Are collapsible coolers really waterproof?

bunchesofun

My collapsible cooler has been on six cruises and a unknown number of trips and has no leaks yet. . Every steward but one had kept it filled with ice. Had two who would refill it when it got low on drinks. The one who wouldn't filled it meet him on the third day and told him that each day he didn't fill it was cutting into his tip.From then on he had it filled:D.

Paul

It shouldn't leak.......but it will build up condensation due to the humidity.......we just stick a towel under ours........

The problem most people have is that when the ice melts they don't drain them.......they are made for ice not water........

Edited by victoryred

I always use to use soft coolers I was given as prizes or promotional gifts and they either leaked right away or started leaking after minimal use.

If you spend a little bit of money ($20ish) to buy a nice one they typically will not leak or sweat much if at all. Almost all of them however have a tendency to leak through the zipper if there is water in them and you tilt them too much.

The one time we tried to take a collapsible cooler, it leaked! We ended up keeping it in the shower (when we weren't using it!). Otherwise, it was a mess! Maybe a more expensive one would have worked?

I think you are right, our cooler was about 55.00 and its worth it, it doesnt leak at all nor do we have to put any towels around it.

Got a nice, fairly large, cooler from BJ's with a canvas exterior. Heavy plastic lining and really keeps the ice for a couple of days, as long as it's not sitting in the sun. Was only about $10. Folds flat to fit in my luggage. Get's just a little damp on the bottom. Will only leak through the top zipper if I tip it. Also has a small sandwich size side zipper (try saying that three times fast) pouch to keep dry stuff.

Edited by mcwebber

We use a polarbear cooler, it doesnt sweat and it does not leak. It folds down and it easy to pack. Last July we took it and our cabin guy (who was wonderful) kept it full of ice. We bring our tervis and that keeps everything cold while out in the sun!

What size of polarbear cooler can you take on the boat? The 6 pack or 12 pack one?? I was wanting to order the 12 pack one, but didn't know if it would be too big and didn't want it to get confiscated. Thanks!

What size of polarbear cooler can you take on the boat? The 6 pack or 12 pack one?? I was wanting to order the 12 pack one, but didn't know if it would be too big and didn't want it to get confiscated. Thanks!

Put it in your checked luggage.

When we use soft-sided coolers (not just on cruises) we put the ice in zip lock bags. I always travel with them, so just load the ice up in those and throw them in the cooler. No worries about leaking. Or keep the cooler in the shower, or out on the balcony. Either way works.

If you are using it only for stateroom storage then pack a large trashbag as well and just use it as a liner. That should take care of any leaking worries.

I've never, ever, had my Igloo cooler leak on any sailing, but I say a big DITTO on the great (and simple) idea he just offered. :)

I believe its supposed to be something like 12x12x12 but ours is larger, we dont use it till we are in the cabin, we just pack it with our checked luggage, it folds up neatly, Im sure the our cabin person likes the fact it doesnt leak at all, just makes it easy for them. Not to mention, we get a lot of use out of it at soccer games, have a daughter playing college soccer, it even has a bottle opener hooked on it

I believe its supposed to be something like 12x12x12 but ours is larger, we dont use it till we are in the cabin, we just pack it with our checked luggage, it folds up neatly, Im sure the our cabin person likes the fact it doesnt leak at all, just makes it easy for them. Not to mention, we get a lot of use out of it at soccer games, have a daughter playing college soccer, it even has a bottle opener hooked on it

The 12 one is fine!

If you are using it only for stateroom storage then pack a large trashbag as well and just use it as a liner. That should take care of any leaking worries.

I used a kitchen size bag in my cooler recently and it worked great and the steward worked with the liner like he had done it many times before. No leaks.

We had a collapsible cooler that we got at Sam's club before our first cruise.

It lasted through 7 cruises before it started to leak a little. (we just put a towel under it each day after it was filled)

We bought some hard side coolers that look like rolling luggage for our last two cruises.

We just pack them with towels, clothes etc... then fill them once onboard.

Stewards seemed to like them better. (since they has wheels)

Bill

Here's the one I got at BJ's for $10. Although I don't think they sell it anymore, or at least, last time I was there they didn't have them. Maybe they'll come back for spring.

http://www.californiainnovations.com/products/ci/Coolers/45-can-live-green-reusable-thermal-tote/

Didn't leak and didn't sweat. Folded up nice and flat for my suitcase and became padding for stuff in the suitcase going home.

Found it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00314FBVA?ie=UTF8&tag=4sarasotacom&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00314FBVA

Edited by mcwebber
link

2000003027.jpg

This is what I have, use it for my carry-on, (soda, wine, clothes, etc..) then have it filled with ice once in the room. Folds down to fit in your suitcase, and has successfully made it through as checked airline luggage when I have run out of room. Picked it up at Walmart for about $20

has never leaked and the ice will last 2-3 days if you keep it closed.

Edited by caracol