Food brought off the ship

momof3cruisers

I assume, fruit and probably any types of prepared food such as a sandwich cannot be brought off the ship. But what about things like Goldfish crackers or granola bars in my backpack? (into ports.). I have two boys who get hungry pretty much 24/7 and I am hoping to be able to tide them over if we are in the middle of doing something. The one turns into a major grouch when he gets hungry.

Thanks for any info. Just going to Freeport and Nassau btw.

I assume, fruit and probably any types of prepared food such as a sandwich cannot be brought off the ship. But what about things like Goldfish crackers or granola bars in my backpack? (into ports.). I have two boys who get hungry pretty much 24/7 and I am hoping to be able to tide them over if we are in the middle of doing something. The one turns into a major grouch when he gets hungry.

We just cruised with our little one and didn't have any problem. Sealed packets of crackers or Pringles are fine, as are individually wrapped granola bars. You are correct that the fruit should not be transported off the ship into different countries.

Seems like most think that is prepared food. I will bring our snack bags and if they need to take it, we'll manage.

Thanks for all the feedback!

We don't do it with fruits, sandwiches and such because it's a hassle to carry. But bear in mind they don't search you going off. If you're holding fruit in your hand they will make you throw it away.

The xray machine is for getting back on, so they can screen for booze and other items that are not allowed.

Carole

And there is lots to eat on both Freeport and Nassau. Including lots of food you will recognize. No reason to go hungry.

Sounds good! I just figure if we are on the beach or walking along a quick granola bar is a good time (and money) saver. They aren't picky and I am sure we will want to try some fun port food too!

And there is lots to eat on both Freeport and Nassau. Including lots of food you will recognize. No reason to go hungry.

But it's super expensive!!

Granola bars are really cheap.

While I don't recommend breaking the rules, they don't search you getting off. You just put your card in the slot and *bing!* you're off!

We don't do it with fruits, sandwiches and such because it's a hassle to carry. But bear in mind they don't search you going off. If you're holding fruit in your hand they will make you throw it away.

The xray machine is for getting back on, so they can screen for booze and other items that are not allowed.

Carole

At one of our stops in Cozumel there were men in uniforms with dogs checking for food as you got off the ship.

And the cereal boxes at the breakfast buffets are a suggestion for what to take off the ship with you that won't cost you anything extra.

I do this sometimes, as emergency food, though I have never needed it!!! lmao. Like a couple of boxes of fruit loops or something that is large enough you can hold it in your fingers.

Carole

It's also against the law in most ports to bring it in .. not just because its a hasssle .. its against the law in many countries who are trying to keep fruit and other pests out.

I am not for breaking laws that you can avoid so easily.

It's also against the law in most ports to bring it in .. not just because its a hasssle .. its against the law in many countries who are trying to keep fruit and other pests out.

I am not for breaking laws that you can avoid so easily.

I agree, and I don't do it, but they do not search that I have ever seen, people getting off the ship. And a few candy bars or some bagged crackers are not going to ruin the ecosystems.

And I've heard a lot of posters on here say they ordered sandwiches from room service and wrapped them to take with them, we like to try the local food, but it's been and is being done.

Tazco, I've seen officers and dogs doing random drug searches but never checking for food, not saying it didn't happen, but I've never seen it.

At one of our stops in Cozumel there were men in uniforms with dogs checking for food as you got off the ship.

I seriously doubt it. Dogs have to be trained for specific items and it isn't cheap. There is no such thing as a generic food dog.

I have never seen a dog in Mexico sniffing each passenger, but if so, it was likely for specific drugs. Or they simply could have been part of a canine unit trained to obey commands to aid the police.

well i never had any troubles, we took off sandwiches in our baggies from the ship that we had made at the deli on ship, even a few pickles, took lemonade in drink bottles, even a fruit as wanted to feed some of the animals with it but forgot, and some of the chocolates the room attendant gave us it saved us for spending extra in the ports and at the airport afterwards (except the lemonade couldn't get through customs at airport lol)

well i never had any troubles, we took off sandwiches in our baggies from the ship that we had made at the deli on ship, even a few pickles, took lemonade in drink bottles, even a fruit as wanted to feed some of the animals with it but forgot, and some of the chocolates the room attendant gave us it saved us for spending extra in the ports and at the airport afterwards (except the lemonade couldn't get through customs at airport lol)

US Customs declaration asks:

11. Mark an X in the Yes or No box. Are you bringing with you:

a. fruits, plants, food, or insects?

b. meats, animals, or animal/wildlife products?

c. disease agents, cell cultures, or snails?

d. soil or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?

US Customs declaration asks:

11. Mark an X in the Yes or No box. Are you bringing with you:

a. fruits, plants, food, or insects?

b. meats, animals, or animal/wildlife products?

c. disease agents, cell cultures, or snails?

d. soil or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?

Just mark "NO" even if you bring food back or not.

Just mark "NO" even if you bring food back or not.

Sure. Great idea. They're probably just joking anyway.

Sorry but I'm really not big on lying my way through imigration and customs.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/oct/10/foreign-insects-diseases-find-way-into-us

420111010213744001_t160.JPG

Records show the number of border inspections and pest detections plummeted for several years, weakening the country's protections against foreign bugs and costing the nation's $1 trillion farming industry more than any U.S. terror incident since 9/11
While not as dire as terrorism, the threat is considerable and hard to contain.

Many invasive species are carried into the U.S. by people who are either unaware of the laws or are purposely trying to skirt quarantine regulations.

The hardest to stop are fruits, vegetables and spices carried by international travelers or shipped by mail.

If tainted with insects or infections, they could carry contagions capable of devastating crops.

Food brought off the ship in foreign countries is not subject to US laws, period, despite what some alarmists may indicate.

Fruit is usually not a good idea, although many islands produce no produce which could be threatened.

Packaged and cooked goods are usually not a problem. Nothing of what you suggest should be a problem.

Carole

that is what I thought also, they do not scan or search getting off the ship, with the exception of going back in to the US.

We have taken food off to take to the beach, if we are unsure of what we will find, (cookies, chips, snacks, BLT) use common sense, if you do that it off the ship, make sure that you clean up and bag your own trash.

Archived