Have you seen anyone argue over trivia or any game onboard?

I've seen a couple of the answers get challenged during trivia but so far most of the social hosts will just award them the point also. Ex: "who is the first person that meets Alice in Alice in Wonderland?" Answer was White Rabbit, but a guest pointed out that in the book it was the Chesire cat. Both answers were awarded the points. The hosts do their best at all times to try to make sure everyone has fun, it is on the honor system and some folks may not be so honorable but is it worth it to challenge anyone over a game?

We had that question too, and the host said there was controversy about that question. (Maybe as a result of your experience.) He also accepted the Cheshire Cat, which I did argue was completely wrong. I think he made the excuse that it was correct in some foreign translation.

Just the opposite for us on the Conquest this past December.

We played Sports Trivia-- each day for five days-- points were cumulative.

We and another team were very close going into the last day. We got back late from our excursion in Grand Cayman and missed most of the final session. Found out later that the other team tried to delay the start to see if we showed up-- really classy-- they were great people!

Not only that but the team that ended up in 2nd place actually gave us their SOAS!

What a fun trivia group it was!!

Sent From My IPad

They do have answers wrong but none of it worth shuttering over. Hair band trivia they played a Black Sabbath song which I came in second and the girl who eventually won got it right but they insisted it was Ozzy Osbourne. We just laughed and played on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

On our Dream cruise in February we had a guy and his buddy at EVERY single trivia game using their ipads to look up the answers. They were both Diamond and had recorded the answers to all the trivia questions on their cruises.

What they didn't have recorded they were using the internet to look up the answers.

I sat there and watched him every time.

The only trivia games they didn't win, were the "dynamic" ones where the host would play a song or a movie quote. It was completely random so they could look it up.

It got to the point groups of people were teaming up to counter these two buffoons.

I've not seen any arguing, but I have seen MANY cheaters!

:cool: Bill

On our last cruise, a couple sitting next to us were googling their answers with their smart phone.

They won the SOAS, but I wonder how much they paid in roaming charges?

We played a heck of a lot of Trivia with our friends we met on the cruise and were often a group of 7-9. We won a few times and lost quite a few times. The first SOAS we won there was a guy muttering about it being unfair because we were a massive team with Brits and Americans. LOL

We also won a trivia on the last sea day and the host already decided that he was giving the SOAS to the 2nd place family as we had won a few things. We didnt mind especially as by that time we had enough SOAS so everyone could take one home as a momento. We had also won enough cheap fizz by that time to celebrate our journey together with a cabin party. :D

After ship trivia and pub quizzes I have seen quite a few wrong answers...an good quiz master will give everyone a point. :)

Edited by Velvetwater

We always play trivia on different days on the cruise. We are super competitive people but have never argued, nor have we seen anyone argue. The closest thing was when there was a question about the color of the 3-ball (I think) in pool - the host actually had the answer wrong, and everyone in the bar corrected her which she then promptly accepted as the correct answer. Otherwise I just don't get it - it is not that serious!

I like to play the trivia games on cruises, but usually forget what time they are and miss them! One time on Magic, I was playing along with about 15 other people. The woman crew member who was working in the nearby coffee/ice cream/cake bar (can't remember what it was called) had apparently been on duty every time trivia was played, and was calling out the answers! In spite of reprimands by the crew member hosting the trivia and several of the players, she kept on doing it and ruined the game for everyone! Don't know what her problem was, but she definitely had one.

I just don't get the broohaha over a cheap plastic ship trophy We play to have fun and meet people and ...laugh! Since we are taking My Mom on her first cruise and she has Alzheimer's it would probably be fun to win one and give it to her or a child nearby. We have come to love the trivia games and work our own brains and have never won a ship on a stick. Yes we have seen the 20/20 people with their i phones and if it means that much to them then they can pay roaming charges and pay $20 in order to win that $1.00 ship. We just laugh at them.

One of the reasons we play Scrabble at home is to expand our vocabulary. You always learn a new word or two playing with someone new. Our house rule is that you have to use a word in a sentence (reinforces the proper use).

On a recent cruise, a player used a word that nobody had ever heard. We asked her to use it in a sentence... She huffed that she 'didn't have to', that she didn't 'have to know what it meant' or even whether it was a noun or verb. Talk about taking all the fun out of the game.

We've also had people come in to the room claiming to be novice players of whatever game it was, then whup the whole room. All for a "24-karat solid gold plated plastic piece of ship on a stick" Say THAT three times fast!

Just got back from Valor S Caribbean. My 8 year old son really wanted to do the Parent-Child Scavenger Hunt. We showed up at 430 on a port day to do it.....only 1 other tram....mother-daughter from Missouri. Long story short, one challenge was to take a picture of every deck name between 1 Riviera and 11 Spa, without using the stairs. Both teams met this challenge they started at 1 and walked up to 11.....we deliberately did the opposite thinking it would be quicker. We also got one extra item they did not and won.....she protested vehemently but the Camp diector said we won.

I offered to shake their hands but she turned and waked away complaining. I offered to the Camp director to forfeit if we were wrong, but she said there was no condition of a particular order......

Did trivia for the first time last cruise, it was just me and a woman and her son, she was just helping him. It was the mind teaser one, some I had heard before just in general, but it was obvious the mother had played on Carnival before as during the answer portion she often said oh that's right I forgot that one, etc. No big deal it was all for fun, and kudos to her memory...lol...fyi I have a good memory too so just fingers crossed I get same questions on a future cruise. :D

On our last cruise, my hubby, son and I all went to a Disney trivia game where they played bits of music from different Disney movies. The only two I got wrong were when they played music from *Bambi* and *Fantasia* (I got them mixed up..thought the *Bambi* one was from *Fantasia* and vice versa).

One woman who'd been sitting there the whole time gave me this look. "How on EARTH do you know all these answers?"

Easy. Disney is my "thing". Some people are into football or baseball or World of Warcraft or a certain TV show. Disney is just the thing t hat I'm into. I've seen nearly ever Disney movie (animated and live action) at least half a dozen times. I can spout trivia left right and center all day long.:D

Some of the best entertainment on the ship is just sitting and watching them play trivia - the cheaters, the sore losers, the know it alls, and the fights.

All of this over a lump of plastic that probably costs Carnival 2 cents a piece in bulk. It is a sad state of affairs when ones knowledge and accomplishments are represented by plastic trophies on a cruise ship.

I seem to remember a verrrrrry long thread in the Floataway lounge about Trivia.

I enjoy trivia (and am fairly good) I may get upset and challenge an answer given by the host. Usually, I get others to agree with me, but have realized that I have to give the answer that the host expects. (for example, what country is St. Andrews Golf Course in? Technically it is the United Kingdom, but the host wants Scotland) I particularly get annoyed when a geography question is obviously wrong. (I own a map store and have a Master's in Geography, but for some reason they ask questions that aren't really geography--like what country is the home of the first cruise ship? Bahamas was the registry, but the true answer was Denmark, I think)

On a Celebrity cruise, as lady always brought in a massive binder filled with trivia questions and answers from several dozen cruises she had been on. That is simply cheating.

But, I realize that it is a game. As long as I win one ship, I am usually pacified.

It doesn't make sense to me why the same set of questions are re-used. There are so many sources of trivia questions that there's no reason why you should ever hear the same one. Hell, just buy a couple different copies of Trivia Pursuit and you'll have a couple of years' worth of trivia questions.

We cruise a lot and we love the trivia contests. I agree with the other poster that said it is fun to watch the players and see those that get upset etc... And yes, there have been times when we have heard the questions before. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't but if we obviously win because we have heard before we normally surrender the prize to the next best players.

Like it was said- how many ships do you need? If we take one home that's enough.

A couple years ago we were playing Disney trivia and there was a little girl there playing next to my Disney freak of a wife... The little girl had many of the answers correct but had trouble on the older movies. So my wife gave her the answers and the little girl won. She was sooo excited to get that SOAS. Last year we went cruising again and lo and behold that same girl was on the cruise and came up to my wife and thanked her again for helping her. So obviously it meant a lot if she still remembered my wife.

I play for the enjoyment of the game. Last cruise I had a goal of winning more than one SOAS. I did. After I won the second one, I continued to play the trivia games because I enjoyed playing, and with no intention of accepting another trophy.

Lo and behold the last game I played for the week, it came down to me and a little girl playing with her mother. we had to go to a tie-breaker and i won. I told the host to give it to the girl, which she did, and the girl was thrilled to have won the SOAS.

I got up and walked off and a few minutes later, the host found me and gave me a SOAS for being so nice. I didn't even want another one but felt I had to accept her gesture.

We had that question too, and the host said there was controversy about that question. (Maybe as a result of your experience.) He also accepted the Cheshire Cat, which I did argue was completely wrong. I think he made the excuse that it was correct in some foreign translation.

I would think the controversy would be over the fact that neither the White Rabbit nor the Cheshire Cat is a person!

Trivia on the Splendor last week seemed to be very good natured. I was one point shy of winning 3 different trivias (80s, Musicals, Name That Tune) but finally won one for TV Show Theme Songs.

I would think the controversy would be over the fact that neither the White Rabbit nor the Cheshire Cat is a person!

I edited out from my response the pedantic observation that the first "person" (non-animal) Alice meets is the Duchess. Furthermore, the first character she "meets" is not the White Rabbit. She sees him first, but he's not the first to who she talks to. That would be a mouse, when she's swimming in the Pool of Tears created when she was larger. But anyway you look at it the Cheshire Cat is not the right answer.