My Week On The GREATEST Ship In The World! Allure OTS 10/30/11: A Pictorial Review!

I have started writing the review of my cruise on Allure last week. There is simply too much for me to write it in one sitting so I'm just going to have to post it up little by little. I think it will work out better this way, since I have a ton of pictures to sort through and post along with it. So bear with me folks this will probably be a multi-day, or possibly a multi-week affair. But rest assured that I will deliver as complete a report as I possibly can.

Foreword

The Allure of the Seas is a rock star. Her arrival or departure at a port causes everyone to stop and stare. Whether they are millionaires on a yacht, dockworkers or fellow cruisers on another ship, everyone is impressed by monumentality. The Allure is monumental to be sure. The fact that humans built something so gigantic, complex and magnificent is nothing short of amazing. Having been aboard such an amazing piece of engineering makes me wonder what else the ship designers could possibly put on a ocean going vessel. I cannot wait to find out!

Pre Cruise

My wife and I booked this cruise over a year ago while we were on Freedom of the Seas. At the time it was hard to fathom that any ship could be more impressive than Freedom. I could tell from pictures that Allure would be bigger. I could also tell that it had a park and a boardwalk. But the actual experience would prove to be much more impressive than viewing pictures could ever be.

We drove down the day before the cruise and stayed at the Westin in North Ft. Lauderdale. The hotel was very nice and easy to find being right off I-95. We had a nice dinner at Southport Raw Bar followed by ice cream at Jaxson’s. The next morning we drove to the port and parked at Park-n-Go. They have a nice lot near Port Everglades and offer shuttle service to and from the terminal. We only paid $5.99 per day, which is much lower than the $15 to park at the pier.

Our room at the Westin

P1000988.jpg

P1000987.jpg

P1000998.jpg

I was surprised by how quickly embarkation went. The new terminal is huge and they have numerous security and check-in lines to handle the large crowds. Having arrived at the pier around 11 AM, we were checked in and waiting upstairs before 11:30. They began loading the ship soon thereafter and we were on board before noon.

My first glimpse of Allure

P1010002.jpg

In the terminal

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

A playground in the upstairs waiting area

P1010007.jpg

That takes care of the pre cruise stuff. Unfortunately I have to work in the morning, so that is all I have time for this evening. I will be back on tomorrow after work and we will start looking around inside the biggest ship in the world! :D

Foreword

r fellow cruisers on another ship,!

Yea, its cool to look down on other cruisers ;) But seriously, I do like looking at other ships in port and you do get good view from Allure. Looking forward to re-experiencing my cruise through yours.

P1010019.jpg

Whoo hoo, a rare picture that shows my balcony! Look at the right support underneath the cantilevered hot tub, go down up more deck to deck 12, go forward two balconies and there is my deck 12 balcony. Yes, if you looked out from the hot tub you could look into part of my balcony.

I always love your reviews Grady. We were getting off Allure when you got on. I did Oasis last year and decided to take my mother on this ship. She has been on numerous cruises, but was completely blown away by this beautiful ship. It was fun to see her reactions all week.

So glad I stumbled upon this, Grady. I'm a fan of your reviews and can't wait to read this one.

We were on Allure this past March and are going again in February with our family - all 21 of us! As you said, there's no way to appreciate the ship's grandness until you see her in person. I'm not sure if I'm more excited to sail on her again or watch my family's eyes pop out as they see her for the first time. :)

Looking forward to reading the rest.

I have to agree, this ship is magnificent. From embarktion to the end of the cruise, it was a great experience. Kudos goes to Royal Caribbean for getting it right. We had a fantastic time on our cruise in early October. Would love to go on her again or the Oasis.:D:D:D

We were on Allure this past March and are going again in February with our family - all 21 of us! As you said, there's no way to appreciate the ship's grandness until you see her in person. I'm not sure if I'm more excited to sail on her again or watch my family's eyes pop out as they see her for the first time. :)

Looking forward to reading the rest.

That would be fun. I remember your reviews keeping me going till we went in May. My wife and I cruised on Navigator with my sister and her husband and they had a similar experience. I'd love to take them on Allure. Who knows, it may happen.

I enjoy your reviews and am looking forward to this one. I was on the same cruise and have started my own review in Word, though I am not confident about my ability to post pictures. I also see another review started, so it should be fun to read about the same cruise from three different perspectives.

The Greatest Ship Ever Built

I have written many reviews of cruise ships in the past, but this one is going to take quite a bit more effort. The only logical way to cover such a gigantic ship is break it into sections and take it piece by piece. Royal Caribbean has chosen to divide the ship into “neighborhoods”, so I shall do likewise.

Covering most of Deck 5 is the biggest-yet incarnation of the Royal Promenade. It is also the first neighborhood visited upon entering the ship. There are seven large anchor areas in the neighborhood along with numerous smaller shops. “Boleros”, the Latin themed dance club. The “On Air”, which is a mixed use sports bar and karaoke lounge. “Bow and Stern” is the ship’s British pub. “Sorrento’s Pizzeria” is directly across the street. Unlike its Freedom Class counterpart, most of the seating is outside in the Promenade. I think I prefer the setup on Freedom, it felt more like sitting in an authentic pizzeria. “Café Promenade” has a nice selection of pastries, cookies, coffees, teas and deli sandwiches. Guest Services is next door. The addition of self-serve kiosks allows guests to check their Seapass accounts and other functions without seeing a staff member. The “Champagne Bar” is across from Guest Relations, as well as the lower landing of the “Rising Tide Bar”.

One is immediately taken aback by the scale and openness of the space. Unlike the promenades on the Voyager and Freedom class ships, the Allure’s has a second level with balconies for the Schooner Bar (above Guest Services), Focus Photo Gallery (above the Champagne Bar) and The Diamond Club (above Boleros). Aside from those balconies, the other venues have faux second levels that give an illusion of height even though Allure’s Promenade is actually one deck shorter than those on the older ships. Large glass skylights let in natural light from Central Park above.