Have you seen anyone argue over trivia or any game onboard?

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anyone argue with the entertainment staff over trivia and activities.

I have seen a person at guest services before complaining that they should have won a trivia before.

I wonder if guest services has any ships on a stick behind the counter to give to people that are mad because they lost to make them a little happier? (For that persons sake the trivia question was a little unfair.)

Edited by thecruiserofships

I've seen a couple of the answers get challenged during trivia but so far most of the social hosts will just award them the point also. Ex: "who is the first person that meets Alice in Alice in Wonderland?" Answer was White Rabbit, but a guest pointed out that in the book it was the Chesire cat. Both answers were awarded the points. The hosts do their best at all times to try to make sure everyone has fun, it is on the honor system and some folks may not be so honorable but is it worth it to challenge anyone over a game?

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anyone argue with the entertainment staff over trivia and activities.

I have seen a person at guest services before complaining that they should have won a trivia before.

I wonder if guest services has any ships on a stick behind the counter to give to people that are mad because they lost to make them a little happier? (For that persons sake the trivia question was a little unfair.)

They're stored in the entertainment office, right next to Guest Relations.

OMG... fighting over a SOAS.... It is amusing to watch this occur on the cruises... :)

Yes, sometimes the cruise folks have the wrong answers... But they are usually very good about handling those issues.

Argue? Yes.

Get mad and storm off? Yes.

On our last cruise, we attended a lot of trivia games (and even won 3 SOAS). As answers were given, one lady argued about an answer, got mad, slammed her pencil down, and stormed off with several derogatory comments. Made for a few uncomfortable moments until the staff person calmly got things back on track.

Yep - And it was the winners who were arguing. They won for Super Trivia and were ticked off that their ship on a stick wasn't inscribed with their accomplishment.:rolleyes:

Yes last cruise I was on. I tried with some last over meaningless trivia. I think it was stupid laws or something. I won the tie breaker and she and her family became unglued and wanted to argue. One even was screaming she is a school teacher and the staff needs to learn what they are talking about. It had something to do if something is a fruit or vegetable don't really remember. Apparently this was not their first argument of the cruise. They were one of those families that walk around with a ship on a stick. I just shook my head and walked away. Thought if the price of plastic was that important to them I should have just gave it to them. If it was a little kid I would have.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

OMG... fighting over a SOAS.... It is amusing to watch this occur on the cruises... :)

Yes, sometimes the cruise folks have the wrong answers... But they are usually very good about handling those issues.

We played once on the Dream and the Social Host had every single answer he had was wrong. It was Urban Myth Trivia and we were supposed to guess if it was a myth or not. Well he had every single answer opposite of what it was supposed to be. EVERYONE playing was telling him he had the answered backwards and he would not listen and practically had a temper tantrum. He did not like being told he was wrong and did not handle it well at all. He ended up just putting two SOAS on the stand and leaving in a huff. We all just kind of sat there and looked at each other like wth was that? It as very bizarre!

Edited by MissKIA

I've not seen any arguing, but I have seen MANY cheaters! On our 15-day cruise to Hawaii in 2012, we had a guy win the covetted "ship on a stick" during the trivia on the first day at sea. Two days later, a different Carnival crew member asked the same questions at trivia, not knowing they had been asked before. And guess who won the game? Same guy! But not to be outdone, it happened a third time before we returned to San Diego, with the same guy winning, yet another, trophy. And not once did he consider giving the trophy to someone else that DESERVED it. I guess he wanted everyone at home to know how "smart" he was by bringing home at least 3 trophies. I guess it takes all kinds!

:cool: Bill

As a "Diamond" frequent cruiser, I too, have heard many of the questions over, and over, and it would be quite easy to "snatch" the coveted Ship on a Stick. I usually let someone else have it, or occasionally, if there is a youngster playing, I'll go ahead and take it, but present it to the child. I've got lots and lots of Ships on a Stick, but 99% of mine were won by singing. I sing MUCH better than I am smart! ;)

"SKY"

We played once on the Dream and the Social Host had every single answer he had was wrong. It was Urban Myth Trivia and we were supposed to guess if it was a myth or not. Well he had every single answer opposite of what it was supposed to be. EVERYONE playing was telling him he had the answered backwards and he would not listen and practically had a temper tantrum. He did not like being told he was wrong and did not handle it well at all. He ended up just putting two SOAS on the stand and leaving in a huff. We all just kind of sat there and looked at each other like wth was that? It as very bizarre!

wow he needs to find a new job

No on a Carnival vessel? On a Holland America vessel, yes!

The cruise staff member running trivia was incompetent: not just in running the game but in nearly every other facet of his job that I observed. Why he was ever hired is something I never have understood. He must have "known somebody who knew somebody".

Many of his questions "answers" were flat out wrong. The way he handled "challenges" to such answers lacked any public relations skills.

Trivia is a game that I enjoy as long as it does not become a blood sport. In my opinion, some players take it far too seriously regardless of what the prizes may be. When I see that it is becoming too serious, I will find another pleasure to occupy my time during the period when trivia is being played--or fought over.

Did trivia for the first time last cruise, it was just me and a woman and her son, she was just helping him. It was the mind teaser one, some I had heard before just in general, but it was obvious the mother had played on Carnival before as during the answer portion she often said oh that's right I forgot that one, etc. No big deal it was all for fun, and kudos to her memory...lol...fyi I have a good memory too so just fingers crossed I get same questions on a future cruise. :D

It had something to do if something is a fruit or vegetable don't really remember.

My first thought is question/answer would be - tomato - fruit. My second thought is, I would like to throw some of my rotten ones at the idiots lol... :p So take that and your little dog as well! Oh, and find a nice place to stick that plastic ship as your reward. :D

For the longest time, I coveted a SOAS and on my last cruise I won 3. It was too much and I gave 2 away. One per ship is plenty fine for me....

I guess since I don't play trivia, I never noticed these ship. Anyone have a picture?

Yes. There was a song in Malt Shoppe Name that Tune. The song was well known by one singer but the entertainment staff insisted on the lesser known performer on the CD, whom no one had heard of! I'm sure a lot of people would have gotten one point more!

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

As a "Diamond" frequent cruiser, I too, have heard many of the questions over, and over, and it would be quite easy to "snatch" the coveted Ship on a Stick. I usually let someone else have it, or occasionally, if there is a youngster playing, I'll go ahead and take it, but present it to the child. I've got lots and lots of Ships on a Stick, but 99% of mine were won by singing. I sing MUCH better than I am smart! ;)

"SKY"

Why would anyone want more than one sos of a ship? In Feb on Glory won one and than the second time I won gave it to the second place finisher.

Why would anyone want more than one sos of a ship? In Feb on Glory won one and than the second time I won gave it to the second place finisher.

It's nuts! You can but them on E-bay. People freak out over the dumbest crap! :rolleyes: