Secrets to getting best value for your accomodations in Oz?

We are planning a two to three night stay in Australia before our Cruise out of Sydney. Not nessisarily staying in Sydney, but might want to explore the country about 2-4 hours out from Sydney.

In the US we have probably three basic tiers of pricing for hotel. Motor Hotels, or motels can usally be had for around $65 to $70 a night. These are your basic 2* motels like La Quinta, Comfort Inn, Motel 6, Red Roof and Super 8. These are the types that are located not necessarily in a scenic resort area, but near the high way, or maybe an airport for a no frills overnight stay. Rooms are usually clean and comfortable, and sometimes even newly remodeled. Prices might be about double for the same chains in more urban or resort areas.

Next price is in the $100-$150 range. These are just a little bit nicer than the previous mentioned and might include a few more ammenities.

Then we get into the$200+ a night and these are you really nice chain hotels with full service, great locations, lots of services (that we probably wouldn't use.) Might include and upscale restaurant or bar.

So I have been doing general surfing, and having trouble finding something similar in price to that first tier of motels. For super cheap, which I don't think is quite what we want, I am finding back packer door accommodations. Then everything else seems to be pretty much $150+.

If that is what we have to budget, we can plan for that, but I was just wondering if Australia has chain motels or B&B that are more in line wit that first tier. If so how do I find them.

Thanks.

We are planning a two to three night stay in Australia before our Cruise out of Sydney. Not nessisarily staying in Sydney, but might want to explore the country about 2-4 hours out from Sydney.

In the US we have probably three basic tiers of pricing for hotel. Motor Hotels, or motels can usally be had for around $65 to $70 a night. These are your basic 2* motels like La Quinta, Comfort Inn, Motel 6, Red Roof and Super 8. These are the types that are located not necessarily in a scenic resort area, but near the high way, or maybe an airport for a no frills overnight stay. Rooms are usually clean and comfortable, and sometimes even newly remodeled. Prices might be about double for the same chains in more urban or resort areas.

Next price is in the $100-$150 range. These are just a little bit nicer than the previous mentioned and might include a few more ammenities.

Then we get into the$200+ a night and these are you really nice chain hotels with full service, great locations, lots of services (that we probably wouldn't use.) Might include and upscale restaurant or bar.

So I have been doing general surfing, and having trouble finding something similar in price to that first tier of motels. For super cheap, which I don't think is quite what we want, I am finding back packer door accommodations. Then everything else seems to be pretty much $150+.

If that is what we have to budget, we can plan for that, but I was just wondering if Australia has chain motels or B&B that are more in line wit that first tier. If so how do I find them.

Thanks.

Hi, first up, you will get very little in the way of $65 - $70 a night motels in Australia. Australia is not cheap for accommodation. Probably not the news you wanted to hear !

For a couple of nights just outside Sydney, try the Hunter Valley (Cessnock Area) or Kiama on the South Coast. Both around 2to 3 hours drive and nice country, wines etc.

Even 3 star Ibis or Best Western Hotels, will set you back $130 per night. Have a look at some of the chain hotels..Accor (includes Novotel/Ibis), Best Western, Holiday Inn, Golden Chain, Travelodge, Budget, Crown Plaza.

B&B's also available, just google the area you want to stay in, most places you will find a tourist bureau site, with available hotels, motels, B&B's etc.

I am sure others will chip in here with more suggestions for you.

Above all enjoy !

Don't forget the Blue Mountains - only 2-3hrs to the west of Sydney & a good contrast to the coast. We have quite good success with last minute hotel sites like Wotif.com & Lastminute.com where you will be able to get quite good discounts. The "secret" hotels on these sites offer even bigger discounts as you are told the star rating & some of the amenities as well as a general location & find out the actual hotel after booking.

We have quite good success with last minute hotel sites like Wotif.com & Lastminute.com where you will be able to get quite good discounts. The "secret" hotels on these sites offer even bigger discounts as you are told the star rating & some of the amenities as well as a general location & find out the actual hotel after booking.

I agree. We use Wotif. http://www.wotif.com/ Easy to select oyour max rate and region if you use advanced search.

At that time of the year April (if I remember correctly) you should have no problems finding bargains at properties where the rack rate is well over middle range limits, booking a few months ahead or even closer if you can bear the angst. In addition to B&Bs and cheaper chains also consider what are called Tourist Parks, if you are planning a coastal trip. They offer sites for caravan travellers and a range of cabins from simple and VERY basic to luxurious with spa baths, views and "quality inclusions". The Big 4 is an example of a group of linked parks throughoput Australia.

http://www.big4.com.au/

Colleen

Sydney and Sydney surrounds is fairly expensive.

We recommend these two "budget" motel chains across Australia

Golden Chain http://www.goldenchain.com.au/

Budget Motels http://budgetmotelchain.com.au/

They are chains with quite good standards - but "budget". Well, as "budget" as you will get in Oz.

Barry

One thing to note; the prices you see aren't the same as you're used to as ours include tax, whereas you're up for 10-15%+ in taxes on yours. Thus, you should adjust for equivalence e.g. deduct taxes from our prices, or add to yours.

Regarding entry level chains along highways and further out, aside from the two mentioned, some others to look at are Best Western, Country Comfort, Formule 1 and Econolodge or Comfort Inn (part of the Choice group).

The Oaks chain of apartments usually offer very good value and have the amenities for you to cater for yourself re meals etc. instead of eating out all the time also the Vibe chain of Hotels also try Not 1 night and Stayz.com.Around the central coast less than an hour from Sydney Lake Macquarie or Newcastle about an hour and a half from Sydney are great tourist areas and cheaper than Sydney.

Hi Arizona,

You might like to have a look at the following sites;

Need it now (book up to two weeks in advance) I have got 5 star hotels in Sydney CBD for less than $200

Stayz (can book further)

Need it now

Bid 4 Rooms

Formula 1 (horrible by cheap)

Sue (Only my mother calls me Suzanne):)

Aussie 'road trip' accommodation is pricier than the US because we don't have lots of competing motels lined up along the highways outside every town. Often there isn't much choice but Golden Chain is usually reliable for budget overnight stays. But I should warn you that it can be fairly no frills. Clean but basic.

You can also try wego.com and getaroom.com.au tripadvisor.com (hotel search engines).

I tend to work backwards, first I find the area I want to stay in and check tripadvisor out and see some hotel reviews and pick my top two or three hotels that I would be happy with. Then I put those hotels into the search engines above and google and find the lowest price. Often I will take a price and email the hotel directly and they match it or go lower.

Formula 1 (horrible by cheap)
Oh boy I shudder when I remember a stay at one of these yuck. I went on a trip years ago where someone did all the bookings eekkk never again!

OP Don't go Formula 1!

Thanks you so much for your help. I believe you have booked the same cruise as I think I saw you on our roll call. Its a long way off, April 2013, so I have a long time to plan and gather information. We won't be able to book our flight till 330 days out, so we won't know even where we are flying into and what day until almost nine months from now.

I guess I'm just trying to get some of the big questions out of the way first.

I we don't want anything "Horribly cheap" but at the same time we don't need stay at the Ritz Carlton or Waldorf Astoria either. We are also trying to figure what to budget for each portion of the trip. I also don't want to fly all way to Australia and only see the Sydney Airport and Harbor. Hoping to see a bit more.

We'll be in Sydney for 2 night pre-cruise starting March 24, 2012. We're also experiencing a bit of "sticker shock" in our search for a good hotel. Thanks for all the good hints and links to hotels in the Sydney area.

Victoria Court B&B on Victoria St in Potts Point was recommended to us. I have a few concerns about this area. We like to walk and wonder if it's safe to walk from there to Circular Quay....through the Botanical Garden? or is it better, and safer, to use public transport? Are there reasonable restaurants in this area?

Hotels in the Rocks, Circular Quay area are more expensive. Is it worth the extra money to stay there?

We'll be in Sydney for 2 night pre-cruise starting March 24, 2012. We're also experiencing a bit of "sticker shock" in our search for a good hotel. Thanks for all the good hints and links to hotels in the Sydney area.

Victoria Court B&B on Victoria St in Potts Point was recommended to us. I have a few concerns about this area. We like to walk and wonder if it's safe to walk from there to Circular Quay....through the Botanical Garden? or is it better, and safer, to use public transport? Are there reasonable restaurants in this area?

Hotels in the Rocks, Circular Quay area are more expensive. Is it worth the extra money to stay there?

Hi Suzy. I stay in Potts point with my sisters-in-law each March for a walking weekend. The walk from Potts Point past Garden Island & around to Circulard Quay via the foreshore or Botanic gardens is very picturesque & quite safe during daylight hours. Later in the day & at night you would be advised to take a cab or catch a bus if there's a stop near your hotel. The trains are very good but you have to walk through the Kings Cross nightclub district to & from Kings Cross Station so I would only do that by day as well.

We've been planning for 3 nights pre-cruise and 1 night post-cruise in Sydney in Feb/March. When we saw the hotel prices, we began looking into using points instead of cash. We already had quite a few Holiday Inn points and began using our AM Express card to accumulate Sheraton points. Since we're doing a remodeling project, the points have added up quickly. The points are really a bargain - for example, in the US, 10 or 12000 points might get you a $150-$200 room, while in Sydney, they'll get you a $300+ room. Some cards will let you use their points at multiple hotel chains or are redeemable for gift certificates. It's worth looking at. We've been able to book the 3 nights at the Sheraton Darling Harbor and the one night post-cruise at the Holiday Inn near the pier.

Hopefully for you (not us ;)) the dollar will do a reversal.....although us Aussies are loving the monetary role reversal for travel for a change :D

Sydney is the 6th most expensive city in the world. Apparently we were 32nd two years ago :eek:. These facts and figures were recently released:

The Economist uses an index where the cost of living in New York equals 100. So Tokyo, with a top index ranking of 161, may be thought of as 61 percent more expensive than New York. Cost indexes are shown in parentheses.

Ten Most Expensive Cities (New York = 100)

• Tokyo, Japan (161)
  • Oslo, Norway (156)
  • Osaka Kobe, Japan (153)
  • Paris, France (150)
  • Zurich, Switzerland (148)
  • Sydney, Australia (143)
  • Melbourne, Australia (141)
  • Frankfurt, Germany (140)
  • Geneva, Switzerland (138)
  • Singapore (137)

Read more: http://moneywatch.bnet.com/investing/blog/investment-insights/worlds-most-expensive-cities/1998/#ixzz1VkqQTAJU

Have you looked at the American website's where you can bid for a hotel room, have read how people have mentioned to get hotel rooms in Sydney for very reasonable prices?

Yeah, I am not sure if we are supposed to mention the name, but the bid site was mentioned. One friend said that she got the Marriott in down town Sydney for $98, which sound really good. We are definitely going to consider that as we get closer to the cruise.

Our first step is going to be to get a business class or first class flight with Qantas. We have airline miles, but understand that actually being able to use them for business or first class can be pretty tricky. Once we get that taken care of, we will probably seriously look into a hotel.

Hi Suzy. I stay in Potts point with my sisters-in-law each March for a walking weekend. The walk from Potts Point past Garden Island & around to Circulard Quay via the foreshore or Botanic gardens is very picturesque & quite safe during daylight hours. Later in the day & at night you would be advised to take a cab or catch a bus if there's a stop near your hotel. The trains are very good but you have to walk through the Kings Cross nightclub district to & from Kings Cross Station so I would only do that by day as well.

Thanks........and thank you to everyone else for all your helpful suggestions. :)

We ended up going with the cruise line's hotel in Sydney the 3 days before and 1 day after because they had a better rate than what we could get calling on our own. It is a 5 star hotel and we got the transfers with it too, so that was great.

We ended up going with the cruise line's hotel in Sydney the 3 days before and 1 day after because they had a better rate than what we could get calling on our own. It is a 5 star hotel and we got the transfers with it too, so that was great.

Are you sure that you are comparing apples to apples? The cruise line usually quotes a per person charge.

Congratulations on your good rate.

Archived