Friends of dorothy

davenew

Unfortunately, these are usually not well-attended, and nothing "special" is done. It's usually just a time and place set aside, and people may or may not show up. I attended one the first night of our NCL cruise while dh played blackjack and it was literally me and two other people, and no social hosts or anything showed up. I ended up making friends with the two guys who did show up, though, and we spend the rest of the cruise hanging out. Actually made a really boring cruise bearable!

On our last few Carnival cruises, it's been the same situation - 2 or 3 people will show up, see that no one is there, and leave. I'll try again on our cruise this Thursday!

Unfortunately, these are usually not well-attended, and nothing "special" is done. It's usually just a time and place set aside, and people may or may not show up. I attended one the first night of our NCL cruise while dh played blackjack and it was literally me and two other people, and no social hosts or anything showed up. I ended up making friends with the two guys who did show up, though, and we spend the rest of the cruise hanging out. Actually made a really boring cruise bearable!

On our last few Carnival cruises, it's been the same situation - 2 or 3 people will show up, see that no one is there, and leave. I'll try again on our cruise this Thursday!

If it is for gay guests, why where you there?

From wikipedia:

Starting in the late 1980s, on several cruise lines, gay passengers began approaching ship staff, asking them to publicise gatherings in the daily cruise activity list. As the cruise lines were hesitant to announce such things so blatantly in their daily publications, they would list the gathering as a "Meeting of the Friends of Dorothy". Such meetings have expanded in popularity and frequency over the years. Now, many cruise lines will have multiple "FOD" events, sometimes as many as one each night.

If it is for gay guests, why where you there?

FOD meetings are inclusive. Everyone is welcome.

Gays face discrimination every day so it wouldnt be quite right for us to discriminate against others would it? ;)

I applaud others for taking the opportunity to join in the gatherings and educate themselves.

From Wikipedia:

Most commonly "friend of Dorothy" has been linked to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is a gay icon. In the film, Dorothy is accepting of those who are different.

Gays face discrimination every day so it wouldnt be quite right for us to discriminate against others would it? ;)

I applaud others for taking the opportunity to join in the gatherings and educate themselves.

Ron, you are so right. When we go on our cruise in January I will go to one of the meetings. Thank you for your remarks.

I didnt learn what fod was until my 2nd cruise.....on my first cruise I was mad.....they shut down the bar I was in because fod.....so I asked, who is dorothy? and why is she so important she and her friends get their own bar...lol!!! I personally think its great now that I understand what it is...I think everybody should be accepted and be able to relax on a cruise....now lets do something for fat truck drivers!!!!! yay!!!

You will always be welcome. :)

I for one am glad that people are open minded enough to attend and not be afraid of someone different.

We have so many "someone different" in our society now that if we started to be closed minded we would never meet anyone. But I do not agree that being gay is different.

I am glad the OP brought this question up. I will look for the meeting times in my Carpers.

I had a very different experience on my cruise on the Triumph in Jan. 2009. Approx. 20 people showed up, gays, straights, lesbians, and friends. It was an amazing time for that hour and many of us became fast friends. We often layed out together, had drinks, and danced the night away in the club. A fee of them I have kept in close contact with and we are sailing togehter in 1.5 weeks

It can definitly be a hit or miss, but I recommend it to anyone!! You often have a lot of laughter and fun, while educating yourself and is an amazing way to "break the ice" with other passengers.

Well, it's technically a GLBT gathering, not just for gay and lesbian pax. But as has already been said, everyone is welcome to attend.

Thank you. I am glad the OP put this thread up and for you posting that you had gone to the meetings.

I will go to one in January.

On all our previous Carnival cruises, reading the Capers sheet, I have noticed a daily meet called "Friends of Dorothy".

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is please??:)

Thanks for all your answers. I now have an understanding of what this is, and will go to the one on Freedom.

My dw and I had a lot of laughs with a gay couple on the next table to us on Valor ;)

I wonder if it is because of where they meet? I noticed the listing for the Friends of Dorothy in the Capers. I knew what Friend's of Bill was, but had never heard of it. On the Glory, I believe that they met at a bar that was right in the thick of EVERYTHING. Perhaps they should try to meet at another location...just a thought...the Burgandy Wine bar is where they met on the Glory. Maybe folks don't want others to know their personal business....

• 4 months later...

It is, in fact a meeting for the gay and lesbian cruisers on board.. but unfortunately, I have tried to check them out several times but hardly anyone goes.. lets get a Carnival Rainbow and it can start the Gay Lesbian Branch of carnival cruising.. lol I would totally go.

We had a great time on our first Carnival cruise at the FOD get togethers. We were 6 gay men and a gray haired, short chubby lesbian. We met another group of 6 gay men with a gray haired, short chubby lesbian! It was a total Patty Duke Show moment, the two women looked like they could be sisters, similar glasses, hairstyles Hawaiian shirts, and flip flops!:D

We had a great time with these new friends. Our female tablemates had a great time hanging out with us as well.

We had a great time on our first Carnival cruise at the FOD get togethers. We were 6 gay men and a gray haired, short chubby lesbian. We met another group of 6 gay men with a gray haired, short chubby lesbian! It was a total Patty Duke Show moment, the two women looked like they could be sisters, similar glasses, hairstyles Hawaiian shirts, and flip flops!:D

We had a great time with these new friends. Our female tablemates had a great time hanging out with us as well.

I'm glad you were aware of Carnivals "6-gay" rule. You are allowed 6 gays for every chubby, gray haired lesbian. I think that rule is there to keep the bars hopping!

Everyone faces discrimination everyday--you could be fat, ugly, poor, handicapped, intelligent, rich or whatever. What exactly do I need to educate myself with? I resent people who think I'm stupid and need to be educated. Do I need to start a "resentment group?" :rolleyes:

Archived