym and spa. The forward space on deck 15 (like the "S" ships) will be the observation lounge - OPEN TO ALL - and the 180 degree view is restored! The other spaces yet to be revealed are the shops, food locations and the theater - all public spaces accessable by every cruiser . The only private space they've added is an additional pool/bar in the suite area, that takes conjestion away from the main pool and solarium pool. And they placed it above what will be the public observation lounge, taking nothing away from our space. That's my take on Edge.

Well, trying to match the different ship designs, looks like the forward part of the Solstice deck becomes the pool and bar area for the Suites on Edge. Bummer for you, but I'll bet not many people ever found that secret part of the ship! I read somewhere the next reveal is around Nov. 9. Let's see how close our guesses are.

Good news about the Sky Lounge (observation lounge) on deck 15 forward (not seen on the deck plans available - any link to a better ones? Thanks!)

Try cruise deck plans dot com

Join and get to see pictures (very inexpensive)

Edited by bookitdanno
correct error

Last reveal was kind disappointing..

Meeting Rooms and Conference space..nothing very groundbreaking there...just a reminder X will continue to focus on educational and business seminars.

Patiently waiting for word on BLU. Spa & gym,

• 2 weeks later...
ronbe65, you mentioned in another post that you hadn't seen Edge updates since the original suite reveal, yet you have a very "Debbie downer" approach toward the "lack" of public spaces. Studying subsequent reveals show that they have simply moved Luminae and Michael's Club (now called The Retreat) up to deck 12 next to the suites. That makes sense to me. As I said on a previous post, all the exclusive areas, I believe, have been revealed. The forward space on deck 14 (if they follow the "S" plan) will be the gym and spa. The forward space on deck 15 (like the "S" ships) will be the observation lounge - OPEN TO ALL - and the 180 degree view is restored! The other spaces yet to be revealed are the shops, food locations and the theater - all public spaces accessable by every cruiser . The only private space they've added is an additional pool/bar in the suite area, that takes conjestion away from the main pool and solarium pool. And they placed it above what will be the public observation lounge, taking nothing away from our space. That's my take on Edge.

Maybe you've seen something I haven't but from the deck plans it looks like deck 12-16(maybe not 14) on the front of the ship are all for suite areas. Deck 15 specifically you mentioned doesn't show anything there other than the Villas, & the Suite Lounge Retreat. I'm pretty sure they won't have a public area in front of all that. It does say A Revolution is Coming.

Where did you see that deck 15 at the front is open to all?

Hi ORV - My thought was that they will probably follow a design similar to the Solstice ships with the gym and spa at the front of same deck as the solarium (deck 14) with the observation lounge, open to all (like Solstice), on the deck above that. After I found the picture of the spa entrance posted earlier, looks like the division of space will be somewhat different. However, as I previous suggested, all the special spaces for Suite guests have already been revealed. There is NO evidence to suggest that additional private space will be reserved for Suites. And I have never been on a ship that has no public viewing area in the front of the ship.

The Suites sundeck is on deck 16 and their retreat lounge is on the port side of deck 12, forward.

Look again, Luminae is on 12, The Lounge is on 15.

So basically at this point are you just surmising? I thought maybe there was some info you had seen that said there will be a public space there?

I guess it still comes down to wait and see what they reveal for that area.

ORV - I see Luminae @ The Retreat on deck 12 and you see The Retreat Lounge at the back part of deck 15 forward. So, we're both right. "Retreat" must be Celebrity's designation for the "Suite Only" area, like "Haven" is for NCL. Of course, we're all guessing at this point. But the "coming soon" spaces on 14 and 15 do look to me like gym/spa and sky lounge spaces. This thread started out with the concern that there wouldn't be enough public space for normal cabins. Sorry, I get a little crazy when the facts don't support that theory. Deep breaths everyone (including me). Let's see what is actually revealed.

ORV - I see Luminae @ The Retreat on deck 12 and you see The Retreat Lounge at the back part of deck 15 forward. So, we're both right. "Retreat" must be Celebrity's designation for the "Suite Only" area, like "Haven" is for NCL. Of course, we're all guessing at this point. But the "coming soon" spaces on 14 and 15 do look to me like gym/spa and sky lounge spaces. This thread started out with the concern that there wouldn't be enough public space for normal cabins. Sorry, I get a little crazy when the facts don't support that theory. Deep breaths everyone (including me). Let's see what is actually revealed.

Yes, I think you're absolutely right in Retreat being the term for their whole suite area, like Haven. It is used on quite a few of those decks.

My biggest concern is the huge push that Celebrity has toward the suite class and that affecting what happens at the front area of 15. Although I wouldn't like to see it, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that was also a suite area.

• 3 weeks later...
We generally just like to hang out, watch shows, swim, and explore the ship. What I am worried about is that the edge is going to have a lot of exclusive areas, limiting what we will have access to. Not a complaint at all, we have done concierge on DCL, just trying to get a feel for what will be available.

Really wish they would speed up their reveals so we could make a decision.

Hi. I'm new to Celebrity but want to know if above is proving true about the extra abundance of exclusive areas.

We usually sail NCL Haven and have two cruises booked on MSC for YC but this would be in an Infinite Balcony cabin.

I won't be sailing with my family, but my mom, who is a cruise snob and not sure if having noticeable exclusive areas will be a problem. The Sky cabin on a February 2019 sailing is $10K+ and that is not what we will want to spend, especially since I have an MSC YC booked for $4K+, although they are both VERY different experiences.

Thank you.

I think by grouping the exclusive Suite areas away from the main guest areas, the Edge design is actually much less "in your face" than the current arrangement on the Solstice class ships - because on Solstice, they carved Luminae (Suite-only dining venue) out of the existing MDR. Michael's Club (now exclusive to Suites) is also along the main traffic flow and used to be open to all. The Retreat on Edge is purpose-built, not a remodel like Solstice. The exclusive restaurant, bar and pool area will be much like the Haven on NCL. Most guests will never know it exists, and it gives more privacy to those Suite passengers who desire it.