Disembark at port before final destination?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:23 AM.
New York City
136 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Hi, fellow CC'ers~

My question most likely has been asked (and answered) before, but I was unable to choose the proper tag words to get posts that relate. So please forgive me if this is a "been there/done that" issue:

Will a cruise line allow you to disembark (for good) at a port that is not its final destination?

If I embarked with just a large carry-on, for instance, and did not require a baggage check-in at the time I came aboard, and if (for example) the cruise begins in Los Angeles, transits the Panama Canal, and continues on to Ft. Lauderdale, New York City, and--as its final destination--Boston...then may I get off at New York City with my carry-on and end my cruise at that point if I wish?

It seems self-evident that I could. After all, some people get left behind when they stay too long at a port; so it would seem likely that others could do that deliberately. But I was wondering if the cruise line would raise an objection if I were to let them know that this was deliberate on my part (I'd want them to know so they wouldn't assume I'd been left behind and go to any trouble trying to contact me or my emergency contact).

Anyone have any experience with this one?

Thanks!

Best, Sona
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Video of NCL Jewel "romance suite" (SF category) #10664 on our cruise to the Bahamas, 10/10/2010 to 10/17/2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPoiY9nRHcI
90,072 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Sona, my recommendation is to contact the cruise line.

Do not, I repeat do not rely on past experience.

The reason I say all this is on a recent cruise we had inquired about getting off at a particular port on a future itinerary we were looking at a senior officer explained to us that USA customs and immigration was frowning on this and that they would have to check to see if this can be done.

Again, check with the cruise line. And if they say yes make the arrangements with them while at home and reconfirm them very early on during the cruise. Try to get the confirmation for this in writing when you check on this from home.

Keith
Coastal GA USA
21,700 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
You will not have a problem with this. They may have others doing the same thing. Your cruise satisfies the PVSA by calling at a distant foreign port, so you could get off anywhere in the US. Just make sure you coordinate with the cruise line. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Fascination 10/8/17; Carnival Elation 12/11/17;Carnival Splendor 1/14/18
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Greenville, SC, USA
52,288 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
You will probably be allowed, but you must arrange in in advance. Just showing up at the gangway when you want to leave will not suffice
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
New York City
136 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Three very sensible responses, and I thank you.

I will do exactly that, in advance, when I'm planning to book a cruise that creates that kind of positioning situation.

There are a number of cruises, and cruise lines, that offer interesting itineraries--but they do not begin in my home port of NYC; some of them have NYC as a port close to the end (or to the beginning) of the itinerary, however, and I'd often rather be able to get off (or on) at NYC than have to travel one port farther and fly home--or, if it's at the front end of a cruise, fly to the embarkation port and then be cruised back to my home before the cruise continues on.

But I did understand what you wrote about the laws regarding foreign ports, so I will bear that in mind as well.

Thank you again!

Best, Sona
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Video of NCL Jewel "romance suite" (SF category) #10664 on our cruise to the Bahamas, 10/10/2010 to 10/17/2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPoiY9nRHcI
Norway
194 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Last cross Atlantic we did, we left the ship in Valencia, the port before end port which was Barcelona.
All that was needed, was an email to RCCL where I asked if I could do this..... and a verification when I came aboard that the ship had this information also.
Apparently they have regularly requests for this.
Of course, you still have to pay for the full cruise

Cheers, Erex
Moon Township, Pa
23,174 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by Erex
Last cross Atlantic we did, we left the ship in Valencia, the port before end port which was Barcelona.
All that was needed, was an email to RCCL where I asked if I could do this..... and a verification when I came aboard that the ship had this information also.
Apparently they have regularly requests for this.
Of course, you still have to pay for the full cruise

Cheers, Erex
There's a big difference when cruising in European ports. The US has laws that might preclude a passenger from leaving a ship early. Also, in some European ports, there are cabotage laws that prohibit such a thing from happening.

OP, you will have to pay for the full cruise, as they don't prorate cruises. But if it's only a day, it shouldn't be all that much. Plus, the cruise line will have to make special arrangements with US Customs and Immigration to allow you to disembark early.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Darcie
5,682 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by sonavogel
.....Will a cruise line allow you to disembark (for good) at a port that is not its final destination?
The answer would depend on the itinerary and at which port you want to get off.

If I embarked with just a large carry-on, for instance, and did not require a baggage check-in at the time I came aboard, and if (for example) the cruise begins in Los Angeles, transits the Panama Canal, and continues on to Ft. Lauderdale, New York City, and--as its final destination--Boston...then may I get off at New York City with my carry-on and end my cruise at that point if I wish?
For this itinerary, the answer would be Yes! You can even do it if you have a full set of luggage to take off with you. It would make no difference whether or not you checked in baggage at the time you came aboard.

But, as others have pointed out, it is important to arrange permission in advance to do this. Preferably get it in writing to avoid any confusion because you will need to clear customs at your disembarkation port.

We have even done this where we just unloaded some suitcases at a port before the final one and needed to get customs clearance for them.

For an itinerary such as the one you describe, there will probably be other passengers doing the same thing.
Vancouver BC
7,241 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by fleckle
The answer would depend on the itinerary and at which port you want to get off.

For this itinerary, the answer would be Yes! You can even do it if you have a full set of luggage to take off with you. It would make no difference whether or not you checked in baggage at the time you came aboard.

But, as others have pointed out, it is important to arrange permission in advance to do this. Preferably get it in writing to avoid any confusion because you will need to clear customs at your disembarkation port.

We have even done this where we just unloaded some suitcases at a port before the final one and needed to get customs clearance for them.

For an itinerary such as the one you describe, there will probably be other passengers doing the same thing.
To expand on this; the reason you can get off is because while the cruise itself is US-US, it makes a foreign distant port stop.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2017/04 Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Transatlantic
2016/05 Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Transatlantic
2015/09 Ruby Princess - Pacific Coastal
2014/04 Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Transatlantic
2012/11 Celebrity Equinox - Transatlantic
2011/09 Holland America Westerdam - Pacific Coastal
2010/11 Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas - Transatlantic
2008/12 Celebrity Mercury - Hawaii
2008/09 Celebrity Millennium - Northwest
2007/09 Island Princess - Pacific Coastal
2006/09 Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas - Alaska
2005/10 Celebrity Galaxy - Transatlantic
2003/11 Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas - W.Caribbean
4,782 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
We have disembarked prior to our final US port.
We cleared this with the cruise line insisting on getting their clearance in writing.
When we boarded we informed the Purser's office. The office may or may not have all of the paperwork from the home office until a few days into the sailing so don't get frustrated with the desk people.
The Purser's staff will tell you when you can disembark. They arrange C & I and you are at their whim. Be prepared to debark when directed.
Once you leave the ship you cannot return. Our sea pass cards were taken. This means that if you can't transport your luggage at one time, sorry you cannot go back to retrieve it. I realize you stated you'd only have a carry on but be sure you can handle it throughout the entire process. That may involve ramps and/or those metal steps aside the ship.
Enjoy your cruise and your NYC disembarkation.