Food brought off the ship

momof3cruisers

I agree, and I don't do it, but they do not search that I have ever seen, people getting off the ship. And a few candy bars or some bagged crackers are not going to ruin the ecosystems.

And I've heard a lot of posters on here say they ordered sandwiches from room service and wrapped them to take with them, we like to try the local food, but it's been and is being done.

Tazco, I've seen officers and dogs doing random drug searches but never checking for food, not saying it didn't happen, but I've never seen it.

I know it is true, but can you see the dog handler that has to tell his buddies, what does your dog search for? "my dog searches for BLT sandwiches, and Fruit Loops"

But it's super expensive!!

Granola bars are really cheap.

While I don't recommend breaking the rules, they don't search you getting off. You just put your card in the slot and *bing!* you're off!

In Cabo last week there were uniformed (not police) inspectors ashore checking every carry-off purse, backpack, etc. on day-1, but they weren't there on day-2.

gary

I seriously doubt it. Dogs have to be trained for specific items and it isn't cheap. There is no such thing as a generic food dog.

I have never seen a dog in Mexico sniffing each passenger, but if so, it was likely for specific drugs. Or they simply could have been part of a canine unit trained to obey commands to aid the police.

I don't know...my dog could find food anytime, any place and her training was pretty bad!:cool:

While I don't recommend breaking the rules, they don't search you getting off. You just put your card in the slot and *bing!* you're off!

that is what I thought also, they do not scan or search getting off the ship, with the exception of going back in to the US.

We have taken food off to take to the beach, if we are unsure of what we will find, (cookies, chips, snacks, BLT) use common sense, if you do that it off the ship, make sure that you clean up and bag your own trash.

They definitely check the bags, purses etc. in Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta and do take out the fruit.

Here is a sign I saw on the Paradise before you go thru the "bing machines" to leave the ship.

GEDC2985.jpg

In Cabo last week there were uniformed (not police) inspectors ashore checking every carry-off purse, backpack, etc. on day-1, but they weren't there on day-2.

gary

Gary - Actually they were checking on day 2. My mom had her purse checked both days. But they may have been doing random searches on the 2nd day.

I seriously doubt it. Dogs have to be trained for specific items and it isn't cheap. There is no such thing as a generic food dog.

I have never seen a dog in Mexico sniffing each passenger, but if so, it was likely for specific drugs. Or they simply could have been part of a canine unit trained to obey commands to aid the police.

I haven't seen the dogs on a cruise, but I have in SFO and ORD after international flights. One time, a dog stuck his head in a woman's bag. The guy asked if she had food, and she said she had fruit from her hotel. "M'aam, can you please come with us?"

I haven't seen the dogs on a cruise, but I have in SFO and ORD after international flights. One time, a dog stuck his head in a woman's bag. The guy asked if she had food, and she said she had fruit from her hotel. "M'aam, can you please come with us?"

And she was never seen or heard again..

I know it is true, but can you see the dog handler that has to tell his buddies, what does your dog search for? "my dog searches for BLT sandwiches, and Fruit Loops"

ROFL, sounds like a job for my dog, she can find food ANYWHERE......... hey maybe a place like say, Grand Cayman will employ me and my food sniffing doggy!!! :D

They have those little beagles that sniff out fruit at the Miami airport now. Those dogs are super cute.

Coming back from Guatemala last year my freind brought back a giant piece of Mahi he caught and smoked. I told him no WAY he gets that through Guatemalan coustoms let alone US. It was even in carryon as we rarely check luggage on such trips. He got through no problem:confused: Still trying to figure that one out:)

Unless the food police have you targeted bring a collapsible cooler (like the ones Carnival gives to Platinum) and brin g a few deli sandwitches for the kids. Nobody is going to check your cooler on the way off the ship. The cost aside, I'd be concerned about eating or drinking anything on shore that didn't come pre packaged. I know there are good restuarants

We've eaten all over the third world with no GI issues. I doubt the cleanliness of food/servers' hands at Burgerking:)

Could well be but unless lots of Americans go there regularly would be leary.

Cozumel is only place we have been comfortable eating off the ship.

Did once have lunch in an indian village in Panama but they made it in front of you and we got to wash it down with beer that will of course kill any bugs.icon7.gif

I agree, and I don't do it, but they do not search that I have ever seen, people getting off the ship. And a few candy bars or some bagged crackers are not going to ruin the ecosystems.

And I've heard a lot of posters on here say they ordered sandwiches from room service and wrapped them to take with them, we like to try the local food, but it's been and is being done.

Tazco, I've seen officers and dogs doing random drug searches but never checking for food, not saying it didn't happen, but I've never seen it.

Well, maybe they were agricultural inspectors but they asked me if I had any food in my carry off.

I get that but still feel more comfortable that the U.S. restaurants have inspections/standards to pass.

I get that for sure, and across the board, I'm sure the average restaurant in the US is much cleaner than the average restaurant in Mexico, Belize, Thailand, Sengal, etc. That being said, you shouldn't be scared to try new things outside your confort level. Especially in touristy areas, the food is usually. Even outside touristy areas, you'e be amazed what kinds of weird, past their American due date foods you can eat without getting sick. I've eaten in some dive places all over the world and rarely had any issues.

Unless the food police have you targeted bring a collapsible cooler (like the ones Carnival gives to Platinum) and bring a few deli sandwitches for the kids. Nobody is going to check your cooler on the way off the ship.

Miss Swede has quite a few food allergies, so we need a more controlled environment to ensure we can pack some food items and take off the ship. Plus, we don't want to deal with any language barriers nor having to check ingredients listings (which could omit something) that could potentially cause a reaction.

If she didn't have allergies, we'd simply walk off the ship and eat at a restaurant in port.

I get that but still feel more comfortable that the U.S. restaurants have inspections/standards to pass.

That's all well and good but those plastic gloves used have more bacteria then any 3rd world country.

The workers in US fast food will sweep the floor, grab a rag to clean and then make your sandwich with the same gloves on.:eek:

That's all well and good but those plastic gloves used have more bacteria then any 3rd world country.

The workers in US fast food will sweep the floor, grab a rag to clean and then make your sandwich with the same gloves on.:eek:

And don't forget, cleaning the toilet

Archived