Studio Cabins

cruisinginmay

I am considering going solo on a cruise and staying in a studio cabin. Can anyone give me some feedback on them? I'm not very outgoing, so thought being able to meet other solo cruisers in the lounge would be helpful. What is the typical age group of the solo cruisers? I am a woman in my 60's, just would like to have other people to dine and do activities with, not looking to hook up!!!

You will find many likeminded people in the studios. The majority of people will be just travelling by themselves and looking for company on the cruise rather than anything more than that.

The solo meet up is great for this. Every evening all solo travellers (not just those in the studios) can meet up with an NCL employee as an organiser. They can organise meals, shows or other events as people want. They are very useful for arranging things.

The studios themselves are compact but comfortable. I've never actually stayed in one as I prefer to have an outside. The original idea was that they are more cost effective as there isn't a single supplement, but whenever I've sailed solo they have been similarly priced to others rooms. On the Escape I was in a large balcony room for only a little more money.

The solo meet up means that you don't actually need to be in the studios to meet other solos. The lounge is often quite quiet at other times I believe.

Edited by KeithJenner

The Studio units are "cozy" but aside from sleeping and cleaning up, I wasn't in mine frequently.

There is tons of storage. Put your luggage under the bed after you unpack. The toilet "room" has a motion sensor light, so if you're in there any extended period of time, the light will shut off on you. Just flail your arms around like a madman and the light will turn back on. :p

The Studio Lounge was a great way to meet people. The Solo gathering was at 6pm each night on the Epic. There's a bartender there from 5pm-7pm, and usually people arrived around then and talked about their experiences that day.

The Solo Host will usually put up a whiteboard with activities that the Solos can sign up for. Usually dinner or a show as a group, so you don't have to go alone. I did this a few times, but I tend to be a little bit more of a loner sometimes.

The Lounge also gets stocked a few times a day with snacks. Usually cereals, fruits, and pastries at breakfast. At lunch it varied from sandwiches to salads (in the small fridge) with fruits and cookies. Theres also a really nifty coffee machine you can get good coffee (or cappuccino, espresso) from FREE at any time of the day. So it was nice if I got up early, I'd run into the lounge, grab a snack and coffee, and head back to my room.

The age of the Solos varied from young to young at heart. I'm sure you'll find some like minded people and will have a very enjoyable time! :)

6D7B8025-1057-46C5-A33D-32490E5911E4.jpg.200e2881baf7f17938d0865498a74922.jpg

373AB6BE-B5EA-4D46-A590-361B6600A6BE.jpg.e6c1badaea895824808d0a44fe64f428.jpg

I am considering going solo on a cruise and staying in a studio cabin. Can anyone give me some feedback on them? I'm not very outgoing, so thought being able to meet other solo cruisers in the lounge would be helpful. What is the typical age group of the solo cruisers? I am a woman in my 60's, just would like to have other people to dine and do activities with, not looking to hook up!!!

I just finished spending 3 weeks in a Studio on The Getaway. LOVE THEM Will being booking a studio on The Bliss tomorrow. I am 70 and had a wonderful time. Going back in a few weeks.

You will find a wide age group in the studios.

The lounge is a good place to meet others. At least on The Getaway, there is a gathering for solos in one of the bars ( I think it is about 5:30 P.M.).

I stayed in a solo cabin on the Breakaway in October. The age range of people in the studio cabins and attending the solo meets was pretty diverse. There were people from their early 20s to mid 60s. Having the solo meet every night was really nice. The solo host was able to call ahead and book a table for the group as well as shows for anyone who wished to go.

I'm also not very outgoing (at least initially and in a group), but the solo host was great at facilitating conversation and by the third time I had dinner with the group, we felt like old friends.

The studio cabins are compact and very well laid out. I would suggest bringing hangers, since most of the storage space is in closets. But there is definitely enough storage.

The issue might not necessarily be meeting people or other solos so much as meeting people that you actually click with. Sometimes on cruises I meet people I click with and sometimes I don't. Good luck to you. I hope you meet some cruise friends. I have met several over the years that I've kept in touch with.

I am giving NCL a try on the Epic in March. Looking forward to trying the solo cabin, and very happy about not paying a single supplement. I am in my mid 50's.

Hey, looks like we're on the same cruise in March. I'm also going to be in one of the studios. Will say hi onboard I guess!

They look like claustrophobic coffins. No thanks.

If you have any flexibility with your dates, and you're not sailing at peak time, you can likely score an Inside or better for even cheaper than a studio.

It's a much nicer room, and you can still go to the solo meet up events. Unless access to a decent coffee machine and getting a plate of stale cookies leftover from the buffet put out in the afternoon is a "must have" perk for you, then do yourself a favor and avoid these overpriced shoeboxes.

If you have any flexibility with your dates, and you're not sailing at peak time, you can likely score an Inside or better for even cheaper than a studio.

It's a much nicer room, and you can still go to the solo meet up events. Unless access to a decent coffee machine and getting a plate of stale cookies leftover from the buffet put out in the afternoon is a "must have" perk for you, then do yourself a favor and avoid these overpriced shoeboxes.

Always such a ray of sunshine on this forum.

The studios are not claustrophobic in the least. There is plenty of room for one person.

Agreed that the studios aren't claustrophobic. They do a great job of laying out the cabin. The white bedding and walls make the room feel open and airy. The window that faces the internal corridor can have the blinds open or closed, which can also make the room feel larger. The carpeting around the bed area vs the hard flooring around the shower and WC help to make it feel like two distinct spaces. It's not huge, and I think a 10 day cruise will be my limit for the space. But it's certainly not a "claustrophobic coffin".

Always such a ray of sunshine on this forum.

The studios are not claustrophobic in the least. There is plenty of room for one person.

Just as some people think inside cabins are claustrophobic - many people enjoy them because you can sleep late and not be interrupted by the sunrise.

It is really a preference.

A mini suite can feel claustrophobic with 3 or 4 people - and you do get more space per person with a studio :)

Thanks for the info. I'm not as concerned about the cabin as I am finding other solo cruisers to eat with, do activities, etc. Not crazy about spending a lot of time by myself on the cruise! The feedback I have received about the lounge and the solo gatherings has been helpful.

Thanks for the info. I'm not as concerned about the cabin as I am finding other solo cruisers to eat with, do activities, etc. Not crazy about spending a lot of time by myself on the cruise! The feedback I have received about the lounge and the solo gatherings has been helpful.

I found that I was only as alone as I felt like being. I had dinner company any time I wanted it, and once some connections were made I had lunch company a few days too. I think NCL does a great job of catering to solos. You're going to have a blast :D

I am quite fond of the studio cabins, although I would be happier with a narrower bed and more floor space! In lieu of an outside view, I found that turning to Channel 22 on the TV gave me a feed from the webcam on the radar tower. (Very handy for knowing the day's weather)

The solo gathering varies on every cruise, and you never know who you might meet and whether you will click with them. I was on Epic once, and it seemed that all the other solo travellers were not actually travelling alone, but as little groups each in their individual cabin, and it made it hard to meet people. Certainly attending the gathering the first couple of nights is a good idea.

I'm only one person, and a relatively petite one at that, so I never feel claustrophobic in a studio cabin. I probably would feel claustrophobic or at least crowded if I had to share a room, even a balcony, with someone else. I don't necessarily think that an inside is a better option than a studio (unless it's a better price - $$$ rules).

I've never actually attended the organized studio lounge gatherings but frequently just drop in at various times during the day, usually when I'm coming or going to my cabin.

Just as some people think inside cabins are claustrophobic - many people enjoy them because you can sleep late and not be interrupted by the sunrise.

It is really a preference.

A mini suite can feel claustrophobic with 3 or 4 people - and you do get more space per person with a studio :)

you know you can close the curtain, right?

I was concerned about staying in a studio as I've always cruised in balconies, so I booked a 7-day cruise in an inside to see if I could handle the lack of natural light. I did just fine, so my next cruise was a 10-day on the Epic in a studio. LOVED it! It was the least bit claustrophobic and because it's so well designed it felt roomier than the slightly larger inside cabin. I'm 6'1", so we're not talking about a tiny person here.

I also enjoyed the studio lounge It was a nice quiet place to start my day with a cappuccino before heading out. It was nice having snacks so close and always having access to coffee that's much better than what you'll get at the buffet. Never once were the cookies stale.

As far as meeting people, there were several people from my roll call (be sure to check in with yours to start making connections even before the cruise) who were traveling solo so I attended the solo gathering only the first night just to see what was what and usually when I wanted to spend time with others they were people from our roll call. The solo host was great and always had dinners and such planned that people could sign up for. There was a wide age range of solos and most of them were 40+ up to at least 70 or so.

I've booked another studio for later this year and am very much looking forward to it.

• 8 months later...

Great news. When I contacted NCL regarding my handicap, they moved me to an ADA inside cabin from the studio I originally reserved. It has an ADA shower and enough extra room that I'm considering renting a scooter. My thanks to NCL.

Bill T

Honestly if I compare an standard inside to the studio I would go with the studio. The layout is much more effective. It may be smaller, but due to the position of the bed and fixtures it has a nice feeling to it.

The shared common area is also a plus. Around breakfast time, there is coffee, orange juice, yogurt, fruit and pastries. Is it breakfast? For some yes, for other not. However it is still nice to be able to grab a coffee in the morning with no lineups or crowds. That is especially the case for the EPICS on those port intensive routes.

During the rest of the day there is coffee and some snacks available.

You have some common tables and lounge area that is quite and uncrowded as a retreat.

Honestly if I compare an standard inside to the studio I would go with the studio. The layout is much more effective. It may be smaller, but due to the position of the bed and fixtures it has a nice feeling to it.

The shared common area is also a plus. Around breakfast time, there is coffee, orange juice, yogurt, fruit and pastries. Is it breakfast? For some yes, for other not. However it is still nice to be able to grab a coffee in the morning with no lineups or crowds. That is especially the case for the EPICS on those port intensive routes.

During the rest of the day there is coffee and some snacks available.

You have some common tables and lounge area that is quite and uncrowded as a retreat.

I was just moved from studio to inside but the only reason I'm moving is because it's an ADA cabin and the ADA bath will be very helpful. It's only 35 sq ft larger. I think I'd have been very happy in a studio, it doesn't resemble a coffin at all and it's less expensive for the solo traveler.. Just my opinion.

Bill T