Is Westerdam Gay Friendly?

cruisin475

My Partner and I are sailing on the Westerdam March 28,2010 We have noticed that HACL are in the top 10 for gay cruises, my question is posed to other gay/lesbian cruisers of the Westerdam.

1. Was it gay friendly?

2. If so or if not tell why.

3. Any other gay men on the Westerdam on 3-28-10

Thanks for your help :-)

We were on Eurodam, back-to-back January 30 and February 6. The day we disembarked, RSVP charter embarked for a week's cruise. They charter various ships and probably have at one time or another chartered on Westerdam.

The last time that I was on the Westy was in 2008 for a Panama Canal repo and it was VERY gay friendly. Not only were there lots of gay guests, but there is also a large partof the crew that is gay (a lot of the entertainment staff). I would say that the crew was very supportive - didn't bat an eye (but then again, they are chartered by Olivia and RSVP all the time) - and most of the guests were fine with it. You might have noticed in Joanie's recent Westy review she had a large group of men that adopted her and there was only 1 couple out of 1800 that made rude comments. Keep a look out in the "Let's Get Together" section of the Daily Program and it should list LGBT Meeting - it was always in a bar on the first or second night. This seems to be a great way to meet fellow gay cruisers. Have fun!

My Partner and I are sailing on the Westerdam March 28,2010 We have noticed that HACL are in the top 10 for gay cruises, my question is posed to other gay/lesbian cruisers of the Westerdam.

[/s)

See you on the 28th! My husband and I will look forward to seeing you!;)

The roll call has about 75 members, if you want to meet more of the people you will share your boat with

My wife and I have sailed on Westerdam and Zuiderdam and found HAL completely gay friendly. Not one single uncomfortable minute from staff or passengers. It's probably always a bit easier for lesbians than the dudes, but I'd say you have nothing to worry about with HAL.:)

Do come over to the March 28th roll call following the link posted earlier! We are planning a Meet and Greet event at 1PM on the first sea day (Tuesday). All on the Roll Call are welcome.

Here on the HAL board people can get all excited about baseball caps in the dining room, bathrobes in the Lido, or proper attire for formal night, but I think there is general agreement that to be concerned with someone else's choice in partners would be just rude and totally out of bounds!

Only SOME people on this board get excited about robes, caps, etc. I'm not one of them.

I was on a RSVP cruise on the Westerdam last year (Seattle to Alaska) and every crew member I came in contact with seemed perfectly fine with us :).

I consider all of HAL's ships to be gay friendly.

For at least the last 10 years Friends of Dorothy meetings have been announced in the daily schedule.

The feedback I have had from my gay friends is that HAL is fantastic.:D

On both of my Westerdam cruises there were gay couples and all seemed to be having a good time. One couple, though, was hilarious! One of the gentleman was in party mode every time I saw him. His partner, however, was more reserved and would just shake his head when the other half jumped up and started dancing (in odd places) or was basically the life of the party! What a great time we all had! Have a wonderful cruise!!!

I'll chime in and say that HAL across the board is gay friendly. One of my wife's and mine favorite memories of our honeymoon back in 1998 on the Ryndam was meeting and becoming friends with a gay couple from Virginia Beach. We had a great time with them and even exchanged cards and notes for awhile after the cruise though we've unfortunately lost contact with them. One fond memory, that still brings a smile even as I type this, was an evening in the Crow's Nest before dinner. Back in those days HAL always had a small four or five piece band, a crew band as I remember, in the Crow's Nest. My wife and I were dancing as were the gay couple. One of the guys tapped me on the shoulder to dance with my wife which was fine by me. I immediately wheeled around and took up the place with his partner and finished the dance. We all laughed and just had a great evening that night and for the rest of the cruise. They ultimately introduced us to other gay couples on the cruise, though it wasn't specifically an organized group, and made a number of cruise friends. Again, just one of those fond memories among many from our cruises.

I agree that HAL is very gay friendly. My partner and I have cruised aboard the Westerdam (2006), Eurodam (2008) and Zuiderdam (2009). We greatly enjoyed all three cruises. The Zuiderdam had two or three gay gatherings during our 10-day cruise, but they usually conflicted with our meal or show times.

Chuck

Now let me say this right?? I have been on many HAL cruise's and some the greatest people I have met are gay. I'll never forget going to the Chocolate Buffet and sitting with the most gracious two guys that I have ever met. I wish that someday I could have the pleasure of sailing with them again! HAL attracts the well traveled passenger and however they come is fine by me!:D

My DH and I were on the Eurodam in December and we saw a lot of gay couples, male and female. No one seemed to pay any attention. They were treated like everyone else as far as I could tell. There was something funny happened at the SeaView pool though. One sea day it was very crowded. Every lounge seemed to be taken. I walked round and round and finally found an empty one. I asked the people next to it if it was taken and they said no. No sooner had I sat down than a lady across from me (the lounges were placed in rows) beckoned me to come over. I did so and she asked very quietly if I knew the couple next to me were gay? I said, so what. She then said I should not sit next to them because I could "catch aids" from them. I could not believe she was serious, after all this is the 21st century. After telling her not every gay person had aids and furthermore, I was sitting with them, not having sex with them and I would "take my chances". She was shocked and said now I would spread it too. Later that night, my DH and I had a lot of laughs about this but also thought it sad that someone was that ignorant.

My personal opinion, live and let live and to each his own.

Archived