Prinsendam will have new cabins after her 2010 drydock!

sodomojo

You heard it here first! She'll have 22 new cabins after her 2010 dry dock. 16 deluxe verandas, 2 verandas, and 4 inside cabins. Plus, there will be a new sea-view bar on the enlarged pool deck. That's all I can gather at this time...

Do you suppose they will simply convert the crew space on Main deck aft to passenger cabins? It looks like they could accommodate two corner deluxe verandah suites along with the others you describe. Assuming they do this, wonder where the crew will go??? Will they simply have fewer crew? I certainly hope not!

Perhaps the additional cabins will be accommodated in an aft overhang, a la the refurbed Veendam ... or some other cantilevered contraption.

I certainly hope not. One ship with a bulging aft is enough.

I certainly hope not. One ship with a bulging aft is enough.

Au contraire ... when they're done with the Rotterdam, that'll be two ships bulging over the wake. Yep, two too many! And, time will tell what HAL will do during drydock #2 with the other three ships.

I was jealous when my friends set off to meet Prinsendam in Greenwich for her July 4 cruise around the U.K.

Now I'm twice as jealous. They'll see her in her glory...if I ever sail aboard her, it will be post refit. :(

That's all I can gather at this time...

Please come back and tell us more as soon as possible. Please!

We'd love to know such things as where the new cabins will be, and what's going on with the aft pool area (which is kind of hard to get to). Any chance of a dome over the Lido pool? It needs it.

Oh, btw, since we're talking Prinsendam cabins, is my inside single still going to be there? I love that cabin!

I wonder where they'll put all those cabins? Interesting. I certainly hope they finally replace those smelly, smokey chairs in the Crow's Nest. They didn't after the last refurbishment and were definitely dirty and yucky no matter which side of the lounge you're on, even the non-smoking one.

I can just imagine what they're going to do to that beautiful vessel:

They'll tear off the beautiful cascading aft-decks and slap on an upright & boxy overhang a-la-Eurodam or Veendam...

Quite honestly, I'd rather see her burn in the Gulf of Alaska and sink like her namesake.

You heard it here first! She'll have 22 new cabins after her 2010 dry dock. 16 deluxe verandas, 2 verandas, and 4 inside cabins. Plus, there will be a new sea-view bar on the enlarged pool deck. That's all I can gather at this time...

Are you sure that all this construction can be completed in just 9 days when scheduled to be out of service?

Oh, what a shame! The Prinsendam is such a winner why risk messing that up with extra cabins (and the resultant extra people)? -- I would hate to see her lose any of her wonderful spaces and especially that elegant, classic ship profile. There are very few ships left that really look like ships and not like floating boxes.

I do hope they are not planning to do this in Jan, 2010 -- I would rather they wait until after my next cruise aboard this lovely lady. But they should certainly go ahead and do the important stuff like replace or reupholster those lounge chairs!

I can just imagine what they're going to do to that beautiful vessel:

They'll tear off the beautiful cascading aft-decks and slap on an upright & boxy overhang a-la-Eurodam or Veendam...

Quite honestly, I'd rather see her burn in the Gulf of Alaska and sink like her namesake.

It could be worse ...

She'd end up in Dubai, with her interior gutted, and the beautiful stack removed; rusting away on the dock next to her, marking my ships final resting place like a macabre tombstone.

Godspeed, and Good Luck RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 :(

Think of it this way --- There is a naval architect out there who designed the beautiful Prinsendam who has to see his creation redesigned by a bean counter who thinks that the aft of the Veedam is a work of financial artistry. How they can ruin one of the most beautiful ships afloat is beyond me. Someone at 300 Elliott Ave is probably pitching a wading pool and a big screen TV to add to the insult.

Are you sure that all this construction can be completed in just 9 days when scheduled to be out of service?

Maybe that's a good sign that this won't be like the recent ship manglings, but more of a remodeling of interior spaces. Or maybe they're slipping the Jan 13 sail date.

We'll have to wait for the new deck plans.

After seeing what HAL did a few years ago to Prinsendam with the addition of those aft suites...forget about it.....they will turn the ship into NORWAY ll......

Its a shame that business these days(and HAL / Carnivore) can't see that instead of decreasing quality(in this instance more passengers, less crew) and destroying the beauty of the original design of the product - they improve what they have......

we were planning a cruise w/HAL to Bermuda next year ...but after seeing the refit of Veendams aft pool area(one of my favorite spots at sea) and poor cruises with HAL recently we decided to fly & stay at a hotel instead..too bad but HAL has just turned into a product with very little appeal for us...(after sailing on HAL since teh mid 1970's)....

*sigh*

Whatever they do, it will destroy the clean lines the shop now carries.

Don't fret too much Jim there is only a limited amount of damage HAL bean counters can inflict on the Prisendam in 8 or 9 days. It's a very very short dry dock.

If in fact these additional cabins are to be installed I'm surprised that they are not included in deck plans now as immediately after dry dock the Prinsendam is scheduled to undertake two lengthy Grand Voyages.

Don't fret too much Jim there is only a limited amount of damage HAL bean counters can inflict on the Prisendam in 8 or 9 days. It's a very very short dry dock.

If in fact these additional cabins are to be installed I'm surprised that they are not included in deck plans now as immediately after dry dock the Prinsendam is scheduled to undertake two lengthy Grand Voyages.

Maybe there's going to be another dry dock late in 2010? Sodomojo, please come back and tell us when this dry dock will be, and for how long.

Archived